Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everythink of the Pauxhall Monaro? I quite fancy going for a test drive in one at the weekend as there are a couple local to me at the dealers. Only the 5.7 ones though but I think that should be quite entertining.

J.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I think they are absolutely astounding cars. If you decide to buy one, I'll be making a trip your way for you to take me out for a spin! [:p]

·
Registered
558 Posts
You can import a supercharger from the states for the 5.7 for about ?1,500.  There are so many tuning options for that engine.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Its OK I guess if you like that sort of thing, but I would not buy one. It will depreciate more quickly than it accelarates and the weekly petrol cost will be as high, numerically, as its top speed!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I thought these had nothing to do with Vauxhall in the same way a
Chevrolet Matiz is not an actual Chevy, just a re-badge job? I know you
can order Holden badges instead of Vauxhall ones

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Go for it, RWD fun, fantastic noise, rave reviews...practical two with
four seats and a boot. German isn't the be all and end all, I think a
Monaro could be an awful lot of fun!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Whole lot of car for the ?? - has to be said that you'd be better off with an already depreciated late / low miles example. But I recall a previous thread where you mentioned you like the new experience - fair enough, but it'll cost you. As the man said, it's a Holden - the V8 has the Corvette motor + box and is eminently tunable, how fast can you afford to go...[6]

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Going to be good this time and go for second hand if at all, just a whim at the moment I bought a diesel as I thought I was going to be doing a lot more miles than I am and I quite fancy a big v8 and RWD. The fuel economy isn't as bad as an R32 believe it or not.

But it is only a whim at the moment, I still love my Audi but I'm convinced it's jinx'd - puncture last thursday, another tuesday (different tyre), knackered CV joint, broken windscreen. I know they are only coincidences but hey I'm going for jinx'd!!!!

Not sure if I can life with a non german car though. Watch this space got a couple of nearly new ones to look at saturday after house hunting.

J.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hope I didnt dream this but...

Are they not discontinuing the Monaro? Thought I heard it on Top Gear couple of weeks ago?

I love it personally! Looks superb!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
you heard right the are stopping uk production of the monaro but dont worry they are better used and the engines last forever. you can also get them turbod for not alot of money to 600+BHP 

·
Registered
521 Posts
I was out in a monaro VXR at silverstone last weekend....they are awesome for a vauxhaul i was very suprised but after going round the race track side ways most of the time with the tyres alight i got out with a big grin on my face.[:D]

·
Registered
627 Posts
Think its an awesome car myself!!

Forget the snob value of the vauxhall badge.. and forget the Vectra.
They're making/rebadging some pretty nice cars these days. Monaro,
VX220 and the Astra VXR..

As for the Monaro.. I love its looks and it just appears to be a pure
honest blast! Bloke on our estate has one and the sound it makes is
fantastic. I'm gutted that this car is being discontinued. Between that
and a similarly priced car, bang for buck the Monaro is gonna be a LOT
more fun.. the sideways experiment on Top Gear topped it off. I want
one!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Any petrol head knows its a Holden just wearing a Vauxhall badge.  With the AUD where it is you can get the Holden Monaro CV8Z (equiv of Vaux Monaro VXR) for ?25,500.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Might well have to try one out. Since buying our top spec Astra, our dealer has been rather friendly.

That and a VX220T should be a right blast.

Admit that most Vauxhalls are still a bit naff but before you all do your naive and very "Daily Mail" reader bit, try a top line (NOT a base model as most people do - They'll compare a base model Astra to a near top of the range A3/Golf/whatever and draw conclusions from that) Astra.

After trying loads of A3s, Golfs, Boras, Octavias, Focus, etc it was ahead by a country mile.

Best handler, looker, level on build quality, quickest and best value.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Any petrol head knows its a Holden just wearing a
Vauxhall badge. With the AUD where it is you can get the Holden
Monaro CV8Z (equiv of Vaux Monaro VXR) for ?25,500.
I wonder if its economially viable to stick one in a container in Oz and ship it back...could be quite a nice saving?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts