Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
I did a little bit of CTR research a while back as I was considering getting one, the advice I can offer here is that you should go with one of the tried and tested CAI's as making additional power on these engines is pretty hard as they are very well engineered as standard. Many aftermarket CAIs and Exhausts that are available for the CTR actually lose power (exhausts especially). The two makes of CAI that spring to mind that are confirmed to give gains are AEM and GruppeM.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
A friend of mine had a GruppeM CAI on his BMW 325, that was really loud
at full belt but sounded great if you are into that kind of thing.

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
Nice one David

I will have to check out some reviews of the K-Tec induction kit. I'm not going to start modding mine until the new year and may go for the AEM CAI, although I may put a little aside each month without the fiancee knowing and go for the Gruppe M after seeing this clip: http://gallery.themspros.com/albums/album04/Spoon_N1_Gruppe_M.mpg

[:O][H][H]

Let the modding commence....................[Y][Y]

·
Registered
874 Posts
My mate has a CAI (don't know which one) and a Spoon exhaust which looks crap 'cos it's a single 3" pipe.

However, the combo got him up to 213bhp on the rollers! Standard cars were putting out between 197 and 200 bhp so the rollers must have been fairly accuarate.

The CAI sounds fantastic but the exhaust sounds like a chavved up Saxo.

It's amazing though when you consider that the kit he's got is worth over a grand (he bought them both second hand) and it gave him 16bhp. You can get 3 times that power increase for less than half the money in a Golf turbo![:O]

·
Registered
418 Posts
As an X-CTR owner I've got a few tips for you [:)] dont go for an internal CAI as the heat generated by the engine effects the perormance on warm days if your going for an indiction kit I'd recommend either a AEM v1 http://www.aempower.com or what I went for was the Icebox made by comptech http://www.comptechusa.com . I was lucky enough to get one while over in the states and bring it back but there are plenty of places that sell them now just do a google [:)]

Exhaust wise the spoons hard to beat for getting extra performance as long as you go with the b-pipe as well, other options i can recommend is having a exhaust built as a couple of my CTR owning mates have done with a company called Top Gear in Burnley but i think they have branches all over the UK http://www.topgear.co.uk

Other mods that I think are worth doing if you have the cash is a supercharger [6] two of my mates have these and are kicking out 270+ bhp.

Enjoy the CTR's guys there top cars I had so much fun in mine!

Chris

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
What about HKS tuning?? they do some crazy stuff for japs cars, like my
mates got a old school twincam corrola tuned up to just under 220bhp
(standard car about 120-130) and its light as a feather but it goes
like the wind and the noise it makes it phwoaar sounds like a propper
track car.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
track car.
HKS ones are shockingly bad for Civics. Mainly, as stated above,
they sit open in the engine bay, fine when you're on the move but
getting away is seriously crippled as its breathing nothing but hot
spongy air.

I'll be looking at a BMC CDA or a carbon feed directly from the front so i get nothing but cold dense air [:)]

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome have started doing stuff for the
CTR, haven't looked what they actually do but it could be a
start!
Just had a look and the Neuspeed filter they have is also an open
one. You do get a nice heatshield with it mind, so some cold feed
piping could make that really tempting too!

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
track car.
HKS ones are shockingly bad for Civics. Mainly, as stated above,
they sit open in the engine bay, fine when you're on the move but
getting away is seriously crippled as its breathing nothing but hot
spongy air.

I'll be looking at a BMC CDA or a carbon feed directly from the front so i get nothing but cold dense air [:)]
So you want a force fed induction kit have you not looked at the viper kits by pipercross, heres a pic of one on a civic.

Posted Image

Can you see the two red things on the corners of the bumpers thats
where there force fed from and this is how big the filters are.

Posted Image

two things in that pic, its either the filters very big or the girls very small lol.

Sat

·
Registered
690 Posts
What about HKS tuning?? they do some crazy stuff for japs cars, like my mates got a old school twincam corrola tuned up to just under 220bhp (standard car about 120-130) and its light as a feather but it goes like the wind and the noise it makes it phwoaar sounds like a propper track car.
The AE86? [Y]

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
What about HKS tuning??
they do some crazy stuff for japs cars, like my mates got a old school
twincam corrola tuned up to just under 220bhp (standard car about
120-130) and its light as a feather but it goes like the wind and the
noise it makes it phwoaar sounds like a propper track car.
The AE86? [Y]
Don't know what that is but all i know is that the cars a B reg and was
the lightest corrola out of all the corrola's and its pretty rare
to see one in mint condition like his.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
What about HKS tuning?? they do some crazy stuff for japs cars, like my mates got a old school twincam corrola tuned up to just under 220bhp (standard car about 120-130) and its light as a feather but it goes like the wind and the noise it makes it phwoaar sounds like a propper track car.
HKS ones are shockingly bad for Civics. Mainly, as stated above, they sit open in the engine bay, fine when you're on the move but getting away is seriously crippled as its breathing nothing but hot spongy air.

So you want a force fed induction kit have you not looked at the viper kits by pipercross, heres a pic of one on a civic.

Posted Image

Can you see the two red things on the corners of the bumpers thats where there force fed from and this is how big the filters are.

Posted Image

two things in that pic, its either the filters very big or the girls very small lol.

Sat
There's three things that are big in that pic ! [6]

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
What about HKS tuning?? they do
some crazy stuff for japs cars, like my mates got a old school twincam
corrola tuned up to just under 220bhp (standard car about 120-130) and
its light as a feather but it goes like the wind and the noise it makes
it phwoaar sounds like a propper track car.
HKS ones
are shockingly bad for Civics. Mainly, as stated above, they sit
open in the engine bay, fine when you're on the move but getting away
is seriously crippled as its breathing nothing but hot spongy air.

Posted Image

Can
you see the two red things on the corners of the bumpers thats where
there force fed from and this is how big the filters are.

Posted Image

Sat
There's three things that are big in that pic ! [6]
why didnt i thinkof that...

them umbrellas are huge aren't they [;)]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
....although I may put a little aside each month without the fiancee knowing....
I'm gonna tell Hayley.... I'm gonna tell Hayley.... I'm gonna tell Hayley.... I'm gonna tell Hayley....

[6] [:p]
Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!![:#][:#][:#][;)][;)][;)]
Ooookay then.. I'll keep schtum.. unless I get trolleyed at the xmas do and start ranting.... [6]

[:p] I'll keep it [:#]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts