Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume quite a few of you have gone down the route of modifying your standard air boxes by smoothing the insides and routeing a larger intake pipe or ducting to feed it.

Has anybody got any pictures or know of any threads relating to this?

I?m very interested in seeing what people have done with regards to the intake pipework.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Indeed - been thinking about this for a loooong time. Main stumbling block seems to be acquiring 75mm ducting for a sensible (i.e. not ?20/m) price ...

If removing all the baffles in the airbox helps the airflow so much - why the hell are they there? (confused)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Quote: posted by GaryM on 04/10/2004 13:57:34

I assume quite a few of you have gone down the route of modifying your standard air boxes by smoothing the insides and routeing a larger intake pipe or ducting to feed it.

Has anybody got any pictures or know of any threads relating to this?

I?m very interested in seeing what people have done with regards to the intake pipework.

HAHAHA...... copy cat! [:p]

·
Registered
614 Posts
so where is then best place to get a filter from as i am in awesome on 14 for turbo back milltex but a lot of people say dont use a K+N as it suck oil on to the MAF i see alot useing them and alot say dont please help

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote: posted by EddyH on 04/10/2004 18:10:19

Good thread from Vortex here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=666711

Shows that airflow is up compared to a CAI.

Nice link Eddy. Thanks. The fins in the bottom don't look like they would cause much disruption to the airflow, they're very small. Anyone know what the ones in the top look like before they're smoothed out? (I know - just take the top off and have a look lol [8D])

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you need larger than 50mm TBH, more like 75mm (3") at a minimum and ideally closer to 90mm.

B&Q sell 100mm (4") rigid aluminum ducting at around ?5 - ?6 which I think you may just get in there by squashing it to an oval shape to pass the headlight.

You have to beware of the inner ribs causing turbulence though.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I logged my MAF airflow last night with my Dynatwist and hit a maximum of 163 g/s so at least I'll know if there's an improvement when I fit my modded airbox and ducting by checking the airflow again.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have just put my smooth standard airbox back on using the standard VW paper filter and used the same pipe which fed my Dynatwist - I havent changed anything at all, its still in the same place behind the wing. I didnt want to squash it so I just pushed it against the airbox oval intake hole for now.

I have just been down the same road with the same variables on my SPS3 (dont know if that matters or not), the only difference being that the ambient temperature is 3 degrees warmer than last night.

The peak MAF reading I have just logged were 179.83 g/s compared to 163 g/s with the Dynatwist, thats 16.83 g/s higher!! and I havent even routed a larger pipe, mated it to the airbox correctly or directed it straight at the front OS grille!!

The car definatly feels a little more torquey though the real test will be JBS's RR when I'll run it in the same conditions as I did with the Dynatwist to get some real figures.

Overall Im quite happy [:D]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote: posted by GaryM on 05/10/2004 15:17:21

I have just put my smooth standard airbox back on using the standard VW paper filter and used the same pipe which fed my Dynatwist - I havent changed anything at all, its still in the same place behind the wing. I didnt want to squash it so I just pushed it against the airbox oval intake hole for now.

I have just been down the same road with the same variables on my SPS3 (dont know if that matters or not), the only difference being that the ambient temperature is 3 degrees warmer than last night.

The peak MAF reading I have just logged were 179.83 g/s compared to 163 g/s with the Dynatwist, thats 16.83 g/s higher!! and I havent even routed a larger pipe, mated it to the airbox correctly or directed it straight at the front OS grille!!

The car definatly feels a little more torquey though the real test will be JBS's RR when I'll run it in the same conditions as I did with the Dynatwist to get some real figures.

Overall Im quite happy [:D]

Great stuff! How is the logging done? Is this a VAG-COM thing? Can it be done with the Clima display also?

What's the general concensus on removing the trumpet?

1 - 20 of 155 Posts