Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My contract with Orange is about to run out, ive been with them for about 4 years. The problem this time round is that in the last 2 days i've had calls from companies saying they are calling on behalf of orange upgrade centres asking me if i want to upgrade with them?

Ive called orange and they said they never give out customers mobile numbers so where are these companies getting the numbers from? Orange assure me that these companies are not acting on their behalf. Ive never experienced this at upgrade time in previous years so whats changed?

Any users of other networks or indeed orange come across this?

Ive now had 5 calls in 2 days and am getting slightly p****d off at it, not going to be long before i get rude with some call centre drone.

Phew rant over i feel a lot calmer now.

·
Registered
965 Posts
No have not had that, though a year ago I left T-Mobile for obvious
reasons and went to O2 and T-Mobile still send me texts saying I am
entitled to my free ugrade!!!!

I also had a mysterious caller, you now the types that call you and no
one is there (the computer generated ones) well got really fed up on
getting one a day for about 2 weeks, complained to O2 they gave me a
number to call their Nuisance Call dept, they traced the calls for me
and found out who they were and what they were for and since then I
have not had another call. Top service from O2! I would recommend them
anyday!!!

[:D]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
i had one a couple of weeks ago wanting to upgrade my vodafone contract... i havnt been on voda in 3 years, i ported my number to orange

The ironic thing the company had rang me earlier in the day when i couldnt answer so i put it through to voicemail which starts with

"welcome to the orange answerphone" LOL

·
Registered
965 Posts
Thanks katy, im thinking of changing
to 02 because i can get double the minutes and texts i get now for a
5er cheaper and i dont need a new phone so maybe i will give them a
look.
If you do an online contract check the online tariffs out here o2 as the online tariffs give you way more than a high street one so you could end up with loads.

I am still trying to convince the other half to swap over....best thing I ever did in my opinion!

Good Luck with it!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've had exactly the same - my contract with Orange is up in a couple of weeks time and I've had at least 5 companies cold-calling. I get more hacked off with unsollicited texts - got sent a bible passage from one comany the other day - asking me if I wanted to subscribe to their daily bible text!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I've only ever had this with Orange too, how bizarre!! I politely said 'no' as it didnt sound right..... god knows where my money would've went.

My Vodafone contract currently has 2 months remaining, and im probably gonna switch to O2, how long before your current contract ends do you lot normally leave it to 'sign up' with a new provider?? I NEED a new phone, and whilst Vodafone will offer me an upgrade now, the O2 contracts are far more appealing.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
If u dont want 2 pay off ur existing line rental then u cant upgrade and get your pac number untill 12months have passed

However o2 may allow you to port the number iin say 2months time so get the new phone and then get the number ported over

Of course you can get a new number if you wished

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Yup. I am with Orange too and have had a call recently from a company claiming to be representing Orange and I told them nicely where to go.

IMO Orange are crap these days with regard to cutomer service and are only interested in you when it comes to contract renewal time.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I've only been on a contract for about 3 months but I still get calls telling me that my contract is up for renewal[:mad:] Even when I was on PAYG I got the same calls and they sounded surprised when I told them I was on PAYG.

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
I used to be with Orange, and did get these companies phoning too, best bet if you want to stay with Orange is phone them yourself and do an upgrade deal overt the phone, basically tell them to cut the crap and give you the deal you want or you will change to O2, normally works to get both a reduction in tarrif/more minutes and a decent phone.

I ended up giving Orange the boot though as their reception can be a bit patchy out my way, plus I could get a slightly better deal on the phone I wanted from O2. Got my PAC code and took my number to O2. Never looked back in the last 2 years and just signed for another 12 months. Never lost a call due to dodgy reception either.

Upgraded to a Nokia N70, its just the best phone ever [Y]

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you do an online contract check the online tariffs out here o2 as the online tariffs give you way more than a high street one so you could end up with loads.

I am still trying to convince the other half to swap over....best thing I ever did in my opinion!

Good Luck with it!

they look like some seriously good deals on there, but one bloke at work has said his ole dear has trouble with lost texts and calls not going through first time anybody had similar experiences.

Im reluctant to change from orange because ive been there so long, so if i do i wanna get the best possible information first.

1) I take it i can take my number?

2) Will i get billed direct from o2 as with orange and not a 3rd party?

3) Looks like 18month contracts online can i get a 12month one?

4) If not do i have to wait 18months to upgrade my handset?

Thats all i can think of for now other than give me a general thumbs up or down for your experiences with o2. so come on peeps convince me to switch [;)]

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

Good Luck with it!

1) Yes

2) Yes - All via e-mail

3) Yes, there's a 12-month tab next to the 18-month on (However, with 18-month contracts you get 50% more mins/texts)

4) 11 months on a 12 month contract and 16 months on an 18 month contract
I've been with O2 Online for about 6 years now (pretty much since they
started), changed to PM about 4 years ago. Superb in every aspect.

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Upgraded to a Nokia N70, its just the best phone ever [Y]
I had a look at one of these on Sat. Looks very similar in capabilities to my year old Nokia 6630 with the exception of the better cameras.

Have they sorted the software on it to stop hanging, crashing etc?
I've had it for a week now and am well chuffed with it. Upgraded from a 7610 which had a habit of hanging and crashing too.

No problems with it yet at all.

Only downside that annoys me is that they have changed the charger jack plug to a smaller one. They supply a new wall charger and one adaptor for an old style charger so its not all bad. But for convenience I have Nokia chargers scattered around the house, work and my girlfriends so now I am only able to use 2 chargers [:(]

·
Registered
521 Posts
i have had similar problems with orange and i am forever having companies contacting me regards upgrades and it does my head in ...i have been with orabge since they launched, and in that time i have had loads of grief, not to mention terrible customer service, they could not care how long you have been with them and it seems new customers get better deals than long standing customers....i think its time for a change.

·
Registered
965 Posts

Good Luck with it!

they look like some seriously good deals on there, but one bloke at
work has said his ole dear has trouble with lost texts and calls not
going through first time anybody had similar experiences.

Im reluctant to change from orange because ive been there so long, so if i do i wanna get the best possible information first.

1) I take it i can take my number?

2) Will i get billed direct from o2 as with orange and not a 3rd party?

3) Looks like 18month contracts online can i get a 12month one?

4) If not do i have to wait 18months to upgrade my handset?

Thats all i can think of for now other than give me a general thumbs
up or down for your experiences with o2. so come on peeps convince me
to switch [;)]
As said already yes to all you ask, I have been with 02 for just over a
year I have never had a problem with calls texts etc or signal issues
nothing to complain about. And remember too once you have been with o2
for a bit you can get o2 Treats they offer you either free mins or free
texts for a few months on your contract as a thank you. Also when you
upgrade or just renew contract they will offer you either half price
line rental or free mins/texts then too.

o2 Treats

Seriously it was the best move I have ever made I was with T-Mobile
since 1992 and they offer nada, it took me a while to make the move and
did think long and hard but did it none the less! I kept my number too.
[Y]

If you call them they will send out a phone with a new number, you
contact Orange for a PAC code and then the transfer takes about 5-7
days to go through.

On the day mine transferred there was about 2 hours that day that I
could ring my T-Mobile number and both my T-Mobile and o2 would ring
Quite bizarre!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just an update, im now with o2 just waiting for my old number to be ported across and winding up my mates by texting them from my new number and they dont know who it is [6].

Got a new phone sony w800 for nowt and got 300mins anytime any network + 750 texts for ?30 which seems to be a good deal. Only downer is its an 18month contract but nevermind.

O2 seems pretty good so far......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts