second one to chuck in the Sharan [aka kids party bus] cos they are
sooooo cheap from the u.s is mad.

This mod is very simple to do by the looks of it too[:D]

Good find Zak!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Looks simple enough to do.

It does not state if this mod is for MFD version D or G though?

I have a version D and my Phatnoise occasionally skips and jumps to FM mode.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Phatnoise in the States told me that the MFD issues were common to the
D and G models, so this should sort yours too Sem, mine never skips of
bombs out to FM now.

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, as a8wpg stated there are two ways that the phatbox can be converted to run properly, the first is the change of eprom, ive been looking on the satnav forum, and its quite difficult, but the chip is available from the a US electronics store, or the easier method which i,ll do first is the jumper wire method and the updated phatnoise firmware, if it makes it work properly i,ll stick with it!, it also gives me a chance to trim the ally phatbox down so that i can fit it either under the seat or in the glovebox.

zak[:)]

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Does anyone know if this will also cure the engine whine problem, without having to fit a suppressor to the system ?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Does anyone know if this will also cure the engine whine problem, without having to fit a suppressor to the system ?
It might do as the diagram shows they are adding an extra ground into the system?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Just done this mod to my Phatnoise which is controlled by a version D MFD.

I haven't been on a long drive yet to fully test it but can confirm the Phatnoise and navi unit still work!

I shall know for sure next week if it fixes the skipping/crashing out to FM issue.

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Sem, you couldnt tell me what the part number on the bottom of your phatbox is, could you?, also any tips when you did the mod?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I will have to pull the phatbox out later to get the part number mate.

Tips - use a good quality soldering iron with a very thin pencil tip. I use a Weller temperature controlled unit. Make sure you tin the ends of the jumper wires and only use a small amount of solder when soldering them to the motherboard. If you use too much you risk bridging the other pins. There is not much room to work with so take your time, check and double the connections that you have made with a magnifying glass to ensure you have not shorted anything.

I was quite surprised how small the Phatbox internals are, the metal chassis is just 'padding' so it can fit into a CD changer bracket. I'm now thinking about re-housing mine in a custom smaller enclosure and mounting it under the seat. I really want to stealth my sub in the space currently occupied by the phatbox.

BTW......did a 40 mile round trip this morning and during this time the phatbox did not skip or jump to FM mode! This journey took around an hour and normally the phatbox would have jumped to FM mode at least once.

Will test it throughout the week and let you all know the results.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Very interesting!!! Tempted to try this, although looks a bit scary!!
Just wonder if Phatnoise will still do the fix FOC? If so I'd rather
pay the postage and get it done that way, don't really trust myself!!

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes i,m a bit worried, but i,ll follow sems advice, and hopefully i shouldnt go wrong!!!!.

Zak

·
Registered
74 Posts
Anybody tried this mod with a Gamma rather than an MFD? Is the firmware on that site specific to the MFD units only?

Also any news on whether this mod alone cures the alternator whine issues?

Just a thought, but what about making the jumped connections at the plug side rather than on the board itself - would mean making up a custom plug adapter (but this was done before anyway wasn't it with the little ribbon cables leads some people made up to mount the Phatbox further back in the changer mount). Would potentially avoid the need to void the warranty too. Presumably this is what the cutsom wiring harness suggested on the site is talking about? Would surely be a market for these is someone was to make some up to sell...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Good Point, I did think about that after reading this post last night. rfsteel is our guru in that dept, what you think mate?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I have some spare connectors in stock, so it's possible give it a go,
though the small problem I have, is that I'm moving to work in the US
from this Sunday.

I have no problem is sending out a pair connectors to anyone wishing to try it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'll give it a go, rather trying that than cracking the box open!!! [:D]

Should it be successful maybe we can gather some interest and get some made? What do folks think?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Quick update.

Whilst I'm away, a good friend of mine will look into obtain some PCB
board, and ribbon cable connectors, so that the cable modification can
be done on the PCB board, and not at the connectors. This will mean
that PCB can just be used cut into the current connects that members
have previously purchased.

So as an idea, the PCB board will just contain two connectors so a simlar style to these

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
UPDATE

I can confirm that my phatnoise has not skipped or jumped to FM mode since I did this mod.

I use it for approx 2 hours a day and it's been perfect [:D]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts