Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[:)]So boys and girls of the MKV era ; im looking at changing next year and ive almost made up my mind that it will be the GTI ( with dsg) [:D] And i would like to know how you are all getting on with them . Is it a buy i won't regret ! Your valued opinions are greatly appreciated folks.

Also anyone got any info on what the GT 170 is like cos im getting nagged to try a diesol ( and i don't really want to ; if you get my drift ) [;)]

Thankyou kindly for any advice / comments [:D]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well i drove the 170 TDI today in a seat leon FR and I quite liked it.. didnt get that great fuel consumption but I was giving it some stick... I did like it... but its not a GTI [:D] Also sounded quite good for a diesel.. the exhaust note wasa quite nice and the clatter was not that bad up front

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry taken me while to reply ( working nights)

So by that comment u feel the same as me it aint a GTI but it's an ok drive.And the diesol for all it's good will never replace the GTI / is that right ?

Somebody is on my side i hope ![:D]

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
When I chose this car ( its a company one ), I did it solely for taxation purposes. This car costs me ?100 per month less than a GTi would have done and at the time, I had a 318i which was costing nigh on ?300 per month in tax ( inc fuel ). A GTi would have cost me ?294 so no saving over the BMW and after 4 years of ownership, this would have increased to ?390.

In hindsight, and whilst the re-map has greatly improved performance, I should have bought a GTi. After all, I don't pay for any fuel myself so who gives a toss if it does 25mpg instead of 45mpg ? I honestly believe that the poor build quality of my car has not been helped by the "nature" of a diesel engine and this has contributed towards the numerous rattles that my car still has.

Next time, I'll go for a lower spec car and get a petrol & a re-map. If VW pull their finger out, maybe it'll be a GTi in 2.1/2 years time but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the info mate [:D] So as im buying this for myself ( not company use ) the petrol wins ; looks like the GTI MK V will be the next VW on my drive.[:D]

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have already earmarked the 18's and DSG box and think i will go for Diamond Black again / yes i know it's a pig to keep clean but my mkiv looks the dogs when she is cleaned up.

Anybody recommend any other must have options that i should look at?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Im getting a mk5 gti in september and im coming from a gt tdi 140 mk5. so keep your eyes peeled for a review and a comparison between the 2.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Have already earmarked the 18's and DSG box and think i will go for Diamond Black again / yes i know it's a pig to keep clean but my mkiv looks the dogs when she is cleaned up.

Anybody recommend any other must have options that i should look at?
a highline computer for ?45

·
Registered
178 Posts
consider getting bi-xenons, in auto express the worst standard lights they tested were the mk5 golf and the best xenon lights they tested were the mk5 golf, so quite a difference and i know there ?745 but im thinking they'll be worth it.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I love mine!, my third dub and the best by a long shot.......[H][H]

'Must have' options imo are: 18's, highline computer, interlagos cloth (sooooo retro!) and front centre armrest with built in cd changer as this makes the centre console look much nicer imo and makes the installation of a factory USB/iPod dock and/or factory Sat Nav much much easier.....

·
Registered
178 Posts
I love mine!, my third dub and the best by a long shot.......[H][H]

'Must have' options imo are: 18's, highline computer, interlagos cloth (sooooo retro!) and front centre armrest with built in cd changer as this makes the centre console look much nicer imo and makes the installation of a factory USB/iPod dock and/or factory Sat Nav much much easier.....
i agree centre armrest just finishes off the centre of the car nicely.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sorry been out all day ( dragged off shopping) i will be part x mkiv and also putting cash down . Any reason why u ask?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts