Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Mkv versus Mkiv - Pros.

2K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  curley 
#1 ·
What do you think is better about the Mkv over the Mkiv? I'll kick off with a few points of my own, in no particular order :

Handling is a big improvement. The car rolls much less and turns in better.

Headlights are vastly better, and you can get at the bulbs easier.

Driving position ? I can actually get the seat too low in this one.

Brakes have a bit more bite.

Handbrake has a nicer feel and pulls up against a spring. I trust it to hold.

Side repeaters in the door mirrors. You can see that you?re signalling as you check the rear view.

Lane change signal. A useful three flashes for a touch on the indicator lever.

Range reading on the trip computer.

Boot light is better placed, higher up, so it does its job.

Engine - 140PS 2 litre diesel revs out, almost like a petrol, with a much nicer noise than 150PD.

Plastic wood has disappeared from the dash.

More room in the back seats.

Sunglasses holder in the roof light. Using this ? didn?t think I would.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #10 ·
Just got back to Scarborough from Lincoln - my first longish trip in the wet. Rain and spray were both variable and, at times, very heavy and the auto-wipers were a revalation. Absolutely indispensible, so I will add them to my list of pros - they were in the cons, as a waste of money, along with the auto lights, which I still wouldn't choose to buy.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
IMHO the Mkv armrest is a must have. (One which I didn't spec!) A ?150 pound option that adds about ?500 to the look of the interior. Never mind that it gets in the way, doesn't work as an armrest, isn't strong enough etc. It transforms cheap as chips to something with a bit more class.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
You must be talking about the MKIV arm rest. The MKV one does not get in the way, works perfectly well as am armrest and can have the full weight of a 17 stone bloke on without snapping.
Just comments I'd picked up on here. A definite must have then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.