Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think is better about the Mkv over the Mkiv? I'll kick off with a few points of my own, in no particular order :

Handling is a big improvement. The car rolls much less and turns in better.

Headlights are vastly better, and you can get at the bulbs easier.

Driving position ? I can actually get the seat too low in this one.

Brakes have a bit more bite.

Handbrake has a nicer feel and pulls up against a spring. I trust it to hold.

Side repeaters in the door mirrors. You can see that you?re signalling as you check the rear view.

Lane change signal. A useful three flashes for a touch on the indicator lever.

Range reading on the trip computer.

Boot light is better placed, higher up, so it does its job.

Engine - 140PS 2 litre diesel revs out, almost like a petrol, with a much nicer noise than 150PD.

Plastic wood has disappeared from the dash.

More room in the back seats.

Sunglasses holder in the roof light. Using this ? didn?t think I would.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I love the rear interior space, I use the autolights and rain sensors
all the time, love the coming home light feature and love the solid
feeling when I close the door. The handling is much better, the stance
of the car is more aggressive and it beats my 1.4 all day long to 60.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
TT - I think you've got quite a sound list there, only two of those I'd query however. One, the brakes on my GTI don't give me as safe a feeling as my old mk4 tdi. Two, the lane change function is handy, but also highly dangerous if you're not careful - as you can't cancel it without locking the switch on then off. Seen several people (not jus in VAGs) who've hit it by accident and nearly been wiped out [:)] (Me included in ahire car last year - oops [:|])

I find the comfort factor in the seats (standard seats in the old tdi, standard gti leather seats now) more comfy - the lumbar support is way better too [:D]

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Here's my Mk5 140 postive bits......

Handling/Ride is a huge huge improvement, adding the electronic steering makes it utterly stable at high speeds and

great composure round bends. It also doesn't feel 'front heavy'. Mighty impressive.

Auto Coming home light thingy - very handy and aids security.

The engine is quieter, performs like a petrol and gives a much smoother power delivery and the noise isn't too bad either.

3rd gear is more useable and less strained in towns.

Seats are more comfy with more side support.

The overall interior grey colour isn't bothering me as much now and it gives a lighter spacious feel to the cabin anyways.

One touch/3 blinks indicators - just heaven!

Interior background 'Mood' lights - nice detail

1.5 litre size bottle compartment on the doors are so useful.

Cooling glovebox - good for Ginsters/Snickers moments

One touch REAR eleccy windows - about time too!

Reduced servicing schedules.

Cabin noise is quieter as expected (apart from stupid wind hiss on the Apillars)

Full climate is easier to use.

Lovely metal ring binder with twin needle stitching handbook - sad I know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Handling transformation is by far the most significant advance. I take detours in the mk5 just to enjoy the drive, but the mk4 never made me do this.

Improved ergonomics also improve the experience. In my Mk4 I found adjusting the climate dangerous due to it's position, the stereo display & buttons too small, and the cup holder always got knocked after a gearchange.

Can't really comment on the engine comparison as my mk4 was a 1.8T, but I love the 2.0TDI and 59.5mpg on my 90 mile journey from work today is a major bonus. It seems there's no downsides to the mk5 experience in my view.

I wouldn't dream of going back, unless unexpected hard times make me sell up.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got back to Scarborough from Lincoln - my first longish trip in the wet. Rain and spray were both variable and, at times, very heavy and the auto-wipers were a revalation. Absolutely indispensible, so I will add them to my list of pros - they were in the cons, as a waste of money, along with the auto lights, which I still wouldn't choose to buy.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Dammit am I supposed to have one of these??

Would come in handy when I'm at work at the weekend, and I've never even heard of it until now!!!

C

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
afaik any MK5 with an armrest. I have a two openers cos the sales
bloke assumed my TDI didn't have one and give me another.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
IMHO the Mkv armrest is a must have. (One which I didn't spec!) A ?150 pound option that adds about ?500 to the look of the interior. Never mind that it gets in the way, doesn't work as an armrest, isn't strong enough etc. It transforms cheap as chips to something with a bit more class.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts