Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think is worse about the Mkv than the Mkiv? I'll kick off with a few points of my own, in no particular order :

Three door seats are not as easy for first timers. You can lose the seat position, if you do it wrong.

Interior is not up to the Mkiv standard - plastics are s-o-o-o plastic.

Space saver spare wheel. I?ve lost the space where I kept my tool kit and spares!

Climate control has gone. Miss it, but not ?700 worth!

Auto lights ? no point whatever, I can turn lights on and off.

Auto wipers ? not right all the time. I hate a smeared screen or waiting for a drizzle clearing flick.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Biggest gripe is probably gear change, the mk4 was more solid and (for want of a better word) "clunky". You knew you'd changed, and it felt shorter. The mk5 gear change you can feel the gates and it's just not as solid.

Prefer my old mk4 brakes too, mk5 ones are too soft for my liking.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I feel the gearchange is better in the V than the IV - it's more positive and less sloppy.  However, I totally agree about the brakes, they are shocking and if i had bigger wheels I would certainally upgrade the brakes.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Biggest gripe is probably gear change, the mk4 was more solid and (for want of a better word) "clunky". You knew you'd changed, and it felt shorter. The mk5 gear change you can feel the gates and it's just not as solid.Prefer my old mk4 brakes too, mk5 ones are too soft for my liking.
Its not as simple as that - it depends which model you are talking about. The old 1.6 Mk 4 had one of the worst gear changes ever, for example.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have recently p/x my Mk4 Tdi115 for a Mk5 Tdi 140 so after 1000ish miles - here's some of my niggles so far...

The flick keys doesn't feel solid nor weighty anymore.

The auto lights and wipers - waste of time and electronics.

Auto dimming rear mirror - why do you need a switch?

Column stalks - low rent plastic and doesn't click as solid. Sometimes the indicators doesn't self cancel.

Standard stereo produces tinny n bassy sound but nothing mid so not as
good as the old. Also the volume knob is too high and away from
me. You have to reach for it now where as old I could just adjust
it with my fingers from the gearstick.

Centre Armrest - I don't have much confidence putting a lot of arm
weight as before. Weak construction and the lower half
moves/plays/flexes..

The seats are softer and gives better support BUT the fabric feels less durable.

Adjustable lumber supports - can't feel a thing?

I'm still trying to get smooth gearchanges without having to 'think'
about it. The gearbox action is average, the clutch pedal feels
odd (press down rather than across if you know what I mean) and the
accelerator BMW/Benz stylee pedal is difficult to use lightly.
Has anyone noticed the exposed wires behind it!

In the current state of anti-smoking campaigns, why did VW put a pair of rear ashtrays? Doh!

No side cubble hole stoarge in the boot and rear parcel shelf
supporting strings looks like something from a cheap Millets
anorak. Wheres the little retracting units?

I still miss my Mk4.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
You are having a laugh aren't you? The MKIV would not stop a push bike. The MKV ones actually stop the car very well. I suspect you have a problem with yours.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You are having a laugh aren't you? The MKIV would not stop a push bike. The MKV ones actually stop the car very well. I suspect you have a problem with yours.
Myself, one cat and a squirrel can back this up, when you slam on the brakes they really are very good. The one fault you could aim at them is that they lack a progressive feel to them.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I too think it depends on the model. I haven't got many gripes, the interior quality of switches is slightly sub in comparison (wife still has a Bora so easy to compare) but the qulaity is still better than its competitors just not as ground breaking as the MKiv, I have just returned off holiday where I hired a brand new Focus 1.6 - now that was really poor inside[:p] The auto lights are a waste of space for me but perhaps they should be compulsary - how many idiots do you see either at night or in heavy rain who have not lit up ?!? I generally drive around 'Volvo style' and light up all the time but this probably harks back to having owned m/bikes.

I think the brakes are far better and much better than those on my A3 2.0tdi [:D]

Armrest is fine but unattractive when extended, auto dim & auto wipe also ok.

The important stuff - Handling, performance & soundtrack far superior to an unmodded mkiv [:D]

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
my mkv - built on a Friday at 4.59pm by a dimwit using sticky back plastic and balsa wood. All interior plastics had been left in the sun to go brittle to ensure the full "cheap as chips" sound. Also had a box of leftover bits which where then distributed behind glovebox, door panels, tailgate panel etc to ensure full customer annoyance - these were then programmed to make sure that they rattled at different times and when the battery on one rattle died, another was kick started into life

my mkiv 1.8T - had the coil pack supply from hell ( in the garage for 6 months out of 18 ) and leaked like a sieve ( sp ? )

wish they'd sort the roof gutters out so that when it rained and you open the door, all the rainwater didn't simply pour onto your seat, rendering you with the no-so-trendy "i've wet my pants "look

(blows a raspberry in the direction of VW)

·
Registered
524 Posts
no rear speakers in 1.6 FSi either??

No quirky drink holders- just holes in the lower centre console -having said that the MKIV front holder's position means that maccy d's drinks leak all down the dash and have ruined my stereo buttons !!

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I'm trying not to laugh Damian, but it's so well written LOL.

Where did you buy it from? Have you given up with them?
I know - I have to laugh too otherwise you'd see me kicking the leaves around a park, hunched shouldered, hands in pockets, muttering to myself

I got it from Colborne in Guildford - they told me on Monday ( after it'd broken down again due to a problem that they'd "fixed") that " if its any consolation, we haven't had any problems with the Mk 5 apart from yours"

Strangely, it was no consolation at all.

Might try Colborne Woking as its nearer to me - failing that, its down Chobham Common with a litre of petrol ( knowing my luck i'd have to bloody queue for an hour for that at the moment ! ), a rag and a box of matches

·
Registered
524 Posts
how many Golf MkV's will you see driving around with knackered wing mirror indicators too- very fragile - the courtesy car I had lost lenses off both sides with my missus driving it !!! - very expensive carelessness (got away with it though )

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Wow - my brakes comment's certainly caused some contraversy... Maybe I'll get them looked at, although I'm not the only one who's got my thought on that one. [:)]

From speed, although the front end would disappear through the earth to Oz, I could stop the mk4 on a dime, I'm *STILL* trying to get used to the current brakes.

Maybe I'll go borrow the stealer's GTI and check the brakes out on that.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I'm trying not to laugh Damian, but it's so well written LOL.

Where did you buy it from? Have you given up with them?
I know - I have to laugh too otherwise you'd see me kicking the leaves around a park, hunched shouldered, hands in pockets, muttering to myself

I got it from Colborne in Guildford - they told me on Monday ( after it'd broken down again due to a problem that they'd "fixed") that " if its any consolation, we haven't had any problems with the Mk 5 apart from yours"

Strangely, it was no consolation at all.

Might try Colborne Woking as its nearer to me - failing that, its down Chobham Common with a litre of petrol ( knowing my luck i'd have to bloody queue for an hour for that at the moment ! ), a rag and a box of matches
You should do this for a living! Priceless.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts