Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Does anyone happen to know any details on the release date / likely cost of the higher-powered (180 I believe?) TDI?? also will it be in GTI trim?

Basically im torn between the new GTI petrol, or waiting till the new diesel comes out??

in excess of ?20 g's is alot of cash though....

cheers

Garry

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The only one that HAS been hinted at is a 160bhp diesel and while my middle name is torque I'd rather a 200bhp engine than a 160 bhp diesel one.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The ibiza has got a tuned up 1.9 150pd engine (160bhp)as

opposed to the 2.016v diesel.

I havnt hear any firm news on the GTI diesel yet either.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
There should'nt even be one, they're making the MK4 mistake all over again. Stick with one GTI, the 200bhp 2.0T.

·
Registered
614 Posts
STILL THINK I NEEDS TO BE 4WD like in the audi a3 Quote: posted by spencert on 22/11/2004 19:13:15

Stick with one GTI, the 200bhp 2.0T

Except the game has moved on, 250bhp would have been better.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Is there not mention of a diesel GTI on the official VW GTI site?

I agree that there should only be one GTI.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I don't really understand the logic of some of the comments, even from diesel drivers.

If you have the opportunity to purchase a more powerful, more sporting version of a car that already exists, why not? The market exists. Petrol cars do not suit a large proportion of motorists, some of whom still like sporty cars.

If VW develop it (and we know the engine has the potential) I'm sure it will sell very well.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Its to do with heritage.

The GTI has always been a FWD 4 cyclinder petrol and always should be. Its about keeping the GTI true to what it should be. I've had MK1 and MK2 (several MK2's) GTI and they should keep it true to its roots. You'd never see a 911 with the engine at the front would you?

Theres nothing wrong with making a more powerful diesel (except that it would hurt my residuals!) but DONT badge it up as a GTI. Call it a GT TDI 180 as with the MKIV's, or even a GDI if you must, but NOT a GTI.

Now this is where i look like a hypocrit. I was thinking of chipping my GT TDI up to 200BHP and buying the GTI front, rear and side skirts because i like the look of it. But i wouldnt go so far as to add GTI badges to it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
According to VW's own GTI website, the GTI is definitely getting a 160bhp diesel engine later in 2005, as well as the 200bhp petrol.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Quote: posted by TurboTrev on 22/11/2004 21:33:18

According to VW's own GTI website, the GTI is definitely getting a 160bhp diesel engine later in 2005, as well as the 200bhp petrol.

Oh dear! Seems like thats gonna upset some people![:O]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Quote: posted by JMcQueen on 22/11/2004 20:50:43

Its to do with heritage.

The GTI has always been a FWD 4 cyclinder petrol and always should be.

And it should have poor crash protection, no airbags, have high emissions, no air-con and skinny tyres..!! [:D]

As great as these cars are/were, the game has moved on, and we will never see the likes of the MK1/2 again.

The genie is out of the bottle with the GTI, started by the MK3 I suppose and made worse by the VW UK marketing team with the MK4! The MK5 petrol looks like a return to form, but the market will demand a "GTI" Diesel, and why not?

A MK5 diesel GTI would surely make a better fist of things than the MK4 2.0 8v petrol? As long as it has the dynamics of a GTI, why should it matter what fuel it runs on? Engine note has never been an issue until the MK5 came along.

IF the public want it, and there is deemed a market for it (and the huge demand for diesels in Europe will see to that), then VW will build it!!

Having said all that, I'm not sure that 160bhp is enough, and 180bhp would be more in keeping.

I think the only reason that you haven't seen a diesel 911 so far, is because Porsche have quite rightly deduced that their core buyers just don't want such a vehicle and it would actually damage the image/heritage of the 911 (and the Porsche marque, come to think of it). But, the 911 has been around 40 years and is much more of a niche product than the Golf, which I don't need to remind anybody is a mass market product, even in GTI form.

As a previous GTI owner, admittedly Mk3 and 4, I don't think most Golf buyers are so fussy!! "GTI" on the boot will do it for most people...

I think it's sad though, that things have got as confused as they have. As long as they develop it properly, there should be no reason why the Diesel GTI shouldn't continue this new attempt at making GTI mean something again, IMO of course!!

If you want a MK2 style GTI (and I like em!) then I respectfully suggest that people go out and buy one, but don't think for a minute VW can turn the clock back!

"Puts on tin hat and awaits the onslaught"! [;)]

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think the market will demand a diesel version, although

i think it praps should be badged GTD maybe?

They need to be carefull with the power output, i think 160bhp

is about right they dont want to make it too powerfull otherwise

it may be seen as quicker than the proper GTI.

They need to be sure the petrol GTI is the fastest model in the

line up apart from the flagship 'R' version.

·
Registered
874 Posts
It's been on the official VW site (albeit hidden in the FAQ's on the GTI mini-site) for about a month and I posted it up then.

I agree that 160bhp isn't enough, it should have been closer to 180, but also agree with spq that it is probably deliberately slower than the petrol.

The argument about whether there should be a diesel GTI was raised there too. My argument was that the GTI wasn't about a 4cyl petrol motor, it was about using the best of current technology (i.e fuel injection in 1977), and there is no doubt that small diesel engines are where all of the technical advances are being made at the moment.

As for the point about the 911, no you wouldn't see a 911 with the engine in the front, but the change to water-cooled engines was one which was resisted by 'purists', but has proved to be a great move.

·
Registered
176 Posts
dam it, ime spg not spq!! its the underline on the name that

confuses people, why is it there?!

Agree with your comment stevoraith by the way!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
It's simple in my book - are Ferrari ever going to make a diesel? No!

Should be the same with a GTI. PD150's were not sold as Golf GTI's in Ireland, they were PD150s - VW were still able to sell them.

Nobody here is saying there shouldn't be a 180 bhp TDI but it doesn't need to have a GTI badge on it IMO.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.