Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, the one thing and pretty much the only thing I miss about the A3 is the xenons.

Has anyone fitted the OEM xenons to their MKV? Where can they be had from and for what money.

I'm pretty sure that when funds allow I would like to change the lights to the xenons.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I knew it would not be long.  I think the proceedure is similar to the MKIV, in that to do it properly, you need the lights, balast, washers, wiring and levellers.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The washers I am not too bothered about as I would take them out when selling it and put the normal lights in and I won't have it long enough for an MOT.

The wiring, ballasts etc are they all just in the light unit and you just plug them in or is it not as simple as that?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Id be interested in these as well,but doesnt look like anyone has done it before..Also not sure where you would get them.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I think they're about ?350 from VW but not sure what comes with them (bulbs, ballast etc) or whats involved in fitting them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't know 'bout doing it, but know that having had my new [to me,
anyway] MKV out the other night in the dark with its xenons on full
blast, now wonder how I've driven all these years without them!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Whats a H I D xenon conversion kit..auto bulbs direct do one.. and is says that if its an aftermarket jobby not a factory fit job that you dont need the washer kit (according to EU legislation HID systems factory fitted from new require a self levelling system and a lens washer to be fitted. However this is not specified for aftermarket kits as quoted on auto bulbs site)..Anyone shed any light ha ha excuse the pun..

·
Registered
182 Posts
remember seeing somewhere that come mot time, you will fail if the inspector follows guidelines, as the lights shoul dhave the levelers and washers to pass.  the aftermarket kits are illegal for road use in the UK, if you go to a reputable dealer they will say for off road use only.

·
Registered
779 Posts
remember seeing somewhere that come mot time, you will fail if the inspector follows guidelines, as the lights shoul dhave the levelers and washers to pass. the aftermarket kits are illegal for road use in the UK, if you go to a reputable dealer they will say for off road use only.
Sound as nice one fella..[Y]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Haven't done it on my golf (because I pick it up tomorrow Thursday :) but have done it on my porsche 993 which doesn't have self levelling but does have manual levelling like the golf and manual headlight washers. It has had 7 MoT's since fitting and not a comment at any of them (excepting normal headlight alignment issues) all passed with flying colours (taken to different garages as well) and had an accident repair by porsche (after an idiot reversed into the front wing / headlight, who repaired the headlights with the after market kit!!!! so no issues here.

The issue is the type of lens / reflector that you fit the kit into, on the porsche you just change the bulb mount (to one that accepts D2S bulbs) and wire in ignitor / ballast resistor and away you go - fantastic, big difference, however, the porsche already had projector lights fitted (with standard bulbs). I would love to make the mod to my golf which doesn't come with HID's because i went for a "coming into stock" car brand new with only a two week wait and three grand off list!

Any ideas on where we can get a kit for the GTI? Autolamps (where I got the Porsche kit) don't list a kit for the golf

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think you have been luck to get thru mot's so far, these kits are getting cheaper and more availble, so it's a matter of time till there's a purge. Bigger companies are saying off road only.

sample below "According to EU legislation HID systems factory fitted from new require a self levelling system and a lens washer to be fitted. However this is not specified for aftermarket kits. Our kits have passed all safety and emmissions tests and produce the correct light pattern. We know they will pass an MOT (original bulbs can be reinstalled in minutes if required without uninstalling the HID system). We are not aware of any legality issues in terms of the police. However this issue is a grey one with lots of confusion so until we can obtain official written proof either way, we must sell these for off road and display systems only. "

·
Registered
141 Posts
If they're aimed properly, then I see no reason why you would be stopped, but as said above, it's a grey area...

Anyway, I've researched this mod extensively and I've even mocked up some solutions using a dead H7 Xenon bulb and a spare Mk5 bulb holder.

The main problem is the way that the Mk5 Golf uses a bulb holder to clamp the standard H7 bulb from the rear and which is then inserted into the lamp housing connecting with the power etc on the way. Traditional H7 conversion kits just don't work as theres no way for the wiring to exit the rear of the HID capsule to the ballast etc. I tried modifying a bulb holder with a dremmel so this type of kit would work, but it wasn't satisfactory and needed a lot of hot glue etc to keep it in place. Also, you'd have to hack into the wiring to draw power for the ballast, something I wasn't happy about doing to the Mk5 with its CANBUS system etc.

I know that other cars have a bulb holder and can be converted, I did this with my 3 series BMW, but that holder still clamps the std H7 bulb in the traditional way (ie pushed in from the rear and then held in place by a wire clip) before it's inserted into the lamp housing leaving the bulb power tabs exposed, and still has the cars wiring harness pushed onto those tabs as normal. The Golf Mk5 solution has neither of these features, so won't work with all of the kits on sale now. Anybody would think VW had done this on purpose to stop just this type of mod...! ;o)

What's needed is a properly designed and tested kit for the Mk5 with a modified bulb holder and a way of getting power from the cars wiring harness in the bulb area to the ballast, and then on to the HID capsule, and all without having to chop the wiring. That way it's plug and play, and you can whip it in and out etc with minimum hassle.

I've decided, after much mucking about, to either wait for one of the usual suspects to develop a decent kit or, if that doesn't happen before I change the car, make sure my next one has them as standard!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Unless their kit addresses the bulb holder issue I describe above, then they won't fit I'm afraid.

You need to be wary of some of these aftermarket HID suppliers, they'll happily sell you a kit but, as I've found, a lot of them don't know what they're talking about!

I've spoken to several who say they've got a kit for a Golf, but on asking again if it's for a MK5 they say "erm, no, it's for a MK4 - are they different then?". When I explained that they were different, and the bulb holder issue, they said they'd go away and check. If they bothered to get back to me, the usual response was "we've checked this out with the people who manufacture the kits, and they say that the MK5 still uses H7 bulbs, so this kit should still fit mate..." [:mad:] "What about the holder issue?" I ask. "Oh, the BMW 3 series uses holders, and these kits are fine in them, so yours should be fine - I'll stick one in the post to you, yes? Just need your credit card no.... (for something that won't fit...)"

Yeah right....

The 3 series does indeed use bulb holders, but the bulb still pokes out the back of it, and is connected to the car by a standard H7 bulb power connector from the wiring harness. Check your Golf 5 and you'll see it has neither of these arrangements so it just can't be wired up without surgery to your wiring loom, hacking into the wiring on the kit (very bad idea with ballast wiring!) and the fabrication of a bulb holder with all the associated focal length issues...

Trust me on this, I'm an expert - but only in as much as I've made every kind of mistake possible!! [;)]

Somebody will be out with a professionally made kit at some point I'm sure, as the problems aren't insurmountable, they just need sorting professionally... IMHO of course!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks Tooks, very informative.

Does anybody know of any kits for the MkV yet? I am really fancying some HID action but after discovering that the kits from hids4u won't fit my car i'm not sure what to do?

Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts