Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll post this up in the group buy section later if there is enough interest. Basiclly i'm trying to find out a price for the Speaker system that rainbow sell for the mk5 Golf. Its a 3 Way system and is a simple plug and play upgrade. I'm trying to find out more information from the supplier. If anyone is interested or has any questions post below. As a guide the price if you were to buy them is ?189.99 + delivery. A 2 way set up is also available at ?89.99

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes you could use the 2 way set up in the rear door panels although TBH you would be wasting money. Your much better off just using the fronts and fading out the rears.

Discount wise, its 10% so ...

3 Way ?170.99 with discount

2 Way ?80.99 with discount

P&P will be approx ?9.99 (well thats what I paid on HeadUnit & Ipod ) I will let you know if we can get it cheaper.

Steve

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm very impressed with Rainbow, I sent there service department an email at 11pm last night, I had there reply at 8.34 this morning !!!

They wrote .....

The Golf 5 sets will have

2-way: 6.5" woofer and 25mm Silk dome tweeter
3-way: 6.5" woofer, 4" midrange and 25mm silk dome tweeter

Both sets will come with specially tuned crossovers.

Running the sets with the standard VW Head unit is possible. Better is to change the head unit and use an additional amplifier. We recommend at least 2 x 50 watts RMS better 2 x 75 watts RMS amplifiers. If your amp has a subsonic filter please use it. Set the subsonic filter to 25-30 Hz which will increase the power handling of your speaker set.

Best thing would be to drive the front system with an high pass of about 85-90 Hz and use a separate subwoofer. Drive the subwoofer with an low pass of about 100 Hz. Use also subsonic of 25-30 Hz.

Kind Regards,
Rainbow Service Team

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ok, Can I understand something, the golf comes with either 8 or 10 speakers from what i understand if you have a 2006 or 2005 model.

this is a set of 6, so this does front only?, what is on offer for the rears to match? Or have I misunderstood something? Also I've checked the other posts but can't see what's really entailed in replacing these, how easy is it to get the door trim off ( without damaging parts) to get these changed? Does anyone have pictures of the process, 3 dr car please.

thanks

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Rainbows are a 3 way setup, so you get a tweeter, a mid range speaker and a mid bass speaker. There is also a dedicated crossover for the Golf. In total there are 6 speakers. The price quoted above is for speaker systems designed to fit in the front. You could buy something else from Rainbows range from CAD.

I personally wouldn't waste my money upgrading the rear speakers, you would be better off spending it elsewhere. Rainbow reccomend powering the speakers with 50w RMS, a standard head unit will give about 12w RMS, the MFD might be closer to 20wRMS. You will see an improvement with swapping the speakers but you will get an even more noticable one if you amp them.

I am definatly going to order these, so if I can get 2 other people then the priceof ?170.99 will stand + P&P. Delivery to CAD would be 7 working days. We would need to decide the best way to order them, either payment could be made direct to CAD or sent to me and I will place the order, personally I would prefer it if you ordered direct, I would just forward them names.

I'm not sure if there are any how to's on instaling speakers but there will be by the time I have mine in [:)]

If you definatly want to order a set of these speakers post PM me and I will start the process. I will be away from my PC from 1/9/05 until 5/9/05 and then again from 12/9/05 to 19/9/05 so I would suggest we leave the names open until 9/9/05 when I will contact CAD, they can then order them in and start to ship them from the 19th onwards.

Steve

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Steve

I definitely want the 3 ways. I can't seem to PM my details to
you at the moment as I get an error message every time but I'll try
again later.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok, Can I understand something, the golf comes