Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Posted Image

Does anyone else think that looks really fussy? All the lines and bits on the bumper just don't look right to me. I think thats the first photo rather than drawing type picture from VW I have seen and I'm not liking it one bit.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Oh man, that is terrible. It looks so plain. I don't mean simple,
just plain. Maybe in a different colour but the GTI looks so much
better. If you told me that it was a 1.6 special edition, I would have
believed you.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I wonder why they used slats instead of meshing (like the gti) for the front end?

I remember the photoshops that someone did of what they thought the R32
would look like in mk5 shape, and that looked 100 times better than
VW's official effort!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Totally unremarkable. The seats are GTIs but without the tartan pattern, the side skirts are the GTI's but painted, the aluminium dash trim is the GTI's but with a different pattern etched on it.

The car looks like its been made out of the VW spare parts bin.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hmmm just been playing round with the configurator, the blue one IMHO looks the best, it shows off the chrome and black in the front nicely.

Another interesting thing is that you can get IPOD preparation now for ?320, it looks like it includes the center arm rest and I think preparatoin for a switch that will switch over to a cha changer (according to babelfish!) Looks quite neat!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not impressed at all. Styling looks cheap and rushed, don't like the twin centred exhausts like the clio 182. The seats look ok, but the original Konig's were excellent. Engine is no improvement for the next model.

The more i look at the front, i keep thinking what have they done. The gti is stunning and the grill perfect. But the R, why have they dumped all this cheap chrome horizontally everywhere, and cut all the sporting mesh out. Just imagine cleaning those after some heavy motor way use.

What a shame.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also think the wheels don't do it.

Can anyone photoshop defferent ones on to see if it makes a difference - I am also a firm believer that it is best to see a car in the flesh before the final thumps up or down.

Rgds Jules R

·
Registered
22 Posts
From the Konfigurator it would seem that 33K euros gets you a fairly basic spec , my guess would be that the UK Marketing guys would 'add' a number of the optional German equipment and raise the price for the UK to around ?24k?

I guess we will know in a couple of months

Rgds JulesR

·
Registered
182 Posts
some interesting points on the german configurator

r32 base is 8k euro more than gti ( allowing for climate, xenons etc, makes it about ?4k for a 3 dr)

this excludes sat nav

motorsport seats are 1150 euro's extra

·
Registered
267 Posts
Oh man, that is terrible. It looks so plain. I don't mean simple, just plain. Maybe in a different colour but the GTI looks so much better. If you told me that it was a 1.6 special edition, I would have believed you.
absolutley agree there fella!!![:O].the gti looks tons better..vw messed it up again..

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I'm not a fan of the GTI's plunging grille but this is even worse. Pull out the slats and stick some mesh in there. That would move it in the right direction immediately. Next up a revised body kit and some more tasty rims.

Seems to me that the R32 is now destined to be the GT cruiser of the range rather than an out and out sports hatch. I'm now expecting to see some kind of GTI Plus that will be the ultimate Golf driving machine.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Thats kind of my thinking too. I think they're saving the real extreme styling for the R36 if/when it appears. This is just meant to replace the 4motion and is styled just to differentiate it from the rest of the range. Although, if thats the case, why call it a 'R' at all and offer it with the sports seats etc? Why not just call it the 4motion?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts