Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys 'n gals...

I've had my Bora for 3 years now and have been toying with the idea of a new motor for a while now and have shortlisted it down to either a MKV GTI or a GT TDI, both quite different cars imo so a little background info would be appreciated.... [:D]

My dilemma is whether to follow my head and buy the 'sensible' TDI or go with my heart and get the GTI?

I will need to keep the car for 4 years and it will do around 200 miles per week on average hence me considering the TDI as i've gotten quite used to the 45-50mpg of the Bora for the last 3 years...

However if i'm brutally honest the TDI would be a 'compromise' in so much that i would always hanker after a GTI and WILL spend a load of cash on GTI bits for the diesel anyway (s/wheel, gearknob, lowering etc..), the only thing stopping me making a decison either way is the cost of running a GTI, so......

GTI owners: How many miles do you get on average to a tank and any average mpg figures would be great? [:D]

GT TDI owners: same question as above please guys? [:D]

Has anyone made the switch from diesel to petrol and how is it for you? or has anyone gone back to derv cos the GTI cost's a fortune lol!!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buy the petrol. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow, you only live once. Don't compromise!

[:)]
Too true Mike, i'm slowly coming round i suppose, just need a little coaxing lol! [:D]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Been here done this, about 7 months ago funnily enough.

Went from a mk4 TDI115 to mk5 GTI.

So, from 48mpg+ down to a staggering... wait for it.... 30mpg on
average. That's including a reasonable amount of "short rags" around
the place. It will drop in to the late 20s if you're hammering it
about everywhere, or doing a start/stop/start/stop run in a city
centre. Sit on a motorway at between 80 and 90 however, and that'll go
to 32mpg+ - again with a fair few surges of power to get round the tw*t
in the saxo doing a midlane cruise.

If you take it really easy (I can't even remember HOW I managed this), you might even pull this outta your hat:

Posted Image

I do think if I recall correctly however, that was sat at 50mph in a long line of traffic ahfl way round the M25 [:|]

I too do a 200 mile week, 20 miles each way to work each day, into
Central London. Hence the figure guide from above. Oh one thing I
forgot to say, I've had 18mpg from the car before, but I was doing no
more than 18mph (and as low as 0 for extended periods with the air con
on) one day. God did I cry.

Having gone from a diesel, with torque all over the shop, I was quite
surprised at how torquey the GTI is... More so than I expected put it
this way. And once you've got hold of that torque, you keep hold of it
all the way through the rev scale.

Miles per tank - to be honest, I couldn't really tell you. Bearing in mind it's a reasonable tank (up to about 60 quid), and I average 30mpg, I'm sure you'll manage to do the maths (at 11pm on a Sunday night I'm feeling a bit lazy, sorry dude).

One thing I will say, I probably spend twice as often down in the petrol station - so much so, that instead of plonking crappy Asda derv through my car and not talking to anything but an automatic card chomping easy pay machine - I'm now a regular (and more embarrasingly, recognised!) face down at the local pump!

One other thing to bear in mind. You will be running super unleaded when you get it - don't think you will be getting away with the cheap 95RUON or supermarket rubbish. It's a very noticeable difference, and man the car doesn't like that cheap stuff [:|]

C

PS - never compromise, you'll only live in regret. If it's the GTI you really want, you need to go and get a test drive. Actually what the hell, test drive both on the same day. I know what you'll be buying...................

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ CkB....

Thanks for that mate just what i'm after tbh, a good and honest right up of the pro's/con's of swithing to petrol after having a derv for a while... [Y]

I've been lucky enough to drive both a GT TDI and a GTI lately, in fact they were both Curley's cars off here so big thanks to him for making me want to spend a load of cash lol!

The GT TDI was and is an impressive car, but the GTI blew me away and made me laugh and giggle like a schoolboy, just sooooo undecided at the moment re the running costs as the purchase of the car would be a the top end of my budget....

For info, the missus will run the car in the week and her trip to work is local 'B' roads and then fairly congested M-Way so economy may suffer a little i suppose, over this run the Bora has averaged 45mpg for the last 10K miles..

Thanks for the info, keep it coming fellas... [:D]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
@ CkB....

Thanks for that mate just what i'm after tbh, a good and honest right up of the pro's/con's of swithing to petrol after having a derv for a while... [Y]
Most welcome mate - having read it back, apologies for it sounding a little like a Jeremey Clarkson write up, lol!

The GT TDI was and is an impressive car, but the GTI blew me away and made me laugh and giggle like a schoolboy, just sooooo undecided at the moment re the running costs as the purchase of the car would be a the top end of my budget....

For info, the missus will run the car in the week and her trip to work is local 'B' roads and then fairly congested M-Way so economy may suffer a little i suppose, over this run the Bora has averaged 45mpg for the last 10K miles..
The laughs and giggles don't stop after you get the car really - and if you DO start feeling it fade, I guess just go get it remapped. I'm sure all of the GTI guys here will tell you that "grin" remains ! I know Spin loves his post-remap, and Neo is still loving his to bits (to name just two)

If your missus can do a steady and constant 30mph + on that congested motorway, there's no reason why she can't get 30mpg. It's just faffing around much under that (in anything less than 4th gear) that seems to nose dive the economy.

If you need owt else mate, g'us a shout [y]

C

PS - did I meet you at Awesome in the end??? Really can't remember [:$]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sorry for the shorthand chaps, but....

GT TDI + Superchip = 180BHP + 400Nm Torque & 500 miles per tank.

Optional Bigger wheels = Improved handling.

Steering remap=GTI driving feel.

The only thing that you'd find to be MUCH different would be the braking. Bigger discs fitted to the GTI. And the exhaust note, there isn't one on a TDI and it will always sound like a taxi on a cold morning. Cool whistle though as turbo spools up!

Oh, and the styling. Exterior on the GTI is to die for, the GT just looks like a standard Golf to the uniformed. Interior has a few neat stying points on the GTI too, but they're purely cosmetic. Sports seats as standard on GT. Smaller, leather trimmed wheel on GT, even nicer wheel on the GTI though, with a flat bit at the bottom.

Dave @ Superchips suggested (knows from a direct comparison) that a mapped 2.0TDI would have the edge on a mapped 2.0FSI Turbo on a point to point (and he should know he develops, remaps & tests the cars, inc the ones that VW Racing use.) He was remapping 2.0FSI Turbo Audi A3's for approx a year before the GTI was released.

So, if anyone with a GTI in the Kettering area would like to test his theory???? The A14 beckons...... Just kidding!

Love the TDI torque, love the economy, learn to love the diesel rattle! Then stare enviously at the GTI stlying!

Or..... Wait for the 2.0TDI 170BHP GTI to be announced, it's bound to happen now that SEAT have released the ALTEA with the 170BHP engine. Then there'll be some difficult decisions to be made!

Damian

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Cor blimey Damian, talk about spin the wheel the other way - nicely said (and I used to love my diesel rattle too [:$])

Nice one [y]

C

·
Registered
5 Posts
beddie im in the exact same position!

i drove a gti and it gave me the gigles(schoolgirl with pigtails bad!) but then i drove a gt tdi and i think it may be the nicer car to live with everyday...its a bastard of a choice especially with these guys throwing in those chipped tdi torque figures... [:)]

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I'm still not a fan of the diesel rattle - I don't pay the fuel so to an extent I don't care but it gets 500 miles per tank, like Damian says ( this could get confusing[:|] ).

If i had my time again, it'd be the GTi[:D] - although i would have to lose all those options[:(]

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm pleased as punch with the 2.0 TDI.

My vote though.. wait for the 170PS GT-TDI. You will get nice GT badges on it and after a re-map, the car will be mental! Easily 200PS plus!

Matt.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Beddie i know exactly how you feel mate, ive been thinking down the same route mate but the mileage i do(500 week)its just not worth it with the xrtra insurance costs aswell. If you want mate you can have a blast of my gttdi chipped if you like i work all over the North West so wouldnt be a problem to meet up with you.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Don't mess around get the GTI, if you can afford to spend over 20K on a car you can afford the little extra in fuel it may cost you.  If you are that tight on fuel buy a diesel Micra instead.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If the look of the vehicle is one of the deciding factors, I changed the wheels on my GT TDI to the 17"'s from a GTI. Take a look at my pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/damianscott

Helped the handling, but kicked a hole in the ride quality. The tyres are going to cost me a bomb to replace when their time comes.

Also, please don't forget that GTI's really need to be run on Super Unleaded (98 RON), so as well as lower milage than a diesel, you're looking at a higher cost per mile than if you were running standard petrol.

That said, I run my TDI on BP Ultimate Diesel, or add 3 measures of Millers Diesel Power Plus to a tank of normal diesel, so it costs me a little bit more. ** HINT - VW advise not to use Biodiesel in 2.0 TDI's, it can damage the particulate filter I think, so that means avoiding Tesco's Green-Eco Diesel thingummy stuff **

More good things about driving a chipped diesel..... P*ssing Civic Type-R drivers off on the motorway @ *CENSORED*mph+. Upset a VR6 driver a few weeks ago too, poor soul! [:'(] Also, enjoy powering around roundabouts in 3rd gear...... Makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up! Or, at the other end of the scale, trunding down the motorway at 70mph in 6th, pulling only about 1500rpm. Then being able to out-accelerate most other cars to *CENSORED*mph without changing down a gear.

Damian

·
Registered
7 Posts
Beddie

Up until last weekend I wrestling with the same decision you are trying to make.

After a drive in the DSG GTi though, the decision was made. Just 14 weeks to wait though. [:(]

Girlfriend gave it 'the beans' and she (gf, not the car) started making noises I've never heard before, and as she'll be driving it more than me (boo!) it was a done deal.

Obviously, I can't comment on MPG, but insurance costs for us was only ?130 a year more for the GTi.

As already said in previous posts, don't compromise if you don't have to.

Good luck in reaching a decision.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi there,

I've the GT TDI.

Long motorways and A roads (cruising around 85/90mph tut tut): 46mpg.

City driving: 35-40mpg.

0-60: 4-10mpg. lol

Full* tank: ~500miles.

*?40 @ 90.8p/litre

I'm sure if you drove at 70mph in 6th you'd get 55+mpg.

A wee tip though: don't be tempted into 6th too early. I really only find it useful for motorways if you're doing 80mph+

Another point: Going 30mph in 5th = 100mpg+ (but the amount of times you need to accelerate and stop etc brings it down to 30ish)

Hope that helps!

I'm still putting ?40 a week into it, but I've only had it 2 weeks so I'm raking around everywhere lol. Hopefully it'll go down soon!

Paul

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just my thoughts, but...the GTI is the most complete car available
today. As Clarkson says, it does everything! Sure you can remap a
diesel to similar power levels as the GTI, but the GTI isn't about
power. It's about the handling, the noise, the grin factor. You won't
get this from the diesel imho.

You can choose your car using two methods;

Your head - the TDI will provide 90% of the GTI thrills at a cheaper
starting price and a significantly cheaper running cost. Therefore you
should get the TDI

Your heart - the GTI will be the better drivers car, it will make you
want to drive just for the hell of it. It has styling features which
can't be carried over to the other MKV Golfs and is just that little
bit more special (imho) because of it. Therefore you should get the GTI

I've gone from a diesel MKIV to a (ordered) MKV GTI. My MKIV was
remapped and had other things done to it, but all these cost money, a
lot of money. Combined with a higher cost of insurance, due to the
modifications, the TDI would most likely work out at a similar cost to
the GTI.

At the end of the day the choice is yours mate, but I'd hate for you to
get the TDI, a brillian car in its own right, and then spend the next
three years thinking, "what if I had gone for the GTI"...The worst case
scenario against the GTI is thinking for the next three years, "hmmm, I
could be getting better economy from the TDI", but then you'd come to
your senses, turn her around and blast down that country lane one more
time, just because you can[:D]

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The petrol cost is not that bad if that's your main worry, sure it takes Optimax but that's only a couple of quid extra on each tank. Given the power and it's capabilities, it's a very economical car, 30mpg is easily achievable.

But then, that's not why you'd buy one! Mine's a year old nearly and I still absolutely love it!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts