Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read loads of posts of owners with new GTi's - and how they are running them in.

What are the stats for running them in (distances, rpm's etc...)

Mine is on order - 1st Sep. Delivery [:(]

Info. please.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Some people run in, others dont.  Modern engines probably don't need running in like the old days.  However, up to 500 miles I am being careful and trying to stay below 3k RPM.  From 500 miles to a thousand I will push to 4-4.5K then after that, unleash everything.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Make sure the oil is warm about 10 mins after the temp guage shows norm and just drive it normally i.e how you are driving your current car. No special treatment

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Agreed...manual is a load of rubbish when it comes to running in IMO. They've said the same thing for YEARS.....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Like most books and theories the manual lives in a idealist world who really shells out in excess of ?20k for a quick car and doesn't want to confirm they made the right choice by giving it a bit of right foot. OK you may shorten to the engine life but it is unlikley you will own the car out of warranty if you are the first owner. You paid the Vat and suffer the majority of the depreciation let some else put some money into the car in later life. (IF it needs it)!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Mark V - what do you think is gonna happen?? So you have a new car, it has 10 miles on it and when changing from 2nd to 3rd you rev it to 4K to see how it revs and because you don't want the ECU adapting to a granny driving your performance car.

What do you think is gonna happen? The engine falls out or something??

Nobody here is suggesting you go around bouncing the rev limiter, just that you drive it with a certain degree of how it will be driven normally.

If you have a new girlfriend and you want it to be a lasting relationship, are you gonna go easy on her in bed the first few times because she's new to you? I thinks not!!! [;)]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gotta say, I'm with Jon & Irish on this. Unless you're planning on keeping the car for ten years, drive your GTi as hard as you like. It's a difficult car to drive softly in any case, too much fun to be had. And if you don't floor it the first time you pull onto the m'way slip road, you deserve a medal!

Enjoy..

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Drive it like you stole it. [:D]
What a selfish attitude! I pity the poor sod/s who will eventually own these cars that you thrash the living daylights out of. There is more to driving fast than just revving and thrashing a decent engine but there again it might be an age-related phenomenon that seems to apply to to those of you that are attracted to GTi's in the first place.[8o|][N]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [|-)][|-)][|-)]

A GTI is the opposite to everything you've said there Marvin.

You'd swear we were saying go out and thrash your brand new 20K plus car and slam it into a wall while you're at it.

Marvin there's a bit of a difference between a GTI and a 1.6 Golf. That's probably why you drive the latter.

Dear or dear......[walks off shalking his head/]

Maybe one of these would suit you more!!

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Marvin there's a bit of a difference between a GTI and a 1.6 Golf. That's probably why you drive the latter.

Dear or dear......[walks off shalking his head/]

Maybe one of these would suit you more!!

Posted Image
The difference between my car and a GTi is/was about ?6k and I could have easily afforded one or even two. I just would not spend that sort of money on a tarted up Golf but if I had then I would treat it, intitially, with a bit of respect and 'run it in' for about a 1k miles or so to let everything, including tyres and brakes loosen up and bed-in properly.

How did you know that I once owned two Rovers, consecutively, in fact right up until last December when I bought (yes, with my own money outright) my Golf 1.6 FSI and am now driving around thrashing the living daylights out of it.[:D][:(]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Relax there Marvin...I meant you probably will never own one for the reasons you suggest such as it's just a "tarted up Golf", nothing to do with what you can and can't afford.

Fair point about the tyres and the brakes but IMO all these things take less than 1,000 miles to sort out and have nothing to do with opening the car up a bit.

I suppose everyone will always have different ways of doing things, running in cars being one of those things but I've yet to hear of (and there's more than one member of the motor sales industry on this forum) a car engine blowing up in recent years from being driven with a spirited attitude.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I personally find you should drove it like you stole during the week and save "the drive it like you stole from someone who has already stolen it!" for the weekend.!![:D][:D]

·
Registered
204 Posts
By all means, drive it like you stole it. But under NO circumstances,
drive it like you hired it! I think you all remember the thread about
the hire cars (urine in the windscreen washer tank, I tell thee)

·
Registered
251 Posts
i think the point is that if you decide not to run them in atall it is safe to say that nothing bad will happen, however i have two freiends who sell cars, one porches and the other BMW. When you buy a new 911 the engines are fully run in on a engine dyno, they do this to garantee that you will get atleast the power they claim for that model, hence it would make no difference to the engine from thrashing from day one. BMW also say all there cars are run in, and some people take it easy and others don't, however if you speak to the mechanics they reckon cars that are treated nicely for 1k feel stronger than one which has been thrashed. They employ a policy on running their demo cars in, regardless what bmw say.

you pay your money you make your choice, thrash or don't thrash, who cares really, if it blows up take it back. I have always run my cars in, regardless of what it is, i think they perform better for it in comparison to a spanked version.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts