Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per title, I'm losing coolant at a fairly steady, although not heavy rate. It's just been service where I mentioned the problem, and so they did a pressure test and inspection and found nothing wrong. As it's a closed system, I'm obviously losing it somewhere, though hopefully nowhere expensive...

So, how do the dealers do the pressure test, anyone know? I'm assuming that the header tank opening is too wide for them to attached equipment and they attach elsewhere, or maybe not. I'm thinking it maybe as simple as whatever opening they are using may be the issue - header tank cap...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Cooling system pressure tests are usually done via a special pressure cap on the header tank. You are right in thinking that the pressure cap is not tested by this method and it is occassionally the cause of leaks itself.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The header tank cap is usually the cheapest and quickest thing to replace first off, and was the reason my MK2 started losing coolant many many years ago.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 2.0 TDI was losing coolant recently, had it pressure tested and it turned out to bed the radiator that had failed.....not really a bill that I wanted just before Christmas! Hope yours is a cheaper fix!

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts