Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visited Superchips HQ on the 11/11 but decided to wait a week or so before posting any results.....

The journey:

On the way down to Bucks' I was beginning to wonder if I should turn around and go home ?!? Let me explain.....I don't often have the opportunity to exploit my cars potential as the majority of my driving involves short trips to and from work but enroute to S/C which is a 70 mile trip I got to really have some fun on a mixture of m/way, dual carriageways and fast twisty country lanes, what a fantastic car the GTi is [:D] I began to wonder if the car actually needed any more power but I proceeded under the conclusion that if in anyway the car was 'spoilt' by the remap I would take advantage of the 7 day money back guarantee.

Arrival

I was greeted very couteously by Jamie the technical director who told me what to expect in the form of power gains, an explanation of the process was offered but as this is the 2nd 'MK5 Generation' car of mine to remapped I was familiar with the 'jig transfer method' and confident in their abilities.

The very comprehensive warranty was fully explained and copies provided prior to having the work done so all that remained for me to do was hand over the keys and utilse the waiting room at the temporary HQ.

The Results:

My car has covered 2,600 miles, exclusively on Optimax for 2,150 of them (dealer ran the car on 95 ron). The car in standard form produced bang on 197bhp which came as a slight surprise having run 2 Turbo diesels before which both exceeded the manufacturers claims.

The car gained 42 bhp at 5786rpm and an additional 44lb of torque at 3453rpm, total Power being 237bhp or 240PS. Please see below for the graphs provided.

Posted Image

Homeward Bound

Well this is where I was grateful I travelled alone! My journey home was accompanied by 'Dukes of Hazzard' type "...whooping...." and "...Whooo hoooo...." every time I put my foot down !! The car really seemed to come alive with fast and progressive power delivery that arrives in a very similar fashion to standard just much, much quicker. In 6th gear at motorway speeds of 85mph the car is right at its peak torque level so a little more right foot means license losing speeds are gained at a phenominal rate but accompanied by a huge smile.

No problems with traction out of islands but some light flickering can be encountered from the traction control if pressing on in 2nd gear, the dump valve seems to be 'whooshing' louder or am I just imagining that ?!?

I arrive home with absolutely no regrets and can't believe I had any doubts.[:D]

10 days later:-

As you are all no doubt aware we have been blessed with some front wheel drive compromising arctic weather conditions over the last week, perfect for road testing any fears I had of traction issues. Well it is difficult for me to accurately assess the true difference between remapped and standard as my car up to date had only been a fair weather friend, I can report an eagerness for the TC lights to flash in 1st, 2nd & 3rd if I'm being a bit over zealous but nothing the safety kit can't handle and with no adverse affects on the overall driving experience.

In general I'm no rev head and have enjoyed the extra oomph provided lower down the rev range, progress is made so easily! I never really thought the standard car could be much improved upon but boy is it good now, if you want to play it is absolutely amazing, this may just turn out to be a long term relationship, but I have said that before !! [;)]

I'm actually finding I arrive places qicker but with less drama if that makes sense [:^)] The additional torque presses you back in the seat and always provides the grin factor we all crave but without any need for high rpm. On another positive note my average mpg remains unchanged after the initial remap tankful was duly squandered in the '..pursuit of curiousity..' but I'm fairly sure this would not be the case if I chose to drive around using all the power on tap .

In normal everyday driving the car behaves exactly like before but you are always aware of the extra power, this was a pleasant surprise as I found with my 150PD and 2.0TDi that the remap was only obvious when pressing on.

Summary

The best ?443 you could spend on your GTi, if you are thinking about doing it but are worried about any adverse affects as I was, put your fears aside and enjoy the car the way it should have been direct from the factory[:D].

I loved my GTi before, now I'm thinking of proposing [:D]

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Great write up, mate[Y] Glad you have no regrets and for that
money it is a bargain. I'm seriously thinking of SC'ing my 2.0
TDI next year[H]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Nice one Steve, glad your pleased with the result, I thinking of getting mt Gt TDi AMD'ed soon, your power graphs look suprisingly like each other only with higher values,I would have thought they might have ironed out some of the dip's, did they do a before and after dyno run, or is the graph a generic print out.

Car looks stunning BTW, great coluor [;)]

·
Registered
285 Posts
Fantastic write up, well done. I've been thinking about doing the Upsolute version...had it done on the previous two TDI's and loved it. Might be time to try the superchips [:D]

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice one Steve, glad your pleased with the result, I thinking of getting mt Gt TDi AMD'ed soon, your power graphs look suprisingly like each other only with higher values,I would have thought they might have ironed out some of the dip's, did they do a before and after dyno run, or is the graph a generic print out.

Car looks stunning BTW, great coluor [;)]
Cheers, oh and the names Martin [;)]

The graphs show before and after plot lines and are specific to my car on the day - not generic. I believe it was Superchips intention to track the original map but increase power levels, a bonus IMO as I was already happy with how the car behaved and produced its power delivery just fancied a little more. The graph shows some peaks and troughs but on the road this is not apparent so not an issue, before you proceed with AMD also consider Superchips as they can also remap via the serial port for your car, well worth sending a PM to Foxy and asking his opinion of the map.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
excellent write up ! I must admit that I did too "wooooo hooooo" thing too ! Hehehe ! Did Superchips give you a dyno-plot as a matter of course or did you have to ask ? I didn't get any indication of power figures...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
excellent write up ! I must admit that I did too "wooooo hooooo" thing too ! Hehehe ! Did Superchips give you a dyno-plot as a matter of course or did you have to ask ? I didn't get any indication of power figures...
If you use the Bucks HQ they have the Rolling Road facilities, should in theory charge an extra ?50 for the dyno plots but speak nicely to Jamie mentioning the forum and he will more than likely do it FOC, excellent service and value for money [:D]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Yeah, the more of you that keep on about it, the more I'm leaning
towards one, and I was trying so well to hold of too (although I've
almost hit 8k already whic his baaaaaaaaad for such a short space ofe
time) - give it til 10k and we'll see [;)]

C

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Shrrup dad [;)], you just want another spin around Bluewater - sods law
says I'd lose my licence actually so I might have to wait until next
Christmas [:|]

C

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
*rolls eyes* (that stupid msn face just doesn't do HOW MUCH i'm rolling my eyes justice)

I'll give you an A+ for effort though mate [;)] [:D]

But no, I must resist..........

·
Registered
199 Posts
not saying there is anything wrong with superchips but i had one on my last car (ibiza cupra) and it kept putting the car in limp mode , in the end it was removed and replaced with a amd chip , think im going for revo or west on this car tho

1 - 20 of 22 Posts