Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mate brought me out for a spin in his new 2003 PD150 just there. My first time in one and they really have some shove of torque. Just how much made me fear for my GTI a little so I had to put my mind at rest...

We found a quiet place and opened them up and there was just no contest. He assured me afterwards that he was trying hard but I just pulled and pulled away and he got smaller and smaller in the mirror although if I let him push on a little and then try to catch up it did take a little while to pass him out and leave him again..

As someone who was embarrassed a few times by PD150s in my old GTI it's nice to see VW have got it right.

But Jesus the GTI drinks petrol when you're pressing on. [:^)]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Haha yeah you start ragging it and the petrol line just drops into ozzy land!!

And Dog - Irish don't got no super out there, he's in ROI where they don't get it [:'(]

·
Registered
566 Posts
I always wondered which would win a straight line acceleration test through the gears and I have to admit I thought the PD150 would eat the MkV GTI for breakfast as it's got superior torque and roughly equal weight. And having said that, I once did try to lose a MkV GTI that was on my tail on the M1 Northbound but he stuck to me like glue.

~ Maxie

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dog is on the Emerald Isle too CKB [;)]

I drove past Shell today (I normally use Texaco) and for a minute I was gonna try the V-Power because it kills me that I can't put Superplus into the car but I really don't think it's worth it without the fuel being higher octane.

Max - I thought the PD150 would have been a lot closer too, it felt so bloody fast when I was in it but I guess seat of pants feeling as far as torque is concerned can mislead you (I still think the PD150 is a very capable car BTW) and told my mate that he HAS to remap it.

I had such a smile on my face when I started to pull away so much once we got to silly speeds. [H]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Oh yeah. Twonk (me!). I shall stop trying to be helpful for a day or two - I seem to be more of a nuisance [:$] [;)]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
That doesnt surprise me at all.

The MkV is quicker than I thought it would be, probably very similar to
a well driven CTR so its going to be ahead of a PD150 every time.

I actually came up against a GTI a couple of weeks ago, driven by a guy with a female passenger.

He wasnt content with beeing upstaged the once as he felt the need to try it at the next set of lights [:D]

It was a quiet dual carriageway in the evening before anybody gets high and mighty [;)]

It would be interesting to see how a remapped GTI goes though.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I always wondered which would win a straight line acceleration test through the gears and I have to admit I thought the PD150 would eat the MkV GTI for breakfast as it's got superior torque and roughly equal weight.
Are you serious[:O] The GTI has 50bhp more as well as decent torque that is spread over a much wider rev range than a diesel.

Real performance cars are always petrol for a reason [;)]

·
Registered
285 Posts
Irish - Yeah thinking that myself, dont know of anywhere that does the high octane stuff here, pity really.

CKB - Thanks for tryin to help [:)]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I don't know why anyone would think the PD150 in standard form will be
anywhere near a mk5 GTi. It's giving away 50bhp, inferior chassis and
not that much more torque really.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I had one following me down the M40 the other week for about 60 miles, we were in the fast lane and each time I came up against traffic he'd be up my bottom and each time the traffic got out of my way I'd leave him for dead every time...it wasn't even close.

·
Registered
566 Posts
ok ok ok point taken - don't shoot me down, I didn't think I'd open up a can of worms here! Even though the PD lacks 48bhp (ie 50PS) but has 29 lbft more torque (even though different torque characteristics), more weight, I guess the MkV would have the edge. And I said 'I wondered...' in my post, not 'I am sure....'! [:p]

~ Maxie

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
You on the old nightshift too eh?
Not officially - was putting myself into "nights" mode as I'm doing
11pm-8am tonight and tomorrow night [:(] Will be kicking around
all night tonight - you actually working or just sat at home on the
graveyard shift? [;)]

No worries - doesn't always go to plan though if you catch my drift [;)]

C

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know the TDI has 50bhp less but how they used to wipe the floor with a 1.8T 150bhp just left me wondering what they'd be like against a MKV.. It was like stealing candy from a baby! It did take me a while to catch him when I slowed right down, let him go past quite a bit faster and played catch up but again, I got him after 10-15 seconds maybe and was ahead again.

I like Gary, find the GTI a lot faster than I thought it would be. I think it's because the engine is so torquey for a petrol it just is a winning combo.

CKB - I was working til 6am alright yeh.. On tonight and tomorrow too, feel your pain.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey, Just remember lads - while you're there massaging your egos about how quick your GTI is against a diesel - that out there lurking on the road, somewhere in sootland, is a race tuned 150PD, looking very OEM, but pushing 240bhp, running NOS too, and driven by the anti-christ himself, just waiting to spoil your whole year.

Just getting in the Halloween mode...

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Hey, Just remember lads - while you're there
massaging your egos about how quick your GTI is against a diesel - that
out there lurking on the road, somewhere in sootland, is a race tuned
150PD, looking very OEM, but pushing 240bhp, running NOS too, and
driven by the anti-christ himself, just waiting to spoil your whole
year. Just getting in the Halloween mode...
I was running over 230bhp with NOS - doesn't have to be race tuned for that.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Hey, Just remember lads - while you're there massaging your egos about how quick your GTI is against a diesel - that out there lurking on the road, somewhere in sootland, is a race tuned 150PD, looking very OEM, but pushing 240bhp, running NOS too, and driven by the anti-christ himself, just waiting to spoil your whole year. Just getting in the Halloween mode...
Well, I've never heard of Sootland, and I've no plans to go there either!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
You on the old nightshift too eh?
Not officially - was putting myself into "nights" mode as I'm doing 11pm-8am tonight and tomorrow night [:(] Will be kicking around all night tonight - you actually working or just sat at home on the graveyard shift? [;)]

No worries - doesn't always go to plan though if you catch my drift [;)]

C
Why not listen to Irish's show here !

http://www.fm104.ie/

Irish's profile.. http://www.fm104.ie/showdj.asp?DJID=23857 [:D] [:p]

1 - 20 of 85 Posts