Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys - newbie here

Im thikning of buying a MKV 1.6FSi 3dr SE in black with optional 16" Hockenheim alloys and 3 spoke leather steering wheel and gear knob.

Basically im looking for feedback from owners - what can I expect?

Is the 1.6 FSI powerfull enough for some fun? Is the handling really as good as some of teh review state. and what kind of performance figures are you getting, as VW seem to ne quite conservative when posting claimed figures.

I currently have a Honda Civic sport 1.6, the ride it too harsh and its too noisy on the motorway due to gearinf - 80mph is over 4k RPM - does the 6 spd box give good m'way cruising speed?

ANY FEEDBACK much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Quote: posted by danwuk on 26/12/2004 12:50:35

HI guys - newbie here

Im thikning of buying a MKV 1.6FSi 3dr SE in black with optional 16" Hockenheim alloys and 3 spoke leather steering wheel and gear knob.

Basically im looking for feedback from owners - what can I expect?

Is the 1.6 FSI powerfull enough for some fun? Is the handling really as good as some of teh review state. and what kind of performance figures are you getting, as VW seem to ne quite conservative when posting claimed figures.

I currently have a Honda Civic sport 1.6, the ride it too harsh and its too noisy on the motorway due to gearinf - 80mph is over 4k RPM - does the 6 spd box give good m'way cruising speed?

ANY FEEDBACK much appreciated. Thanks

Depends whether you're a boy racer or not, I suppose. I have a 1.6FSI SE and it's not harsh at all - perhaps it is too new yet. 6th gear is quite high compared with cars I have previously owned. From my calculations, this gear gives 24.5mph/1000rpm and so at 80mph you should feel a lot more relaxed. Whether there is sufficient power/torque to sustain this speed up inclines etc. remains to be seen.

I am more than pleased with mine at the moment (I would say ecstatic).

Don't be put off by some of the Jonahs (with all their troubles etc!) on this forum who gave me the heebie jeebies in the nine weeks or so I was waiting for mine.

I may well have some problems of my own in due course but doesn't everyone, to some extent; after all no car is perfect.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Hello [:)]

You are making some good choices with your car [^]

If you want some fun I suggest adding the sports suspension which doesn't worsen the ride much but lowers the car making it look better and also improving the dynamic ability. It's a ?175 option but gives the car the same suspension as the GT FSI and GT TDi.

The leather steering wheel is THE best option you can pick as it really makes the car feel a lot more special.

One thing you might want to consider is looking at the spec/price of the "SPORT" model which gives you the same interior as the GT cars as well as 16" wheels, sports suspension & leather wheel etc. You lose cruise control but not sure what else if anything.

On the 1.6FSI engine I really like it. It needs super unleaded fuel but I think the performance is good. Some magazine articles say the 6th gear is too long so you need to change down on the mway sometimes but I've never really noticed. Economy is good and we get close to 40mpg overall mixed town/mway driving, mostly town actually.

On the cruising revs haven't moticed what it is at 80mph but it is defo below 3k at 70mph - I never speed you know [^]

One other thing is consider the convenience pack. Nice features like auto lights, wipers and a dimming rear mirror. These things used to be standard on the SE but not any more. Also get the "highline" multi-function display which is only ?35 or something like that - well worth it and not an option when I specced mine.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your useful repies!! - some great info there guys that I could only get from owners.

Lets hear your opinions and experiences.

Keep all the info coming. So the auto wipers and headlights arent standard on SE now? that kinda sux but is no biggy.

I think the options i want are ?320 for wheel and tyre upgrade and ?120 for the leatehr s wheel etc. Not so sure if i want the sport suspension? I want a nice handling car, but want to get away from the kind of harsh ride I have now.

I was kinda hoping 6th gear would be quite long, thats what you want for those long Mway trips isnt it, afterall thats what 6th is meant for. I think the cruise would be a good thing to have on the ocassional trips i do the FULL length of the M6.

Dont think id be willing to spend the extra on the TDi to be honest, as it looks like driven hard a 1.6 would be quicker, and you would have to do some serious miles to get the money back in fuel.

Thanks again for the info - keep it coming - oh and I will take a test drive, but right now im doing some research.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Quote: posted by danwuk on 26/12/2004 17:21:11

Thanks for all your useful repies!! - some great info there guys that I could only get from owners.

Lets hear your opinions and experiences.

Keep all the info coming. So the auto wipers and headlights arent standard on SE now? that kinda sux but is no biggy.

Don't be duped by you dealer as I was. They should have known that I would not now get those 'Convenience Pack' items which WERE NOT extras when I ordered my car. I had assumed that mine was coming with them as it was an SE model. But no, my order was not altered to include them which is extremely annoying and I've written to the CEO of VW UK about this anomaly - don't expect to get a satisfactory reply though.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Quote: posted by danwuk on 27/12/2004 10:58:13

ok thanks - ill bare that in mind

Marvin - so how do you feel about the car iteslf in general? experiences and opinions with your dealer issues put aside?

Absolutely delighted with it although I'm sure (being a pessimist) that this may not last? No, seriously, the car is very pleasant to drive and the seats and their comprehensive adjustments ensure one is always comfortable. The engine is very sweet and smooth and revs too easily during the 'running in' period and am currently averaging about 39mpg on the shorter journeys that I tend to make, although a couple of runs of over 40 miles this holiday period easily returned about 42mpg as indicated by the MFC and this is, using super-unleaded fuel.

One niggling problem, that has been reported elsewhere, is that occasionally the rear wiper does not work, but in my case this has been due to the rear hatch door not being properly shut (It has to be shut quite hard. Otherwise, the car is rattle-free and feels very solid and the car is very relaxed when cruising in 6th gear (when I feel I can let the car have reign after the first 1000km or thereabouts).

I must say that I did have some doubts about ordering a car that had only been in production for such a short period of time but my alternative, a BMW Series 1 was ruled out for various reasons amongst which was the lack of interior space and other reasons that Top Gear reported on last night in the last programme of the present series.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the info - glad to hear your pleased with your purchase.

I have also considered the BM 1 series - but WHAT A RIP OFF!

15.5-16K is my absolute max really and you can just about get a pverty spec 1 without alloys or anything for that!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Why not try a 105 Tdi Sport - I'm well pleased with mine - list price for mine was 16,900 in 5-door. As Kenl says, going for a Sport is well worth it as you get the bigger alloys (16" as opposed to 15" on the SE) and the leather extras and lowered suspension. I've had mine for 5 weeks and done 3k miles in it. Don't miss not having cruise control - the accelerator pedal is very different from anything I've driven before as your foot literally 'rests' on the pedal, so I find it very comfortable - even on longer journeys. Tank of the black stuff costs about ?38 for me if you're interested, and the last tank got me 501 miles. Hoping that will increase as the mileage creeps up. 85 mph is about 3k rpm I think sitting in 6th. See if you can get a drive in both if poss and make you're mind up once you've driven them.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Quote: posted by redbutcher on 29/12/2004 21:06:23

85 mph is about 3k rpm I think sitting in 6th.

Didnt think the 6speed box was available with the 105 pd??

I thort it was only on the 1.6/2.0 FSI, GTI and the 2.0TDI?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Didnt think the 6speed box was available with the 105 pd??

I thort it was only on the 1.6/2.0 FSI, GTI and the 2.0TDI?

It sure is (I have it). Only available if you get the Sport spec though. Don't get it in SE/S spec.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so what do you all think?

1.6 FSi SE - with opt. 16" alloys, leather wheel etc, conv. pack

?15300

or

1.6 FSi Sport with conv. pack ?15600

?????

slightliy diferent interior and lose only get cruise cont on the SE. what would you have?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the response - but why?

I was just thinking even if I specify sports suspension as well, I will have everything you get on the sport + cruise and its still cheaper...

Whilst on the subject does the sports suspension ruin the ride quality at all?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Ahh - you won't have the Sport seats though will you....[?]

There are a few other extras I think like chrome rims around the interior lights - I've not got my brochure anymore, but that gives you all the details about the extras.

I'm very happy with the sport suspension - very comfortable - good on the roundabouts and putting the power down again when coming out of corners - definitely recommend it. Also looks a bit better as it's lowered, so doesn't look like the 16" alloys are lost in the wheel arches so much.

Here's a pic of mine with the same alloys you are looking to order with the sports suspension:

http://www.butcherserver.com/car/golf/side.jpg

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Tough choice. If you want the 16" wheels then I would go for the sport. The seats in the SE are great but the GT ones are better. You also get the nice trim of the GT. You also get colour coded bits on the outside which might mean alot to you - no problem if you get black really though.

Sports suspension is well worth having. Ride is a bit harder but not by much and the car looks better and corners better.

If you don't want cruise then go for the SPORT but if you do want it you won't be disappointed with the SE.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I wish i knew the 105pd came with a 6speed box in sport guise.. i would of ordered that [:(]

I had an 1.9 SE as a curtosy car... nice but needed a 6th gear on the motorway to drop the revs a bit...

Really annoyed now [:(]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts