Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I haven't posted for some time as we haven't had a VW but my wife is considering the above we have found a used one just under two years old and low mileage (around 11k) and I am test driving it tomorrow.
I've searched through the MKV forum but wondered if threre are any specifics I should be looking for when I am driving it.
Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
some cars have quite a pronounced "woooooo" which I assume is turbo related - they shouldn't have this but in the past a good few people have commented that their car makes this noise.

Apart from that, the normal - panel fit, paint blemishes, rattles, squeaks...

Enjoy your test drive [Y]

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Yep definatly look for rattles, check to see when the next service is due and also ask if the DMF recall has been carried out. Oh and as soon as you have the car, get it chipped.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Look for alloy wheel corrosion , also the center caps, apart from that and whats already been said, there a really great motor with Grin Factor torque.

Enjoy

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Look for alloy wheel corrosion , also the center caps
Good advice - You should not have corrosion problems on the fully painted wheels such as the 17" upgraded Estorils but the standard 16" ones have a narrow polished edge, so check that for corrosion and obviously also for kerbing.

Hmm what else?

Previous owners

Is it a UK car? Has it got climatronic as standard (should have if 2 years old). What other options are on the car (winter pack, armrest or anything)? When is the next service due? How much warranty is left? If it is a UK car it will still have the third year (dealer) warranty. And as said before, has it had the Mass flywheel check. Is all the paperwork in order and the service book properly filled in.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback I do know the centre caps are corroding a little so that will need sorting.

Can I have a little more detail on the DMF and Mass Fly Wheel issues?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
they are the same thing. Certain cars were recall as the car could catch fire under " certain conditions" - no idea what that was. A recall has been issued so the car should have been sorted by now - check with the dealer - it tends to be a 2 day warranty job if not.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you know when the recall was announced I'll check with the dealer that serviced it last to be 100% sure that is was sorted.  Didn't see that recall on the government site though

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Do you know when the recall was announced I'll check with the dealer that serviced it last to be 100% sure that is was sorted. Didn't see that recall on the government site though
A couple of months ago I recall. Bummer about the centre caps corroding chaps - mine are OK!

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
yep - I'm fairly sure mine was done 2-3 months back.

To add insult to injury, when the dealer repalced my caps, he dented 2 of them. So I got him to change them again

1 - 20 of 26 Posts