Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
ah ha ha ha this nutter posted something :-)
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

just currious if any one else thinks the same,

Have just picked up a loan car from VW while they sort out mk MKIV GT TDI. the first thing I notice is that the MKv couldn't pull the skin off a warm rice pudding let alone a cold one. Although on a plus side the handling has deffinatly been sorted out much much better than the MkIV.

what does anyone else thing about 1.6FSI engine?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
HI,

just currious if any one else thinks the same,

Have just picked up a loan car from VW while they sort out mk MKIV GT TDI. the first thing I notice is that the MKv couldn't pull the skin off a warm rice pudding let alone a cold one. Although on a plus side the handling has deffinatly been sorted out much much better than the MkIV.

what does anyone else thing about 1.6FSI engine?
I certainly would not use a loan car as any benchmark when judging a car. On the basis of the 'demostrator' I took out 2 years ago, I would never have bought my Golf V. Clearly there was something amiss with the engine of the car in question and I assumed, correctly as it transpired, that my car would be nothing like that one - and it wasn't!

I like my 1.6FSI engine although, admittedly, I have not had any experience of other Golf engines, particularly their diesels, which compared with the 1.6 petrol engine, would have more poke, I'd have thought?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
As a diesel driver you may have forgotten how to drive a petrol car?

The 1.6FSI is in my opinion a good, flexible engine. You won't get great acceleration by planting your foot on the pedal in 6th gear as you might in your diesel.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had a 1.6 MKV as a courtesy car while my GT TDi was in for a service.  It was absolutely pants and would have to agree that it is awfully slow and un-refined.  My car also felt much more well screwed together and generally a nicer place to be than the bargain basement 1.6 "SE".  If I had driven it as a demo before I bought my car I definately wouldnt have bought a MKV. 

·
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with sicasey on the build quality, this one doesn't feel as well put together, as for forgeting how to drive a petrol, that's a terible thing to say to a petrol head. My girlfriends got a 1.2 16v clio and that feel's much more responsive than this.

Am sorry to say that from what i've seen so far I wouldn't be buying a MKV in the future

·
Registered
524 Posts
We had a 1.6 FSi as a courtesy car though Enterprise rent a car.
Although it is not the fastest of cars, I found the character of the engine quite pleasing and considering the weight of the car it was good on the motorway although it did get me into trouble when overtaking on a country road - I had a very near miss with a car coming the other way cos I was a bit short of power (I was used to a 1.6 VTS Saxo), anyway the great handling certainly made up for that shortfall as I was able to cut in without to much panic.

It inspired us to buy the MKIV GT TDi 130 we have now (the VTS had been written off from behind) and although the handling is not as tight as the new one, the IV is a nicer place to be and feels more cosy - the V has a higher seating position you feel more exposed - a bit like the MK 1 Focus.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I drove the MkV 1.6 FSI back to back with a MkV GTI (both times 4 up) and then my MkIV 1.6, come on it ain't that bad, yeah you have to rev it a bit, but it's a great drive overall. Driven much faster cars as well but I'd still have a MkV 1.6 without hesitation.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I drove the MkV 1.6 FSI back to back with a MkV GTI (both times 4 up) and then my MkIV 1.6, come on it ain't that bad, yeah you have to rev it a bit, but it's a great drive overall. Driven much faster cars as well but I'd still have a MkV 1.6 without hesitation.
Good for you! Let's put down all these petrol-bashing, oil burning culprits with their polluting cars spewing out particulates and with heavy diesel engines shaking their cars to bits, such that all the bits fall off and cause their cars to rattle like a tin of nuts and bolts. Bah, humbug!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I had a 1.6 MKV as a courtesy car while my GT TDi was in for a service. It was absolutely pants and would have to agree that it is awfully slow and un-refined. My car also felt much more well screwed together and generally a nicer place to be than the bargain basement 1.6 "SE". If I had driven it as a demo before I bought my car I definately wouldnt have bought a MKV.
Thanks for showing so much respect for my "bargain basement" car [:mad:] Apart from slightly different seats, your car is put together pretty much exactly the same as an SE, is it not?

Also, I can't understand how you could call any petrol unrefined compared to a diesel!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I had a 1.6 MKV as a courtesy car while my GT TDi was in for a service. It was absolutely pants and would have to agree that it is awfully slow and un-refined. My car also felt much more well screwed together and generally a nicer place to be than the bargain basement 1.6 "SE". If I had driven it as a demo before I bought my car I definately wouldnt have bought a MKV.
Thanks for showing so much respect for my "bargain basement" car [:mad:] Apart from slightly different seats, your car is put together pretty much exactly the same as an SE, is it not?

Also, I can't understand how you could call any petrol unrefined compared to a diesel!
I really, truly, madly and deeply despair at the banal comments some people here make concerning these cars. As Kenl says there is very little difference/s between certain model and certainly not enough to warrant the exaggerated differences that are made.

'S' 'SE' and now 'Match' would only be distinguised by trim levels, in the main, and so would have similar road manners and performance, assuming engines were identical and of course petrol engines are infinitely smoother and quieter than diesels, aren't they??

·
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so do prefer my car, but not taking mine into account I'm sure that VW could provide the 1.6FSI with a little more poke without any problems at all, and compair the build quality from any MkIV to any MKV I'm pretty sure you'll find the MKIV better.

And I will admit that the handling is better than the mkiv but they are well know for handling like boats.

but still at the end of the day I wouldn't go for this car.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Ok so do prefer my car, but not taking mine into account I'm sure that VW could provide the 1.6FSI with a little more poke without any problems at all, and compair the build quality from any MkIV to any MKV I'm pretty sure you'll find the MKIV better.

And I will admit that the handling is better than the mkiv but they are well know for handling like boats.

but still at the end of the day I wouldn't go for this car.
You're joking of course, aren't you? I had never, previously, considered any Golf as my possible purchases. It was only with the advent of the Golf V that, at last, I thought that it had grown up and VW had at last produced a decent roomy viable hatchback for the money. Admittedly maybe some of the internal plastics are not quite up to scratch but the overall package is infinitely better than the MK IV that it replaced.

And regarding "a little more poke" just where do you draw the line" If you want more, than buy the 2.0 litre or the TSI-engined Golfs

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think the IV was the first of the grown up Golfs.

I remember when it first came out and how I thought it was very plush- which of course it is.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I think the IV was the first of the grown up Golfs.

I remember when it first came out and how I thought it was very plush- which of course it is.
Well, it certainly looked more like a car compared to its predecessors, some of which looked liked vans with windows all round!

My neighbour had a MK3 Golf 3-dr hatchback in white/cream and it looked just like a converted van!

Very reliable, though, as it turned out.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Indeed indeed -pitty the MKIV didn't live up to it - I think the investment went into luxury rather than reliability and handling- the back bushes for example - they are probably off a MK III

·
Registered
257 Posts
Have to say,the general consensus is that VW reduced the investement inthe interior for the MkV,a nd spent it on the chasis, which is a good thing, i don't think the interior is significantly worse.

As for the engine, I find it good for overtaking if you get the right gear, but then I have trouble overtaking in a diesel, as am not used to the power range.

The only engiens to avoid I think are the 1.4's

1 - 18 of 18 Posts