Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at one of these for my next toy, (v6 24v 4 motion) looking at a few but got a few questions if people could answer them please

1) Ones with leather, are they all recaros? or is there leather and recaro leather
2) does heated/electric seats come with recaros as standard?
3) is the old man walnut standard trim?
4) Are xenons that much better?
5)Does it come with arm rest as standard?
6)Is there decent alarm/immob standard
7)any issues to look for when buying second hand

any other info or tips will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
1) Ones with leather, are they all recaros? or is there leather and recaro leather

No, you have sports seats, leather sports seats and Leather Reacro options

2) does heated/electric seats come with recaros as standard?

Not electric, but I think they are all heated

3) is the old man walnut standard trim?

Yes, but easily chucked

4) Are xenons that much better?

Yes, much better!

5)Does it come with arm rest as standard?

Don't know about the Golf but my Bora did

6)Is there decent alarm/immob standard

Its a Cat 1 stock item

7)any issues to look for when buying second hand

Check coil packs and fans repalced under warranty - if not, could
be a nasty bill. Check Haldex servicing (oil every 20k, filter every
40k) has been kept up to date as often missed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply to the Q's

So Coil packs and fans were a recall replacement??

Any other advice from people is appreciated

Just gota find a fully loaded low mileage 5 door

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Thanks for the reply to the Q's

So Coil packs and fans were a recall replacement??

Any other advice from people is appreciated

Just gota find a fully loaded low mileage 5 door
In anser to the above, no VW have never "Owned up" to the above problems. However in both cases, under warranty they replace the items if put under pressure. The coil packs basically had the guideline if two or more of the 6 failed they would replace the lot. They did not enjoy the blanket replacement that some of the 1.8T engine codes had. Dont forget there are two different variants of the V6 lump two. Pre 2001 they had one single massive coil pack on the side of the engine nearest the airbox. This item was about the same to replace as all 6 of the individual coil packs sat on top of the lump post 2001. (Therefore post 2001 is preferable for replacement costs) I dont believe there is any other differences ie in power or economy etc.

Musts are the recaro's IMO. Leather if they are tidy. The later sport leater is quite nice, but just dont quite match the recaro's. (which is why I replaced my leather sports, with cloth recaro's!!!) I also replaced all the old man wood with R32 /anni brushed aluminium... along with the Black headlining out of the anni.

Mike is bob on about the haldex.... try and ensure it has been serviced as well as everything else.

I loved my 4mo to bits when I had it... it's only real let down is the apalling fuel economy around town. (Lucky to see anything near 25 mpg, if you drive like miss daisy!!!) Longer runs are better, and you can see around 32, 35 on the motorway.

You forgive it though, for it pulls like a trian when you want to, and grips like a bitch on heat!!! lol

Good choice, as they are such good value right now. Ive seen a Black 2002 model which has had the R32 silverware, along with a decent private plate, Black leather recaro's and the 17" Santa monica wheels which has been looked after, up for ?11 K... on the Autotrader at the moment. I'd be inclined to offer less something in the region of 10K as the mileage is good.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I know a number of people who have done this and all have said its worth it. I believe the gain is something like 20 - 25 BHP (particularly the AMD remap is supposed to be good) and I think this is in conjuction with a decent exhaust. There is a chap called wayne on here (Nick is A8WPG) and he loves it.[;)]

has anyone chipped their v6? I know gains are small but was wanting peoples experiences

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I think you should be working on fitting 2 ko3s turbos in Go on ...you know you want to [;)]
U say that like its a joke mo, I think somone has finally fitted the American EIP turbo conversion, in the UK now. I'm sure they have seen the better side of 400bhp out of the car. http://www.eiptuning.com/eip/index.html check the vids on here.... awesome. (They see 450 out of the 4mo, and 600bhp out of the R32)[:O]

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
yeah ive seen how 'Awesome' (said in a yank accent) they are and I recon twin K03s turbos could be a wickedly cost effective solution as they are so easy to source.

i think Shock_xe could be the man to do the job [:D]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you should be working on fitting 2 ko3s turbos in Go on ...you know you want to [;)]
lol we already considering turbo options, one of the reasons for buying this car, myself and business partner are looking to get a 4mo each and aiming to complete a turbo conversion on them, engine. is good for 400bhp, 500bhp with uprated rod and head bolts..... already been talking to some companies about it as we are doing lots of research into the engine/ecu etc....

havent told the mrs tho about potential turbo conversion, cause she gotta use it as daily driver lol, not so worried about economy as she only does about 6mile round trip to work and drives like a granny where ill be driving a fiesta on my 25mile round trip, that way i can justify battering a v6 on the weekend fuel wise lol.

thanks for your info guys, much appreciated, its gonna make a refreshing change going from 1.8T to v6, looking forward to it. and the jump from seat to vw

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Well i will be looking forward to seeing what you do with the V6, if the stuff you have done with the Ibizas is anything to go by.

I think you should go a different route with a twin AM04 turbo V6 [;)]

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Well i will be looking forward to seeing what you do with the V6, if the stuff you have done with the Ibizas is anything to go by.

I think you should go a different route with a twin AM04 turbo V6 [;)]
Yep sounds good!!! [6]

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
could be done without too much hassle should imagine, just mapping the fecker
Somone has done it in the uk like I say, so must have over come the problems.... firstly the Right hand drive/left hand drive issues..... the manifold had been developed for the LHD amrican cars... so a RHD one would have to be fab'd. The next problem was the 4WD, in combination with as you mention the mapping.... Somone mentioned piggy backing the ecu... having your original ecu controlling the 4WD and im sure I heard mention of something called 'EVERGREEN'???!! couple with that with how much power the Haldex is capable of? there is an uprated one that EIP supply... and ive seen a video of a turboed V6 haldex blowing up and the pressure. hmm.... complicated!!!! Another thing I notice is that the r32 in the eip vid appears to be rolling roaded on a "WD rolling road... implying they have in fact disconnected the 4wd.... seems pointless to me.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Nice to see you back mark.... no plans for another 4motion yet?

As far as Turbos go look for r32 Guy he has the eip fitted.....

Howver I have another way..... and it involves ATP which should fit the RHD car and someone like Wayne at Chipwizards to do a custom map

Howvere the great debate is do i jump ship to and R32 then turbo in 12 months.... or do a 4motion turbo now?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Hiya matey, I havent gone anywhere, just feel awkward talking about a subject i'm not really part of at the minute!!! Still I did own one and pull it apart so I suppose I have some things that are worth while to say!! Hope you keeping well? Wouldnt be the same without your input on this subject... you've consistently researched it for ages!!!

As to your big question mate..... hmmm I think you should go for the R32 mate. You've never been a hundred percent about your own 4mo from the impression I got, even though its a lovely motor. I think the R would have alot of the things doen that you want... it would feel a bit different and allow you that little bit extra performance in the long run.

Having said that.... look how much value you get out of the 4mo... half the price now of the equivalent R.... hmm maybe doing the 4mo is not such a bad idea. As you can see, I had my eye on a 4mo in black ..... just not ready at the moment. And by the time I am ready it'll be an R32, Leon Cupra R or a beemer of some sort methinks...

Choices, Choices, Choices!!!! [;)]

Howver I have another way..... and it involves ATP which should fit the RHD car and someone like Wayne at Chipwizards to do a custom map

Howvere the great debate is do i jump ship to and R32 then turbo in 12 months.... or do a 4motion turbo now?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

had experience with chipwizards? was he based in runcorn? if dso it wasnt a good experience

looked at alot of options and different companies and its something we could do as we got alot of contacts through the 1.8T tuning and possibility of fabrication

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Chipwizards was only one of the names i found when investigating
remapping for turbo useage....... The 4motion uses the bosch motronic 7
system so all you need to remap it is the dimsport software, a rolling
road and 10 years of custom remapping experience LOL

I think putting a Turbo kit together shouldnt be too hard as so much
can be bought of the shelf.... ATP produce a 24v cast manifold with a
garreth flange Garret turbos are ten a penny........ and the TT
manifold looks like it would only need minor fabrication to fit a v6
turbo and be able to clear the transfer box and prop and there are
hosts of fmics for mkiv's so theoritcally the amount of custom
fabrication would be minimal..

However ATP advertise tha manifold but arent willing to sell it on its own yet... group buy maybe?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah i tried 3 different mappers to sort out my custom big turbo conversion and it involed a couple of thousand to get it right but alot was learned. I've seen a couple of cheap r32's recently ?12k-?13k but then again for ?5k less you can pick up a decent 4 mot. I've spoken to eip and they have said that it will be atleast 3-4months before the rhd 4mot. turbo kit is released. Hardware wise its not an issue but mike (shock_xe) has shared some greif with me re. mapping and thats the only thing that puts me off another custom build up. But lucky as Jabba did for the 1.8vt Eip have done for the v6, thats all the leg work on development on where the limits are with regards to engines and i must say its well over enginered again. V.A.G you have to love the thinking German Engineering is unrivaealed.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I think the EIP kit is over priced for what it is...... ihave spoken to both EIP Ric on vwvortex and the guy who does the ATP kit..... the ATP kit for all the hardware is half what the eip kit is however the downpipe is for a fwd car.. but the manifold is a proper cast manifold not a formed steel one like EIP so should give alot more longevity.

R32 guy had his kit modified and fitted in Holland, and the guys that did it used there own mapping that gets significantly more power than the EIP map....... so maybe its worth enquiring what the would charge to remap a stock ecu?

At the end of the day it should be easy to make the car driveable to get there by retarding the igntion with lemmiwinks and running very low boost and colder plugs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.