Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been touched on before but searching through the previous topics there was never a definitive answer.

My R32 has just failed it's first MOT due to the front discs being excessively corroded.

The question is what are the alternatives to VWs ?157 per disc which are obviously poor quality. I just want to replace the discs and get it through it's MOT.

On a side note what pads would you go for.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I'm sure there are plenty better discs out there, if you wanna go 2 piece or big brakes;

but I had EBC vented,grooved discs on my clio sport - look well decent and I never had any problem with corrosion! With some green stuff pads - couldn't fault performance or longevity! Won't break the bank either!

Why not have a look at EBC, TarOx, Red-Dot, Black Diamond etc - these are all well rated big brands which do aftermarket discs!

P.S. EBC Green Stuff pads! Good performance and they are nice to your rims!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers, I have looked at black diamond and ebc but neither do replacement discs for the r32, I'm gonna keep trying though

·
Registered
927 Posts
afair, the discs and/or pads are the same a certain 7series beemers - worth following up, as theyre generally cheaper.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I too have been looking into this as I have recently aquired some R32 callipers for the V5.

The standard discs are 334x32mm and a two floating piece.

I have seen on ebay a trader selling genuine discs for ?260 and pads for ?110

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Golf-R32-3-2-V6-4Motion-Front-Brake-Pads-Audi-RS4_W0QQitemZ4627429677QQihZ002QQcategoryZ9889QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Golf-R32-3-2-V6-4Motion-Front-Brake-Discs-334x32mm_W0QQitemZ170016915124QQihZ007QQcategoryZ9889QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The lighter wieght ECS discs are ?460 + VAT & del via JBRPerformance

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Volkswagen&engine=3.2&model=R32&submodel=&category=Braking&subcategory=ECS%20OE%202%20Piece

Also if it helps with the MOT I have a pair of used R32 discs sitting in the garage that you could borrow ?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
afair, the discs and/or pads are the same a certain 7series beemers - worth following up, as theyre generally cheaper.
Looking on www.brakesint.co.uk the 740i has similar sized discs at 324x30mm, unfortunatly they don't have the spec for the R32 disc.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know that the pads on the 750 are the same as the r32 ones, can't remeber what series of 750 though

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I had a set of OEM discs and EBC red stuff pads fitted at autops.co.uk for a little over ?500inc vat

OEM pads would have been ?179 (around 30 quid cheaper than RS6 ones) EBC < ?100

PS don't forget the OEM ones are Rotational (not sure about the others listed above)

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Do a search on my name, and r32 pads or amg Clicky found it

I posted all the vehicles that share these pads, basically the calipers are Girling G6s (I think dont quote the exact code)

Now the calipers maybe the same BUT caliper cariers and discs are
DEFINETLY DIFFERENT although they have the same radius offsets etc will
be different as will PCD

heres the last of shared pads from my post linked above

r32 pads are the same as according to ebc's list
http://www.ikonautomotive.co.uk/ebc/downloads/EBC_2005_PADCAT.xls

Audi RS4

Audi tt 3.2

BMW 750 5.4 e38

BMW Z8 5.0

mercedes C-Class (W202) (T202) (W203) C43 AMG

mercedes CL-Class (C140) CL55 AMG

Now anyone want to ring the various dealers and see how much there pads will be for the associated vehicles...

Little tip if you need a reg number borrow it of autotrader

The best bet from replacement discs are ECS 2 piece floating discs... PM martyn or Stewart for a review of them

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Now anyone want to ring the various dealers and see how much there pads will be for the associated vehicles...

Little tip if you need a reg number borrow it of autotrader
I should be able to do this on Monday morning.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
PS please remeber though if you get brake pads of another car, the wer
sensor maybe slightly different so you will have to cut the old one off
and reconect it to the new ones (its easy just 2 wires on one pad)

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Other thing Russel if you do buy a set , take an old pad in with you
just to be 100% sure they are the same, I only got my facts through
trawling through online brake catalogues

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well looking on the ECS site, I think I might go for these clicky. Can't really afford to be shelling out huge amounts of cash on the car while I'm half way through installing a new kitchen.

Anyway I'll give JBR Performance a shout and see if they can source them. Does JBR offer discounts to forum members?

·
Registered
837 Posts
My discs have covered 62k miles with one trackday and are looking and feeling a bit shoddy now. Have a feeling they might struggle to get through the cars first MOT in a month's time. Having started to look around for replacements I'm in shock as to the prices I'm seeing. I just don't seem to be able to find an alternative to the OEM set that don't cost the earth.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Other thing Russel if you do buy a set , take an old pad in with you
just to be 100% sure they are the same, I only got my facts through
trawling through online brake catalogues
I think this eBay add will confirm that the R32 pad is shared between the following vehicles;

Clicky
EBC UPGRADE BRAKE PADS (FULL AXLE SET) TO FIT THE FOLLOWING VEHICLES AUDI TT Coupe / Roadster 3.2 2003- Front Brake Pads Upgrade EBC
BMW 750 5.4 (E38) 94-2001 Front Brake Pads Upgrade EBC
BMW Z8 5.0 2000-2003 Front Brake Pads Upgrade EBC
MERCEDES - BENZ C-Class (W202) (T202) (W203) C43 AMG 96-2000 Front Brake Pads Upgrade EBC
MERCEDES - BENZ CL-Class (C140) CL55 AMG 2000-2002 Front Brake Pads Upgrade EBC
MERCEDES - BENZ CLK (C208) 55 AMG 99-2002 Front Brake Pads Upgrade EBC
MERCEDES - BENZ E-Class (W124) (W210) (W211) (S210) E50 AMG 96-98 Front Brake Pads Upgrade EBC
MERCEDES - BENZ E-Class (W124) (W210) (W211) (S210) E55 AMG 97-2002 Front Brake Pads Upgrade EBC
MERCEDES - BENZ S-Class (W220) S55 AMG 2000-2003 Front Brake Pads Upgrade EBC
MERCEDES - BENZ SLK (R170) 3.2 AMG 2000- Front Brake Pads Upgrade EBC
VOLKSWAGEN Golf 3.2 2002- Front Brake Pads Upgrade EBC
VOLKSWAGEN Passat 4.0 W8 (4 pad set) 2002- Front Brake Pads Upgrade EBC
Posted Image

Just collecting some reg plates from Autotrader then off to ring around,

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Spot on Russell...... I have an inkling the Merc pads will be much cheaper than anyone else..... Around the ?50 mark if i am guessing right.

PS Russel I replaced my fluid at the weekend with some Halfords[:$] DOT 5.1 oh and what a difference... fading took alot longer to appear and even when it did the pedal never completely dissapeared just got softer and i was left with 70% braking as against 10%

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
See it could get quite cheap to get an R32 setup by pinching from othere marques.... the calipers on alot of mercs and BMW's are easy to come by, but to get them onto a golf you need the caliper carrier, R32 brake lines and R32 discs.....

On the flip side you can just keep the 312 MM discs get some porsche calipers and the relevant brackets and lines cost around ?250 from Awesome...

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Going to need Chassis numbers for the Merc's, has anyone got corporate HPi checking that can get the numbers from the regs ?

Spoken to BMW who have quoted the following prices for discs and pads that fit the E38 750 and Z8 5.0;

?104.88 + VAT for pads,
?9.00 + VAT for wear sensor
?73.62 + VAT per disc

I have also found the spec sheet for the discs http://www.surplusuk.com/documents/DDF0832.pdf

1 - 20 of 62 Posts