Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question I think that gets asked allot around here,

I am planning on getting my MKVI Golf this week and getting some parts for it at the end of the month I hope.

I have been looking at a set of wheels with tyres and the body kit plus lowering springs.

The most importrant thing is the body kit, I don't want anything to over the top and thought the R32 body Kit would

be a suitable option however since looking online and looking on the forums there seems to be the subject of what

it's better.

I have personally always known fibreglass to be flimsey and can break easily however I have never had a body kit on

a car for starters. I was looking at Patch's car and he has I think OEM body kit on his however I have found it difficult to

find Genuine parts and obviously are expensive, nevertheless the parts show small cosmestice damage.

The question is are the Fibreglass R32 kits good ? Where is the best place and do they offer a spraying and fitting if needed.

The other thing was lowering springs and Wheels I like the look of the R32 wheels from MKIV but I would assume genuine

wheels as apposed to replica's are better.

BTW this will be my first ever car but my step dad has been driving golf's for 30yrs shame he had to get rid of his MKI GTI [:(]

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Just a quickie as I'm on my iPhone.

OEM parts are always going to be the best quality and fit,

Fiberglass is cheap, brittle and crap. Will crack very easily and the fit is likely to be exceptionally poor. You might get away with it for something like a spoiler, but bumpers = big no no.

ABS plastic bumpers are better quality and likely to fit better, however I know some people had had fitting problems and they come with a nasty mesh, which althogh easy to remove it can be difficult to get the genuine grills to fit.

OEM > ABS >>>>> fiberglass.

Hope that helps.

Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree with mcs34, you would be better off pricing up OEM, aftermarket fibreglass will be a pain to get looking right on the car, and could result in lots of extra cost trying to get right

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I was doing some research and found the R32 body work to be subtle but nice at the same time. I want to lower the car but nothing insane I was thuinking 35mm Lowering springs.

Basically I want the wheels to sit more flush in the wheel arch as but to have a good ride comfort if that makes sense.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Fitting a fiberglass bodykit on a car is a sin, an insult to any vw golf in my opinion.

I have lots of experience with fiberglass bodywork from 4 years in competative motorcycle racing, all race bike bodywork is fiberglass.

I would never ever put this material onto my vw golf ...... i too need the r32 kit.

After lots of searching there are companies that seem to do exact copies of the vw r32 bumper using the real material ABS plastic. They are cheaper than vw and should be excellent quality and fitment, they even use the genuine r32 plastic vent grills.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How strong is a fibreglass one and how many layers does it consist of. I am not at the stage of getting the kit. I am getting wheels first and badges

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Fitting a fiberglass bodykit to your golf is the equivelant of the queen fitting a dog shit to the crown jewels!!!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
i brought an abs r32 front bumper from german ebay, think it was a jom one? for around £130 posted, the fit is prety good, seems a few mm to wide though, fitting an r32 front bumper you have to make up wheel arch liner extensioners as the r32 bumper is wider down there,i cut up a plastic bucket, and as said above it does come with horrid bbq mesh and the oem grills are an absolute nightmare to make fit, i actualy replaced my mesh and front plate yesterday for a nice pressed plate and oem grills, overall if you can afford an oem front bumper do it!! otherwise get an abs kit and dont go anywhere near fibre glass,

·
Registered
146 Posts
i have a picture of how it was before i put the pressed plate on and the r32 grills,but being an idiot at pc's i dont know how to upload so it shows here.in all honesty if the abs is your price range, go for it! the fit is prety good you wont be disapointed and i tweeked out the wings slightly with washers so the extra width on my bumper is not noticable,it also seems that you need to add a packer on top of the crash bar where the bumper actualy sits on to raise it slightly i know the bar seems adjustable with the bolt holes but i just used rubber packing, but iv seen loads of pics of replica abs bumpers and they seem to lineup perfect so maybe its just the jom abs? either way im happy it still looks good and its not bad at all,go for it!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
use photobucket.com to upload the images then copy the link it is all laid out for you on photo bucket. When posting a replay or topic there are some icons that are above one of them is a logo of a tree click that then paste the link into there and the post you should be able to then see the pic in the post you replied to.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How much did it cost you to get sprayed, I remember you mentioned you fitted it and also where did you get it from as I want to go down the route of the whole kit. Fibreglass I am staying well clear of ABS plastic looks ok I don't want headlight washers also did you get the splitter from there.

Post some more pics up so I can obviously get a better look. R32 body work is really difficult to find and I would love it on the car but it would be worth more than the car :p

·
Registered
146 Posts
cost me £150 to get sprayed up, but prices vary depending on where you go so best ask around for a good price, ebay or german ebay!! ebay.de as it was cheaper for me {i live in the channel islands hence my number plates different} you can find it also on uk ebay, but make sure you read the item description with great detail, as some abs and grp/fibre glass bumpers come with or without the circular notch cut out for the VW badge, so if you want to debadge nows the time to start doing it,

·
London Refurbs'
5,615 Posts
Not always the case that OEM fits best everytime. Hamidi had one and it was a shocking fit IIRC.

Peter

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
OEM stuff all the way, fits properly and not prone to damage from lite knocks. Also R-line rear for mk4 looks the mutts
[Y] r line rear, r32 front and skirts from either the r32 or anni (cant decide)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts