Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new to this forum but have just recently bought a GT-TDI 130PD and have suddenly noticed a loud whirring noise when turning left but it also does it when turning right but not as much.

Its is only at low speeds this happens and when the clutch is pressed when it does happen it disaperes. I had the car checked and everything seems ok with suspenison, breaks etc etc but i have been advised it could possibly be the differential/gearbox.

If anyone has any advice on possible causes i would really appreciate them. I am yet to check gearbox oil to make sure everything is ok as i have heard this can cause this to happen if it is not being lubricated properly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its the only thing i can think of but ill try and replace the gearbox oil and ill put some of that ZX1 Extralube stuff in as well to treat the metal to reduce friction.

Does anyone know how much a replacement differential/gearbox would cost if it happened to go.

Also could a faulty dual mass flywheel cause this as it does knock when cold but when warm is fine.

·
Registered
601 Posts
if you look around ebay you should be able to pick up a box for around the 300 mark

i found one for a pd115 for 250 and that came with starter/excellent clutch & fly wheel. Fitted it easily on my own as well

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good think ill go for the cheapest first and change the gearbox oil and add some ZX1 which is a friction eliminator, if this dont work ill just have to leave it until it actually goes cause cant afford a replacement for it yet haha

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Does it do it with the car stood still and turning the steering & holding it on a full lock ? Did you check the power steering oil level, drive belt and tensioner ? Get a mate to put it on a full lock with the engine running while you look under the bonnet

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had it looked at and theres no leaks or anything from the gearbox so they said its not worth getting it changed as if theres no leak then the oil should be fine as it doesnt really heat up or get used up so should be ok.

However when they heard the noise they said it could be the gearbox/diff, driveshafts/CV joints, which when i heard this suggested, would make more sense as gears change easily with no issues or slipping out of gear but the car when i bought it was lowered easily 50mm+ for over 6 years the person advised so could be excessive wear on the driveshafts/CV joints as they wont be sat at the angle there supposed to be. Its only lowered 35mm now but the noise is still there but would this not be due to excessive wear as when set higher the noise was louder so cant see it being gearbox/diff.

Any ideas i would be really grateful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts