Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

MkIV front camber kits???

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
5K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Neil-S 
#1 ·
Hi does anyone know if the front camber is adjustable on a MKIV golf, The camber on my 4 Mo is on the negative side, VW cannot bring it in any more, not even by moving the sub frame, as a result my tyres only last for 7k before the inner edges go bald, VW have checked for damaged components and all are ok. Does any one now of a camber kit or suspension kit that will allow adjustment of the front camber. I?ve got a feeling this happens when braking as when the front dips the suspension compresses, and thus produces more negative camber. I.e. me inner tyres take the entire road surface. Any help gladly appreciated.

#2 ·
Is this happening on a standard unlowered 4motion?? If so it sounds very wrong. Are you sure that the wheels are not towing in slightly?

Mine used to wear perfect and now, even tho my motor is SLAMMED the camber at the front is not bad at all.

The back is terrible, but I am working on a solution to that.

I believe you can buy adjustable top mounts which may help your cause... but I would seriously be questioning your alignment first, and secondly VW's judgement on your problem!!! [:I][:D]

Good luck.

M

#3 ·
Yes my 4 mo is standard unlowered, VW keep telling me the same thing, that they need ?100 to put it on the alignment machine, only to tell me that?s the best they can do. last time it was in they could not get the camber in enough, not enough adjustment they said, looking at the car head on the camber doesn?t look that bad. I?m pretty sure the toe is spot on as this is the only thing they did have full adjustment of. Does any one have a 4 wheel alignment test report from when they had there cars aligned? So I can compare the camber and toe settings against the report I got. Also what other causes would there be for both inner edges of the tyres to become worn. The car has never been crashed and no bent suspension components, I belive this car had this fault from new. Could it have come out wrong from the factory, Where can I get these adjustable top mounts front.

what should the camber settings be can any one email them to me? I think of the top of my head they were 0.31 right and 0.32 left. I pretty sure they should be close to 0.00

#4 ·
?100!!!!!! Robbing Stealers!!! Get yourself to Awesome gti, or Demon Tweekes... or any good motorsport garage. LAZER 4 wheel alignment should be no more than about an hours labour, so for these no more than about ?40. Awesome may be be able to assist on the Adjustable top mounts too.

Sorry havn't had mine done yet, but then mine isn't really a good comparison bcos I am so low!!!

Best advice I can give is to wave goodbye to your stealers too!!![^]

#5 ·
Had it aligned ay awesome Gti some time back they said all camber settings were in manufactures specs, car actually felt worse from them then from the stealers, and still I get this tyre wear, Anyone got the alignment results from there geo`s so I can compare with mine please sent to jedi134@hotmail.com will be much appreciated.

#11 ·
Neil-S these look like the target values, do you have the actual values after adjustment, mine read like this

Front camber left: -0.39 rigth: -0.32

Front Toe left: -0.02 right: -0.02

rear camber left: -1.27 right: -1.29

Rear Toe left: +0.24 right: +0.17

K.P.I. left: +0.37 right: +4.52

castor left: +7.50 right: +8.08

Thrust: -0.04

#12 ·
I am not sure what you want? Every car is different so my car will not be the same as yours. I spent half a day adjusting my setup to get it as close to factory spec as I could. You want the thrust to be as close to 0 as you can. Your left castor is perfect you right is within tolerance (7.50' + -30' the tolerance is max left to right 30'). Your toe in is on the limit. My settings are practicly the target settings with a bit of extra neg camber,I hope this helps.

#13 ·
I`m really after the full Geo print out so I can compare readings. I realise that all cars will not be the same, but there must be something serioulsy wrong with mine if its killing tyres at 6-7K. I suspect the KPI as these have the biggest difference from side to side. I have been told this is very wrong,[:(].

#15 ·
yep !!! the sub frame was moved last time VW checked it in an attempt to get the cambers in. But............ they did not do a full Geo on the car the 1st 2 times so I have not readings of what they were, I have been talking to a Geo instructor and he reckons Vw have let me down big time. He reckons the KPI is well wrong!!!!(which would cause the tyres to scrub apparently) probably due to the sub frame being moved. To be honest VW didnt inspire confidence with the answers they gave me about the Geo. Im pretty sure no one knew how to do a full Geo properly. I asked for other 4 Mo... owners Geo readings just so I can compare, and get a rough idea of what they should read. Hopefully VW will sort this out after the hols but until then I need as much info as I can get on this problem. Thanks again Neil.

#20 ·
4 wheel lazer alignment set up can cost from 4k to 100k+,I use the same setup that rally art use. I teach motor vehicle my background is in high performance tuning the alignment kit belongs to a tuning company that I do consultancy work for so I use it for free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.