Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer or next summer I wasnt to buy a VR6 as a 'fun' car. I've got my good old MkIV diesel for work and back, but I fancy something really fast and cheap to buy for the weekends, the odd day at work etc., probably just during the summer, then I'll sell it on.

What I want to know is, is 100000 miles death for a vr6 because almost all of the I've seen about have that or more. I'll probablytake my time looking & spend 2-3k on one.

Or, are there any other fun/fast cars for about the same price I should consider (preferably vag group!)

Cheers

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
100k miles is not a problem at all for these engines, some people
consider that to be just run in for a VR, they tend to really loosen
off after about 80k miles and just fly, so something with 100k miles is
not a big deal.

·
Registered
127 Posts
100k miles on a VR is nothing. Make sure its been looked after though. Preferrably get one thats had a head rebuild and you should have no bother.

The old style vr6 engine is amazing. I have a mint vr Corrado if you interested??

The sound is awesome.

T.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reassurance you two!
And thanks for the offer Timo, but I'm not a fan of corrado's! (not a fan of a vw, ah, treason!!)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Shame you're not a fan of Corrados - they're the best handling car VAG has made for many years, and with the V6 they're also very quick!

If it's a fun car then why not stretch the budget - I spotted a Westfield in the 'trader for ?4750 the other day - can't get much more fun than one of those!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Wonderful car. Nice exhaust - oooooouuuuhhhh the noise!

Mate of mine had one, gorgeous car - never broke down, engine was still solid as a rock at 100k!

Beware the corrado 2.9s - a lot weaker block. - no good for extreme modding (or so I've heard)

A chip will get you near 200hp, but anything more starts getting very very expensive!! You're looking at superchargers etc. Depends how fast you wanna go mate!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Richard - never knew what a Westfield was until now, they look really cool! But way over my limit - my budget will never allow for that unfortunately. Thanks for the idea though. Maybe I should give the corrado another look if it's that good - I never liked the bora but now it's on the front of my golf!

Sprog - The VR6 is 175ish standard isn't it? I don't think I'll need to mod it as I drive a chipped 90bhp diesel! Though it may be inevitable!

·
Registered
127 Posts
The 2.9 vr6 is 190 bhp standard, although most give out more than that.

The 2.8 was around 175bhp, but the later OBD2 were around 185/190bhp although VW advertised that.

2.9 vr6 is known to be slighter weaker than the 2.8 but they are still rock solid engines.

T.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
If you're looking at corrados! I'd have the G60 without a doubt - a lot lighter engine with the same punch!, tunability is also good because it's forced.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Polo G40's and Golf / Corrado / Passat G60's are supercharged, if well looked-after they can last ages and produce 160BHP in the G60 version.

Corrado G60 is certainly an entertaining drive but a Golf G60 Syncro is better!

I've got a Vento VR6 for sale if that tickles your fancy, very quick and not thirsty either.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
What's a G60? I've heard of it on MkII Golf's. But I don't really know what it is.
They did put the same engine in MKII Rallyee! But they were all left'hookers!

Quite an old engine now - but basically it's a Supercharged 1.8 8v! Standard it put out 158bhp standard, but most now have been Jabba'd! Chipped & pullied and put out 200bhp no problem!

Aero-dynamics and handling are both excellent too. (more than I can say for my golf!)

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For the love of god! There seems to be an ever growing list of possibilities now:
Golf VR6
Corrado VR6
Vento VR6
Golf G60
Corrado G60

I'm going to have to have a look at all of these aren't I? As for my earlier comment about not liking the look of a corrado, I think I was actually on about the vento. So there we go.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Don't forget Polo G40! [:p] If played with .... provide an entertaining ride!

I'll make this easier for you mate - Corrado has an electric spoiler which automatically comes up at 45mph!!! [H]

Good luck with your decision mate!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Yep. totally! I've seen one come off the rollers with 230bhp! How can that not be entertaining!?!?!

Just an idea mate - granted - probably not the most sensible suggestion!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll make this easier for you mate - Corrado has an electric spoiler which automatically comes up at 45mph!!! [H]
You have got to be kidding?! That would be wicked! (If a little dangerout - I'd be watching for it all the time!)
I've looked at a corrado on google images and I like the squareness of it! I'm going to check out a few prices and how much I have in the bank, then decide whether it'll be this summer or next!

EDIT: Just looked at some corrado's on the trader and they're all 2.9 - is that what all corrado's are? Sprog, you said the 2.9 engine was a lot weaker - what did you mean? I won't be doing any modding to it.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Not kidding! Its the total t|ts! It's a bit 'porsche' but cool as hell!

Are all corrados 2.9? - No! G60 Corrado is a 1.8 Supercharged!, they also did an NA 1.8 and a 2.0 16v.

Left alone - the 2.9 is strong enough and puts out good power too. IF you wanted to do major tuning i.e supercharge or turbo the VR6! - I would recommend doing it to a 2.8 is all i meant!

If you're gonna go for the VeeDub Capri! and your not gonna tune it!! The VR6 Storm is fast, well reliable!, no supercharger rebuilds! the noise is fantastic!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
one word....

Peugeot

a 306 Gti6 will lauhgh at ll the above in a straight line.... and on
the corners you will think you are Ayrton Senna re-incarnate.... They
are the last word in handling and balnce with a perfect ratio of power
to weight.

dont get a 100;000 miler thogh get a low mileage 306 rallye..... light years ahead of any VR6

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
one word....
Peugeot

a 306 Gti6 will lauhgh at ll the above in a straight line.... and on the corners you will think you are Ayrton Senna re-incarnate.... They are the last word in handling and balnce with a perfect ratio of power to weight.

dont get a 100;000 miler thogh get a low mileage 306 rallye..... light years ahead of any VR6
They are pretty balanced, BUT...both statisically and in real life, the corrado is faster. granted...it would be fairly close. and Perhaps have it on corners yes, but don't forget to mention the lift-off oversteer which kills most "Ayrton Senna re-incarnates". and it will probably fall apart cos it's french. [;)]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts