Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or i think it may have been auto express, i just glanced at the cover briefly.

Anyway, it had a picture of the new Mk6 golf on the cover, may have been just a concept, but it looked scarily like a current Astra.

Apparently it is costing VW so much to make the mk5, it has brought the launch of the new car forward.

Looked on the websites and couldnt find anything, hence no link.!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I've read it in a couple of places that it could (COULD!) be as soon as 2008 for the mk6... But nothing in either place was confirmed.

And before anyone asks, no, it was read in flight at work, could've been on any number of sites [:)]

C

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Mmmmmmm not sure I like that, looks like a squashed new Polo.  Would be a pity to release the Mk6 that soon, the Mk4 was around for about 8 years and still felt fresh before the Mk5 was released.  That would mean the Mk5 would only be around for 4-5 years before the Mk6 is launched.  Too short a period IMO.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Good analogy it does a bit - I looked and simply saw a cross between the previous model Focus and the current Astra [:|]

C

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re the first link, i'm not liking that one little bit, just looks like a Passat hatchback and the shape looks like an Astra.

What is it with VW and chrome grills these days, it looks horrible!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
looks crap tbh but i think i will grow on people n maybe aspect will change within the final design fingers crossed anyway

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Wounder whats going to happen about release of other cars based on the platform.. such as future Audi A3, Octavia, Leon etc

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Wounder whats going to happen about release of other cars based on the platform.. such as future Audi A3, Octavia, Leon etc
I expect it will be built on the same platform since theres principally nothing wrong with it. Its the rest of the car which is costing VW money. Skoda, Audi and Seat all manage to produce cars on the same platform whilst being cost effective. Therefore I expect it will be rebuilt from the platform up with quicker (but hopefully not quality costing) designed in from the off. I see it more as the Golf Mk5.5 rather than a Mk6.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I think part of it is all that fancy laser welding. It's good but difficult and costly to rework if it goes wrong, or summat.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
its the time taken to produce each car. Apparently it takes twice as long to build a mk5 as opposed to rival cars which means VW is less cost effective with its output. If it could produce at the same rate as the competitors then it could build twice as many cars or the same amount but in half the production time.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
This was posted about last week, http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/515524/ShowPost.aspx this is from a business perspective so would seem to be more than just Autocar trying to sell copies.

Apparently the doors are very costly to manufacture!

This is the text for anyone that can't access the link:

'FRANKFURT (AFX) - Volkswagen AG's new version of its Golf model will enter the market in 2008, a year earlier than the automaker had originally planned, chairman of the Volkswagen Brand Wolfgang Bernhard told Der Spiegel magazine.

The current model is burdened by high production costs, with each car taking 48 hours to be manufactured on the assembly line. Door construction alone costs about 300 eur in needless reworking. A new model will take both less time and money to produce, Bernhard told the magazine.

Rival car companies are able to produce comparable models in half the time, reported Spiegel. '

EDIT> Sorry just seen this is the text that Mikemod linked to in his second link.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re Damian's link.....

I could live with that, that looks pretty funky. I'm betting a boggo 1.4 wouldnt look as good though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts