Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new on here and will fill my bio/signature in tomorrow. Will start a build thread as soon as I can as well. Picking up my Mk4 tomorrow and already have loads of plans for it. Love the Mk5 boot handle on a Mk4 idea. It's probably the first thing I'm going to do. One question though:

Gonna be chucking out the gamma and fitting something to make use of all that double din space! A couple of units I'm looking at have the reverse camera input for the screen. Is it possible to wire in/re-wire a Mk6 reverse camera to plug into the back of one of these after-market radios?

Reason I'm asking about it now is that I've read somewhere the Mk6 boot lock unit goes a bit deeper than the Mk5 (something about the wiper being in the way). While I'm getting my tailgate hacked up I would like to fit the Mk6 badge now instead of the Mk5 and kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

And the pop-up mechanism for the Mk6 badge, does that get it's signal off the reverse lights or something? Sorry, have read through so many forums that I've confused myself a bit.

Thoughts, commments? Have I been clear enough?

Cheers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are two problems that I can see at the moment but my priority is getting the camera to pop out when reverse is s elected. Looking at various wiring diagrams the wiring harness will work assuming I chop the end of the connector off (2 pin for the Mk5 mod) that goes to the reverse lights, and wire them in myself. I assume its a power supply line and I won't find a 2 pin receptacle waiting for me! So something like wiring it in parallel to the reverse lights themselves.

As for the video input, the plug I've discovered is a 4 pin IP86 type. I'm sure somewhere there is someone who knows someone who can make an adapter to convert that to a normal 1 pin coax and therefore fit in the back of my planned headunit.

I'm happy to be the guinea pig (more money than sense!) but I need more info on the workings of the Mk6 camera. For example, does it need any extra motors for the camera pop-up/opening the badge or is everything integrated into one neat little unit?

As I said, if I can fit one to my car and have the camera pop out when reverse is s elected then I feel I've won. We'll worry about the video feed later (and when I have a bit more cash).

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Very good luck with this mate, i was wanting to eventually do the same thing but its a long way off (if it ever actually happens) but i would love to see someone do it.

Whilst looking into it i came across this site which seemed very usefull, dont know if you have seen it? Its for the Mk6 into Mk5 but sure it will help.

http://www.my-gti.com/1423/installing-a-golf-mark-vi-rear-view-camera-rvc-into-a-golf-mark-v

Again good luck mate, and if and when you do it get pics up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Going ahead with it. Fingers crossed there'll be a very happy bloke in a few months time (wish it was few weeks but even I haven't got that kind of cash!!) [<:eek:)]

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Wiring will be the easiest part of doing this mod,splice into the revverse light wire to power the camera and also to tell the headunit so it can automatically switch to rear camera view.You'll only need to run the one reverse light wire and one video coax cable rear to front in the car and you'll be ready to go with the rest of it.

Chris.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh no!! I wanted to be the first! lol

Good on you bud. Have you got an OEM screen for the camera or something aftermarket? If it's aftermarket how are you connecting the camera to it? I'm struggling to find an adaptor.

More than happy to do a write up for whoever needs it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Lol! I have the Pioneer Avic unit, and you would need to get a converter to get camera hooked up because it uses RGB signal. Not sure about the OEM as it doesnt have the reverse camera input. If I get a chance I will post few screen shots later [funky]

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
There is a post on this forum from a German guy that has this already.

Not sure exactly how he wired it though.

Also check out the new Polo rear badge - its recessed in the rear hatch now - looks real nice.

Not sure if they have a reverse camera option though.

In the meantime, enjoy the video:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"you would need to get a converter to get camera hooked up because it
uses RGB signal"

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. Struggling to find one. Could probably modify an S-video cable. Where did you get yours from?

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
I vaguely remember the conversation I had with Stan about this,but I'm sure all it needs is an RGB to composite video converter?

Chris.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
304 Posts
You need the original loom for the camera from VW and use that. Yes you also need converter. I bought cheap one for ?20 ish and it didnt work. I eventually bought one for arond ?100 and that did the job. Its an expensive mod considering all the bits needed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, so harness part number is 5M1970161AC,
found that on someone else's guide. But doesn't that end in a 26 pin
plug? I assume you chop the plug off and re-wire it, is that what you
did?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts