Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to pop out to the bank (some 5 miles away)....across country essentially, so it's a great road for blatting along.

On my way back, i gets alongside this very stock looking Mk5 Esc*rt RS2000 16v thing at the last roundabout of the town...and I see him off - safely in front of him at my exit....

I look behind - the guy's going my way .... and he's up for a tussle (oh joy!).

Plenty of slow cars to keep me focussed on the cross-country jaunt, but he couldn't really *bother* me, and I was even able to respect my brakes a fair bit.

He had a slight probelem, in that we came to the major junction at the end of the said 'blatting' road, at the main 'A' road.......I stopped just fine, be he couldn't!

He swerved to miss me and only *just* managed to pull up level - otherwise he'd have been T-boned on the main road!........i wound my window down and the STINK was unreal......then i saw the plooms of blue smoke coming from under his wheel arches and bonnet....

.....I pulled off killing myself laffing......he went the other way.

The joys of kicking ass......26mpg again....oh well

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
FANTASTIC [:D]

Thats just the sort of tussle I like Old Vs New .

Theres a Renault 5 turbo in the ville that thinks he's the mutts nuts, he's just not crossed my path yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Grow up and get a racing licence if you want to play games like that. Either that or save if for a track day. Let joe public and his wife and family live a little longer! Its' just not worth it.

I've lost count of the number of so called 'boy racers' who just embarass themselves on the tack [:p] until they learn what proper car control is all about.

·
Registered
201 Posts
fair enough,you are entitled to your opinion,but track driving bears no resemblance to what Foxy has described,which is just spirited driving and braking,and yes,fast road driving is more about visibility than it is about bravery

I drive hard all the time,but safely,lifes just too short not to enjoy every minute of it,but I would never criticise a tree-hugging cardigan-wearing leaf-eating chap for his view,its a free country

good point about boy racers though,although I've not seen many on track days

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, everyone has a right to their own opinion , I'm all up for that, but not when it's likely to lead to the death of an innocent person.

Spirited driving is fine, thats why I'm here but if your read carefully Foxy sounds like he's on the limit of driving recklessly. I quote "nearly T boned", "plenty of slow cars", "plumes of blue smoke". To me this is toooooo much spirit!

May be it is just spirited reporting?

To quote Evo magazine "there is no retry button" ... in life! Hence do it properly on the track where we can all live to a ripe old age.

I don't mind people killing themselves but not others.....I want to enjoy many more years of driving thanks - God knows its cost me years to save up for it!

ZMan

·
Registered
181 Posts
Quote: posted by ZMan Posted - 13 Apr 2005 : 18:54:56

Spirited driving is fine, that?s why I'm here but if your read carefully Foxy sounds like he's on the limit of driving recklessly. I quote "nearly T boned", "plenty of slow cars", "plumes of blue smoke". To me this is toooooo much spirit!

eh? a little trouble reading?[8)] that was the other car.

Foxy is by no means a boy racer iv read many of his threads, and feel iv got a good judge on his character and daily manner, a very well respected member. if he can "respect the brakes" stop well before the junction and simply enjoy driving with minimal risk to himself or others, why are you so annoyed[?] Its not his responsibilty for the idiotic moves of 3rd parties, surely? (There?s always a risk even if you?re doing 10mph) Enjoy yourselfs everyone but do it safely now! [:)]

[eddited because i STILL can't use the quotes properly [:I]]

·
Registered
201 Posts
Zman

the journalists in Evo are no saints,some of them have long histories of spirited road driving,most since their days at Performance Car mag.Harry Metcalfe (the old owner before they sold out to Dennis) has hedged a few,inc a Porche,and Meaden and friends have always defended the Clarkson position on life on the roads.In fact,when one of their contributors got banned for overtaking 6 cars in an Evo Extreme all he got was support..................and Foxy didn't mention anything like that

Without wanting to start another speed debate,a skilled driver using his car as its designed is ten times safer than a nobber in a Rover 45 who drives at 40 everywhere,inc when its unsafe to do so.

I could kill the biff who drove at 35 past my sons school yesterday when i went to pick him up (double parking,kids crossing,etc etc) but i would still cheer someone out for an enjoyable drive (safely,obviously)

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Dont you just love newbies [:D]

I had a tussle with an Arthur on the A6 coming back from Loughborough tonight, but I wont say any more, I might get branded a diesel driving boy racer.[:I]

Chill winston [:D]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote: posted by ZMan on 13/04/2005 18:25:42

Grow up and get a racing licence if you want to play games like that. Either that or save if for a track day. Let joe public and his wife and family live a little longer! Its' just not worth it.

I've lost count of the number of so called 'boy racers' who just embarass themselves on the tack [:p] until they learn what proper car control is all about.

OK guv' - it's an honest cop.........

....I was having a load of fun, but in this case i think myself and the car were *well* within their limits....my opinion of course.

....My 21 years of driving tell me this....but i have been known to get wrapped up in "the moment" a few times in the past - but this wasn't one of them.

....I did worry about the doode in the Esc*rt though - I would have felt pretty sick if he'd totalled it and seriously hurt / killed himeself or others.

....The chase was pretty innocuous I thought - just a spirited dash across 5 miles of road I know very well indeed - no silly risks - all manouvres taken with 110% visibility.

....I can't knock you for coming in strong - as i wouldn't want onlookers to be tempted into risky driving.

....As for track days - i'm off to the Nuerburgring with some other uk-mkiv reprobates at the end of this month, so perhaps i'll get hooked or get it out my system for good!

....Oh, and as for the write-up - I really thought i'd relayed it in the low-key manner in which it occurred!?

I aint gonna apologise for my driving today - it was a bit of fun...but perhaps next time i'll put a notice in the back window "DISCLAIMER - follow me at your own risk"......

...Ta for the feedback.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by Del-Gti on 13/04/2005 22:34:04

Quote: posted by Jace on 13/04/2005 22:24:59

Dont you just love newbies [:D]

Your point being[?]

The point being is that Foxy isnt the max muppet lexus light wearing mk5 driver who goes looking for trouble racing other cars, & that he's just had his MK5 remapped & is enjoying the extra benifits of more power/torque, but if you were an older member you'd have already read about his remaping exploits. I had my MK4 remapped last month & I still havent lost that MASSIVE [:D]

I find there are many people out there who drive like complete TW4TS, I do 35k a year so I see plenty daily, mostly driving 318's or mondeo's.

In my eyes Foxy is Mr MK4 [^]

·
Registered
779 Posts
Z-Man r u a sunday driver. Dont tell me you aint never done nothing wrong ever on the road-COS IF YOU DO YOU ARE A LYIN ?. Foxy enjoy germany mate!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not another 'flaming' post?

We ALL like to drive, which usually requires the use of the right foot a little sometimes. This doesn't necessarily mean reckless driving.

I don?t condone speed in built up areas and as foxy mentions, especially around schools, but please please please let us have some degree of fun!

Otherwise, what?s the point? We might as well sell up an all buy 1.0 Micra?s

Just for interest purposes, what car do you drive Z-man?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I got two points tonight......

Sure lock me up and throw away the key! I was doing 11mph or something over the speed limit!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts