Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd post a few pics for comparison. I've just upgraded my rear wiper from the ugly standard wiper to the Mk5 wiper. I opted to buy the Touran blade rather than the Polo blade as it is meant to be about 1cm or so longer (so I'm told) and comparable to the standard wiper blade length. It's possible that the Touran blade may be too long for cars with rear spoilers but here are pics so you can see for yourself :

Standard wiper [+o(] :

Posted Image

Mk5 wiper with Touran blade [H] :

Posted Image

Wipe arc of Touran blade :

Posted Image

Frisky...

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cost me just ?17.40 (inc p&p) from Shaq from the forum! Bargain! Dealer wanted almost ?22. Had a nightmare trying to get the old wiper off though. Nothing I did would budge it. Had to buy a wiper removal tool in the end to remove it because it had seized on put was a doddle once I got it. Popped out within 10 seconds.

Franky...

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
that looks really good i want to do it to my car but the wiper would hit my spoiler, could i just get a smaller wiperblade? or is it more complicated than that?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that looks really good i want to do it to my car but the wiper would hit my spoiler, could i just get a smaller wiperblade? or is it more complicated than that?
Instead of getting the Touran blade, you just buy the Mk5 Polo/Golf blade which is a bit shorter so that'd clear the rear spoiler. Loads of Mk4's on here have that mod which is much more popular than what I've done.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so what do i need to order, could i fit it useing the haynes manual?
If you send a Private Message to 'Shag' on this forum, you can buy it at discount rate from him. Just over ?17 inc delivery rather than about ?23 from the VW dealer.

All you need are 3 parts : Mk5 Polo wiper cap, Mk5 Polo wiper arm, Mk5 Polo wiper blade

The only problem I had was removing the old wiper! It was seriously seized on. Spent an hour trying to wiggle it, WD40'd it, wedge it off, but no luck. In the end, I had to buy a wiper removal tool. It then took about 10secs to pop it out!

To replace your standard wiper for the Mk5 one, it's soooo easy [;)]

Pop old wiper cap off, undo the bolt, remove old wiper, clip new wiper blade to wiper arm together, slip it into place on the car, refit bolt and pop new wiper cap on. That's it!!

If you get stuck, just let me know.

Franky...

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
If you send a Private Message to 'Shag' on this forum......
Shag?? Who's he??!! PMSL [:D] [:D] [:D]

Mod does make it look a lot better, either way (what's been done here or various other mixes)... Niceo ne [y]

C

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
If you send a Private Message to 'Shag' on this forum, you can buy it at discount rate from him. Just over ?17 inc delivery rather than about ?23 from the VW dealer.

All you need are 3 parts : Mk5 Polo wiper cap, Mk5 Polo wiper arm, Mk5 Polo wiper blade

The only problem I had was removing the old wiper! It was seriously seized on. Spent an hour trying to wiggle it, WD40'd it, wedge it off, but no luck. In the end, I had to buy a wiper removal tool. It then took about 10secs to pop it out!

To replace your standard wiper for the Mk5 one, it's soooo easy [;)]

Pop old wiper cap off, undo the bolt, remove old wiper, clip new wiper blade to wiper arm together, slip it into place on the car, refit bolt and pop new wiper cap on. That's it!!

If you get stuck, just let me know.

Franky...
thanks that sounds like a peice of cake lol

will let you know how it goes

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks that sounds like a peice of cake lol

will let you know how it goes
Hey mate, just noticed you're just down the road from me [Y] Let me know if u have problems getting your rear wiper off. I've still got my wiper removal tool that you can use [;)]

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Which spoiler do you have? Mine's been on for nearly two years now and I haven't had a problem.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Which spoiler do you have? Mine's been on for nearly two years now and I haven't had a problem.
seee the below pic, if i put the touran blade on their i think it will hit

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can just get the Mk5 blade. Looks exactly the same as mine, but just a bit shorter, so you have more clearance for spoilers. If I get a chance this evening, I'll try measure the length of the standard wiper (if I can find it still after I threw the thing into the garage somewhere) and the new one.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
You can just get the Mk5 blade. Looks exactly the same as mine, but just a bit shorter, so you have more clearance for spoilers. If I get a chance this evening, I'll try measure the length of the standard wiper (if I can find it still after I threw the thing into the garage somewhere) and the new one.
ok thanx

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey. I finally got a chance to measure both new and old wipers :

Standard wiper = 43.5cm

Mk5 wiper with Touran blade = 44.5cm

I think you might be better off getting the Mk5 blade instead of the Touran blade because you need the extra clearance.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you get stuck removing your old wiper.

Franky...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You can't see it very well in this pic, mine goes to the edge of the glass which is enough to get it inside the spoiler. (touran blade)

Posted Image

If in any doubt just get the shorter blade.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Seeing as they do not sell Tourans in Australia - can you advise the part number of the Touran blade?

It has to be a special order from Germany - so no refund if they get it wrong!

Also the cap over the squirter has two part numbers:

Up to 2004 for Golf & Polo the part number is 6Q6 955 435A

2005-on for Golf & Polo the cap number is 6Q6 955 435B

Does anyone know what the difference is between the two???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts