Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
As to the headlight washers and self adjust they are not tested for in the MOT at present so assuming the level is fine the car will pass no problem.
Sorry mate, but you are wrong. If a car is equipped with xenons then part of the MOT test is to check for correctly working headlamp washers. As I said, this is only a requirement in the UK becasue of health and safety lighting laws. I know this becasue I am still involved in the TT scene where a lot of replacement front bumpers are imported from Germany. When they are shipped over the suppliers are required to ask the customer if they have a xenon equipped TT, because if they do they have to have the version with the light washers. e.g THIS
[:)]

·
Registered
310 Posts
Sorry but its not part of the MOT to test for headlight washers or the self adjust I know this as I had a Polo GTI which came with Xenons as standard the car went through 2 MOTs and passed with the headlight washers not working (they jammed up one winter and I never got round to sorting them) . The MOT garage double checked and its not part of the MOT to check the headlight washer system for them either being fitted or working for Xenons. If you go to the VOSA MOT test page on the web you will see there is no check for Xenons to have headlamp washers or self leveling. You are correct in saying headlight washers are required for the car to have them fitted to be legally sold in the UK however the car will pass a MOT no problem. This is the same as tinted windows not being part of the MOT (yet) but illegal to have them over a certain % tint on the front windows.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry but its not part of the MOT to test for headlight washers or the self adjust I know this as I had a Polo GTI which came with Xenons as standard the car went through 2 MOTs and passed with the headlight washers not working (they jammed up one winter and I never got round to sorting them) . The MOT garage double checked and its not part of the MOT to check the headlight washer system for them either being fitted or working for Xenons. If you go to the VOSA MOT test page on the web you will see there is no check for Xenons to have headlamp washers or self leveling. You are correct in saying headlight washers are required for the car to have them fitted to be legally sold in the UK however the car will pass a MOT no problem. This is the same as tinted windows not being part of the MOT (yet) but illegal to have them over a certain % tint on the front windows.
Ok, we'll have to agree to disagree then, but I know that any non OEM equipment (to the cars original specification) is fully checked for roadworthyness, and a car fitted with xenons without headlamp washers, will fail an MOT (obviously dependant on the test centre by the sounds of it!) [:)]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Just about to put an RCD 500 in-dash CD changer up for ?180.00 but just wondered if anyone here would like it before I go the ebay route?

Mods - if this is an innapropriate post here feel free to move it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 - 20 of 141 Posts