Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from my comments on another thread, I have an update.

After checking my "miles to service" indication on the dash clocks, and was shocked to see only 1700 miles remaining, after doing just 7600 from new, i went to my local dealer today.

Autohaus at Northampton - so helpful and friendly - great guys.

Arriving on spec. to find a busy, bustling showroom, the parts guy fetched the chief tech. who happily agreed to pop out and put the portable diagnostics on the car.

He checked the service regime - and it is correctly set to Variable !!

WTF??

Well, he was surprised too - but said he had seen a few PD140's in at less than 10k miles for a service.

He commented that the new mileage max is indeed near 18k...its actually 30'000Km - 18900 miles, give or take.

So, I suggested I might throw some clean oil into it and see what happens - he agreed it'd be a good idea.

So, after buying some SLX2 and a new filter, i returned home and did the lube change.

I'm just going to run it a few journeys tomorrow and see if the service 'clock' has sorted itself......it certainly should do.

Interstingly, the tech. suggested i contact VW customer care.......and give them an ear bending.

I will be doing so on Monday - and see what they say.....i'll keep ya posted.

·
Registered
313 Posts
So why is your 'days to go' showing less than 365 ? I'm not sure new oil will fix that.

What did the techie say when you pointed out the days left?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mine hsd just had its first variable service at 17800, with 100 miles to go, so I guess I am lucky!

Hope yours sorts itself out - the 'clever' 'oil quality' sensor does seem somewhat un-predictable at times!

Al

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My "days to service" said 238, today......he didn't say alot about that.

Whatever happens, i'll get them to intervene.

They sorted it last time when they'd inadvertantly (yeah right!) set my mk4 to a the Passat's regime by *mistake*....duly sorted for nowt.

@Reflex.......

The tech. ran a quick total diagnostics at my request and reported "fuel temp sensor out of range value"....(i had actually removed the *device* yesterday)....i bluffed that one - though he wasn't at all bothered about it.

Additionally, found a headlamp washer fault code - which i knew was a blown fuse (frozen in subzero weather = fuse gone)........

So all together a useful visit after you factor in the VERY healthy discount for the oil and filter, plus my phatbox adapter lead......

Autohaus rock!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Foxy you are lucky look on the thread I started it says SERVICE NOW after 5 Months and only 3,000 miles !!!!

getting it looked about 2 moro[}:)]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi Foxy.

The scenario you describe is exactly the same as mine a couple of months back. I'm not sure Autohaus have done you any favours here!

(A search by my name should point you to the thread where it's all detailed...)

My local dealer hooked my car up to the diagnostics gizmo and concluded the car had been set to a "harsh climate" servicing regime which is about 9500 miles or so, although the vehicle did have the long life oil fitted which is how they all leave the factory anyway.

He punched away a bit on the computer and a couple of minutes later it was showing 9000 miles or so to the next service (this at a mileage of 7800 at the time). Subequently, the car also flashed up the miles to go until service every time I turned the ignition on. No oil and filter change required though...

The car went to a different dealer for its 1st variable service at about 18500 miles. It now doesn't show miles to go each time it's turned on but instead you have to push the trip reset button for a couple of seconds which is what I used to do before. At a mileage of 23000 my car is now saying 12000 odd miles or 576 days to service which is what I would expect.

Also, sometimes when I press the button it says Service Now! in the display but when I do it again the mileage to go as above comes up. It certainly is a bit strange at times...

The techy at my local dealer said that the MkV computer was a bit different to the MkIV (how true that is, I don't know) and that he had been sent on a course to learn all about it. Perhaps all techy's at the dealerships haven't yet been on the necessary course hence the conflicting "advice" we seem to get around the servicing regime?

Just my 2p worth!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Tooks......thanks for the very useful feedback - I will have to get back to the stealer, as after a quick sprint up the road resulted in no resetting of the service interval......i'm still at square one.

Thing is, Iain, I advocate an oil change at around 10'000 miles at any rate, so a bit early is OK by me....if a little OTT in the circumstances.....i'll bone VW Customercare for their 'input' (read: non-commital attitude/advice)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine has covered 8500 miles now and is showing 11000 miles to service but my touran with the same engine has covered 8200 miles and is showing 3000 miles to service! I understand this as the golf is used on the motorway everyday and the touran just around the town!

·
Registered
643 Posts
I've just checked mine - 7550 and it says service now. Mind you I do a lot of mileage (that 7550 has been ranked up in 3 months) as it's a company car. I'll get onto the leasing company and get it booked in with my local friendly Autohaus in Kettering.

**Edit**

Just rang the lease company and it is supposed to be on a variable service interval. Been told to pop it into a dealer to get the service interval reset...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
**UPDATE**

Spoke to VW customer care this morning.

I explained the situation and seemed genuinely interested....

...however, I am no further along with a solution as they knew of no associated "known issues" with servicing.

It is interesting to find that although it says service in 1700, I get no "service countdown" warning when i start the car up, as you might expect to.

My MK4 would count down from 2000 miles.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'd wait a while. My Mk V didn't start warning me until within approx 1700 miles of the service due mileage. I think you'll get your warning soon.

In your original post you mentioned the dealer had said the maximum service interval was nearer 18,000 miles than 30,000 miles. I agree this is probably a typical amount for high-mileage drivers but VW Customer Services as of last week still insisted to me the max remained at 30,000 miles. Let us know if they tell you something different.

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
192 Posts
I will give you an UPDATE on my experience of this[!]. Took it in this morning Service Manager said it had been set on Fixed Servicing and it was now set to variable service regime.[xx(]

I said: "Should that have not been picked up at the PID"[}:)]

SM got a series of unconnected words:[:I] "Factory Computer Service Computer, But it is alright now!".

I got in about to drive off and STILL get SERVICE NOW.

Pointed this out and he said er um never seen this before and I didnt know you could call it up like that, I will phone Volkswagen IF I get the time.

Might just give up and get it serviced at 10,000 miles[:(]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote: posted by radox on 28/02/2005 12:26:01

I'd wait a while. My Mk V didn't start warning me until within approx 1700 miles of the service due mileage. I think you'll get your warning soon.

In your original post you mentioned the dealer had said the maximum service interval was nearer 18,000 miles than 30,000 miles. I agree this is probably a typical amount for high-mileage drivers but VW Customer Services as of last week still insisted to me the max remained at 30,000 miles. Let us know if they tell you something different.

Stuart

http://www.radox.freeserve.co.uk/vwgolfmk5.htm

VWCC told me same as dealer tech did - it's now 18900 miles (30k Km)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Quote: posted by Foxy on 28/02/2005 11:18:56

It is interesting to find that although it says service in 1700, I get no "service countdown" warning when i start the car up, as you might expect to.

My MK4 would count down from 2000 miles.

Well my old blue MK V was due a service when i handed her back..

I only got a countdown from 1k miles,

Mine needed servicing at approx 10050 Miles.. but it was been hammered lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nobody seems that interested in my input into this but[:D]

Spoke to VW customer care myself and they flatly refused to talk about technical issues with a member of the public I have to go through my retailer.[:(!]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Quote: posted by CostalTDi on 28/02/2005 14:05:29

Nobody seems that interested in my input into this but[:D]

Spoke to VW customer care myself and they flatly refused to talk about technical issues with a member of the public I have to go through my retailer.[:(!]

Thats sucks!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Here's a reply specially for CoastalTDi because it sounded like he was feeling a bit left out before ;-)

1. It definately sounds to me like there might be something wrong with your MFD or whatever it is which calculates when a service is required. I've never heard of a MkV which says Service Now one minute and then gives a miles-to-go figure the next.

2. From what you've said, it does sound like your car was originally set to fixed interval servicing in error but it now looks like its been correctly switched to variable intervals.

3. My experience of VW Customer Services is that you are not talking to technical people but rather people who just have all the VW official literature in front of them. I don't think its a matter of them not wanting to give you technical info but rather, they can't. You're best bet (in my opinion) is trying to find a technician at a dealer who talks sense and appears to know what they are doing. I get the impression that there are a lot of people at dealers who are assuming the MkV isn't much different from the MkIV.

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
192 Posts
UPDATE it is not saying Service Now anymore[:D]

BUT

[:(]

Service Due in _ _ _ _ miles

or _ _ _ Days

Basically all I get is Blank dashes I wonder has all their monkeying hung it.

The Service Manger says that all is OK and it will show a countdown with 1000 miles to go. From what it is doing above I am not so sure[}:)]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I;m disconnecting my battery tomorrow......may not do any good but i'll feel alot better!!! LOL

1 - 20 of 36 Posts