Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been for a test drive in a CTR and to be honest I didn't like it at all. On the motorway it was just like any other car with the added hassle of needing to change gear to increase speed and on the A roads, well the Cooper S stuck to the road better.

So have decided (currently driving a MK4 1.6SE) that it is time to move on to a GTI. A number of questions for you guys please:

1) How long is the waiting list if I order the GTI with the following specs:

Golf GTi DSG

3 doors

Shadow Blue

18" Monzas

Bi-Xenons

Winter Pack

Electronically FOlding and Dimming mirrors

2) What sort of price can I expect:

Official price: ?23,305

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It seems from reading the other posts I could be waiting up to 4 months. Better get ordering then!

·
Registered
703 Posts
dont get DSG either.... its still having teething issues i think. Also the DSG paddles only come with the optional MFsteering... so thats more expense.

Also get the centre armrest and put an ipod in it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah like the iPOD idea.

I am sure in 4 months they will have sorted out the DSG problems. And yeah the paddles might cost more but might as well get them, they will make the car awesome!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Read the GTI DSG review in Evo this month, there are some interesting points about the gearbox. Its review is almost entirely focussed on the gearbox so it is a good starting point if you are thinking about the GTI. You are unlikely to wait LESS than 3 months but ordered ASAP, you should get it about June/July.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Quote: posted by Medic on 19/02/2005 16:55:17

Yeah like the iPOD idea.

I am sure in 4 months they will have sorted out the DSG problems. And yeah the paddles might cost more but might as well get them, they will make the car awesome!

Have a look on the TT forum about DSG issues they have had them for over 12 months and there still seems to be issues with it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep just had a look at the TT forums. That does sound pretty bad. However, could it be the more powerful engines causing the problems on the Audis?

Ill get a copy of EVO tomorrow to check out the review in it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well having thought about it here is an alternative spec to the DSG I might be interested in:

1) How long is the waiting list if I order the GTI with the following specs:

Golf GTi

3 doors

Shadow Blue

Anthracite Leather

18" Monzas

Bi-Xenons

Winter Pack

Electronically FOlding and Dimming mirrors

Centre Armrest

+??Highline Computer

2) What sort of price can I expect:

Official price: ?23,640

Anyone know what the different sound packs on offer are?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not sure about discounts but I would still expect about 4 months. You could try the various brokers but last time i checked they had severely reduced their discounts. I think that some of these brokers are being given a lower priority and people are having to wait a long time. This is strange as most put you in touch directly with a VW dealer and I would have expected them to be fair (or maybe not). Still worth a search round. Good luck and nice spec btw. I didnt go for winter pack as I went for xenons and leather. xenons give the headlight washers and leather has the heated front seats. Only real benefit is low washer fluid level (great!) and heated jets. I would also DEFINITELY recommend the highline comp as it allows you to fiddle about with a few settings e.g. lighting, locking etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Didn't see the highline comp as an option on the UK spec list at the VW site...it just says midline on the brochure, but no option for highline, how much does it usually cost?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, now that I have managed to print off a options list off the VW website lets start again:

Golf GTi

3 doors

Shadow Blue - ?335

Anthracite Leather - ?1,645

18" Monzas - ?445

Bi-Xenons - ?725

Winter Pack - ?200

Luxury Pack 2 - ?180

Centre Armrest - ?115

Highline Computer - ?45

Total Price: ?23,685

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think you need a test drive in Gti with DSG before you make your mind up.

I have been out three times so far, once for an hour by myself and I must say I would sacrifice all other extras to go for this one.

Jason Plato on the Fifth Gear test drive said that the ?1300 was buttons compared with what it does to the car and I have to agree.

I did read the EVO review and I think they were comapring it to a Ferrari F1 gearbox, slight difference there.

But at the end of the day it is what you think yourself and I must say I thought it was awesome [:D]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would definitely love to go for the DSG but I don't want to buy something which could cause problems later on - which seems to be what is happening to the Audis (from what I read on TT forums). I am sure it works great when it works, but the question is of reliability..I still have a week or two to decide.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
One other thing worth noting is go as mad as you like with extras but the only things you will get something back from in that list is the leather and arm rest.

·
Registered
703 Posts
he'll hold onto the car for a long time no doubt and get enough miles on... he is a dr after all travelling to all those far away hospitals.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote: posted by hmi1750 on 20/02/2005 16:54:15

he'll hold onto the car for a long time no doubt and get enough miles on... he is a dr after all travelling to all those far away hospitals.

Yep hope to keep the car for about 5 years hopefully....then move on to a different type of car with a 5 in it - the M5 (YEAH!!!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts