Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been up to my local dealer for a test drive of the new GTI.

Overall I'm impressed, its a good car and handles very well. Same level of ride as the R32 with a confidence inspiring suspension setup you would come to expect from a GTI badged VW (shame they've taken so long to get it right eh..) Put it through a few quick turns and its, taking each direction change with ease with not hint of loss of traction, even on damp roads. I did notice a touch of wheel hop however when pulling away from a junction a bit too quickly, but ESP soon saw to that without loosing too much power so as to interfere with the quick getaway.

Power delivery is sharp and quick with very, very little lag - caught me out when I planted the load pedal for the first time as I expected things to happen a bit later. It also pulls to the limiter with the same ferocity from low down, as it does at the top of the range - which is ideal for speedy overtaking if the situation arose. Similarly, chuck her in top gear and it will still pull with a noticeable slug of torque that pins you back. One thing that struck me is how comparable the power delivery is, especially low down, to the TDI engines - with one exception being that it pulls and pulls and pulls in to regions that TDI's can't quite reach [;)]

But... And this is where I have to disagree with some of the other comments made by others - its not worth 20k, the whole range should be lower priced. For the money you're paying, to me at least, it just doesn't seem value for money. I'm not going to digress into a debate about whats available for similar wonga but I'm sure you will get better, certainly specification level anyway.

Maybe in a years time I could pick one up but for the same money I would probably just hold on for the TDI 4motion, which, incidentally, has just been released in the A3 range so I'll be heading over to Audi for a drive of one soon to assess its potential.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
It surprises me how the front wheels can handle peak torque at 1800rpm, seems very low.

My local dealers have a 4 door GTI in which isnt available for test drive until the middle of next month.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My local stealer Vindis in Sawston, has a 5 door red demo car, with leather, will be test driving next week.

Maybe time to buy myself a company car? any idea what the co emmisions like for tax?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Tabs, as an everyday car would you IYO say that the R32 is better?. We are going to test drive the GTi on Monday for the GF but she likes R32's aswellonly thing is that the insurance is proving an issue as she is 21 and only been driving for 18 months. We have seen a Midnight Blue 53 plate with 5000 miles for the same price as the new Gti with a few options but neither of us have driven one - which one would you chose?

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having owned the R32 I would say the R' seemed a better package, especially when were talking about that kind of money. Of course the cost of ownership with the R' will be more, and thats something I'd try and factor in to the decision.

Don't get me wrong I like the GTI, it gave me a great buzz driving it but its just not a 20k car. I've just remembered audi are doing a 2.0T FSI Quattro for the same money so I know which one I'd go for!

Try both and see what you think [:)]

·
Registered
366 Posts
Is it the sort of car that you can leave on the street and it does'nt look to flashy as thats where it will spend most of its time til she finishes Uni?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
They do look a bit special IMO next to a normal MKV so I think it stands out more than a MKIV but still not as much as to say - rob me.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Quote: posted by Tabs on 18/12/2004 18:39:41

Hmm tough one to say.... Time will tell on that one mate. I know the R is a desirable car (learnt that lesson already [:(]) and its not something I would leave lying around.

What happened with your R?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Jeeeez............right the missus isn't getting one.

Similar thing happened 2 days after I got the TT where I was followed home but I managed to out drive them, think I posted it on here last year, put me off having a nice car for a little while but then I just decided that you have to live your life how you want. I suppose the same could happen with the new Gti.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Today we went out and test drove the Gti, an A3 TDI DSG Sline and Mini Cooper S.

1st off I am unsure about the new Gti it looks to plain (especially as it was next to an R32) and needs lowering. The interior was a big let down and just remonded me of a mini MPV with the high roof, tall seating position and the dash which just looks cheap apart from the dials which truely are one of the best I have seen, the one saving grace was that there was not a rattle to be heard. The engine really was good with as Tab mentioned lots of torque and the one we drove felt like it was reving really freely after only having 65 miles under her belt. The handling was excellent too with good feedback through the cool stering wheel. From the moment I sat in it and drove away it reminded me of a Civic Type R but with more low down grunt and a less fidgety ride the seating pole are pretty much the same and performance wise there is'nt much in it yet the Golf commands a ?20k price tag and once a few choice extras have been added in there is a lot of difference. I suppose it comes down to peoples perception of quality but Honda is proven to have better customer service and better reliability yet there product costs a hell of a lot less.

The A3 Sline was in a different ball park when it comes to interior quality and the Tdi is another great engine with more than enough real world power. For the same money as the Gti I would personnaly choose this + I think as a brand you seem to get a far better service from the dealers.

She bought a Cooper S!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I agree also, still not 100% certain about the mkV golf interior... I expect a little more for my money - I'm sure it is well built and of decent quality materials but it doesn't look like it's the interior for a 20K plus car.

One of the reasons I went for a new A3 - lovely interior and better residuals (possibley, time will tell)

J.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Quote: posted by Tabs on 21/12/2004 13:08:25

So you didn't take a look at the R32 at all then Mags? Agree with what you say about the pricing its just not the kind of car that demands a 20k + price tag.

We test drove a 32 that they had there which was up for ?23k it was in a right state and stank of smoke. I was not that impressed with the car in the 1st place which kind of put us off as the interior just feels like a big let down. The engine is awesome - reminds me of the 350Z I nearly bought and I liked the feel of 4 wheel drive which is something I have missed with the cab but utimately it is a car for the missus and on all fronts the Mini is the best option it is just hard to beat the package it offers when you take into acct the initial cost, depreciation, service package, fun factor and it looks better than the MK5 but not the 32 + it comes down to insurance and a 21year old student with no no claims and leaving it parked on the street can add up to a hefty amount.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote: posted by ianhg on 02/01/2005 16:11:44

imo not worth 20k either, you can pick a scubi for that

A second hand one maybe!

Why do people always compare a new car price to a second hand one. At launch the MK4 1.8T was ?18500 grand and no one complained about the price, you now all drive round in them! The MK5 is a billion times better in all respects. Include 6 years of inflation and the MK5 works out comparible in price and therefore value for money.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Quote: posted by rob.gti on 03/01/2005 06:42:31

Quote: posted by ianhg on 02/01/2005 16:11:44

imo not worth 20k either, you can pick a scubi for that

A second hand one maybe!

Why do people always compare a new car price to a second hand one. At launch the MK4 1.8T was ?18500 grand and no one complained about the price, you now all drive round in them! The MK5 is a billion times better in all respects. Include 6 years of inflation and the MK5 works out comparible in price and therefore value for money.

]

sorry[:(]

·
Registered
703 Posts
well, the main issue is that the mk4 was expensive to start with, but so were all cars. Then the prices dropped to align them better with EU, though only mazda really dropped the price by huge amounts... The golf is still a good car, and if i had 20k to spend then wouldn't get a GTI (thats as much as the bora cost with all the options! - so the equivalent GTi will be ?25k+... for which i would prefer to spend a few grand more and get a well specced new Audi, or beemer (they do seem to ride better).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts