Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, after weeks of deliberation I've booked the GTI in on Friday for an Oettinger remap to 235bhp.  Should hopefully be a fun drive home !

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi Guys, after weeks of deliberation I've booked the GTI in on Friday for an Oettinger remap to 235bhp. Should hopefully be a fun drive home !
let us know how it is, i did hear about the oettenger conversion being approved by VW, do you know any more than that ?, why did you go with them as they offer less power than AMD for example

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went with the Oettinger chip basically because it is approved by VW. Had a long chat with RSD about the VW warranty and if anything goes wrong then I can take it to any VW dealer for repairs. Any damage caused to the engine by the chip is taken care of via an arrangement between VW UK and RSD.

235bhp vs 250bhp really wasn't a big deal to me. I will probably find it easier to put the 235bhp down than the 250bhp on the roads round here. Also, the new Leon Cupra R will run 240bhp so I felt quite comfortable about the reliability of running the engine at 235bhp.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Yeah - Danny and Trish at RSD are great.........

They are about 3 or 4 miles from my house, so if i'm around on Friday, i'll try and pop over and see how it's going.

I'd rather have Oettinger or Superchips over ANY other.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would be great to see you Foxy.  I'll be there from about 2pm.  Danny says it will take about 3hrs to do the upgrade.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Hi Guys, after weeks of deliberation I've booked the GTI in on Friday for an Oettinger remap to 235bhp. Should hopefully be a fun drive home !
let us know how it is, i did hear about the oettenger conversion being approved by VW, do you know any more than that ?, why did you go with them as they offer less power than AMD for example
If an Oettinger and an AmD GTI were dynoed back to back on the same dyno I think the differential would be less than 15bhp. Oettinger don't offer less than AmD they just make a different claim in their blurb.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I went with the Oettinger chip basically because it is approved by VW. Had a long chat with RSD about the VW warranty and if anything goes wrong then I can take it to any VW dealer for repairs. Any damage caused to the engine by the chip is taken care of via an arrangement between VW UK and RSD.

235bhp vs 250bhp really wasn't a big deal to me. I will probably find it easier to put the 235bhp down than the 250bhp on the roads round here. Also, the new Leon Cupra R will run 240bhp so I felt quite comfortable about the reliability of running the engine at 235bhp.
Do you have any info about this approval from VW uk, have you actually spoken to someone at VW about this ?, if that is really the case them i am going with them also, i have a dsg car so would like to keep things in warranty. Where abouts are RSD ? and how much is it costing you ?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes there is plenty of info in the Group Buy thread[:)]

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/181755/ShowPost.aspx

RSD are forum sponsors and have their own part of the forum here;

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/76/ShowForum.aspx
I spoke to RSD and they are now covering DSG GTI's, the conversion is not really approved as such, however acording to RSD VW are aware of their work and if you told you local dealer you have the conversion they will not kick up a fuss about it. All sounds great to me, has anyone spoken to VW about this conversion ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, here's the extract lifted from an RSD email I received:

The cost for the conversion is ?695.00 + the VAT and as an approved supplier to Volkswagen Group (UK) Ltd (Supplier No. U762) we have to match the manufacturers warranty. A copy of the conversions that we do/done are kept at MK at their legal department. Failure for us to comply with our contractual agreement with Volkswagen Group (UK) Ltd would mean suspension of our contract for 9 months! (very costly for our work that we do with them).

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>I'm almost positive that because the Oettinger conversion is TuV approved, the 235bhp they quote is the minimum power gain you will see.</o:p>

·
Registered
251 Posts
ok, here's the extract lifted from an RSD email I received:

The cost for the conversion is ?695.00 + the VAT and as an approved supplier to Volkswagen Group (UK) Ltd (Supplier No. U762) we have to match the manufacturers warranty. A copy of the conversions that we do/done are kept at MK at their legal department. Failure for us to comply with our contractual agreement with Volkswagen Group (UK) Ltd would mean suspension of our contract for 9 months! (very costly for our work that we do with them).

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>I'm almost positive that because the Oettinger conversion is TuV approved, the 235bhp they quote is the minimum power gain you will see.</o:p>
it all sounds really good to me, you will have to let us know what you think of the conversion. Have you actually spoken to VW customer service about it ?, it would be interesting to see what they say

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
VW Customer service I didn't know they had such a thing why has no one told me this [:D]

Since when have they been clued up on anything jeez [:p]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ECU upgrade now complete. Drives like a dream, lots of low-down torque with plenty of power across the rev range. 235bhp is perfectly matched to the tyre grip, although I suspect it could handle a little bit more.

Had a bit of fun with a 350Z on the way home. Suprised to find the Golf was a perfect match to the Nissan, couldn't shake me - although I couldn't pass him. Not bad for a car costing ?10k less and having 5 seats.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Glad it went to plan mate.......sorry I couln't get over - was caught up at the office all day again.

Danny and Trish are great though, aren't they!?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, Danny, Trish and the rest of RSD were great. They really know their stuff !

They're also going to enquire about the other Oettinger bits i.e. mats, pedals etc for the Mk5 for me.

Turns out my car was the 2nd in the UK for the Oettinger chip, the other belongs to a member of a once-popular rock band !!

For info on the chip for anyone else considering it, Oettinger run each of the chips on a car for 50,000km to gain TuV Group 5 approval. This approval means its gains official homologation status and hence that is why VW will continue the official warranty. However, Danny assures me that no dealer is going is going to check the ECU and would not be able to read a hexi-decimal program.

One last point, this is not a straight forward chip swop. The actual engine management program is uploaded to Oettinger Germany where the re-map is configured specifically for that particular engine and then sent back. In all there are 16 new maps put back into the ECU.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Very interest in this! Is the difference that noticable? How much did it increase your insurance?

I'm still blown away by the speed of mine sometimes, it's great! Still the novelty might wear off or I get trounced by a car a some point!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Glad you are happy,but 800 quid odd for 37hp........???

These remaps on the more modern cars appear to be far worse value bang per buck compared to the traditional turbo cars, cossies, rs turbos and of course the 1.8T.

Sign of the times I suppose

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
...but how many of the chipped up cossies, etc went bang ? I also think that the modern chip has to meet far more regulations that the good old days, i.e. emissions, fuel purity.

As for the ?800, well it depends on how you look at it, I saw it from the point of view that it was +35bhp and + 3year VW warranty. Sure, you can go else where and get +50bhp or even more, but it is likely your VW warranty will be cancelled as a result. Suppose you could buy a 3rd party warranty with your savings from not spending ?800.

In my humble opinion there is no short cut to reliable power increases. Why go for a ?300 chip claiming big power gains at the risk of blowing the engine in a ?20k car ?

As for insurance, I'm right in the middle of swapping so more than likely I will go the Greenlight route and have them sort out the best quote taking into account the chip.

But, being 'devils advocate' do you need to tell your insurance company ? I can understand if your car visually looks like its been modified, but engine management software ? I'm not so sure. What insurance company do anyone know that driven a crashed car to see if they think its quicker than standard ? how do they know how quick a standard GTI is and odds on, if you have stuffed a GTI its not going to be driven anywhere.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
But, being 'devils advocate' do you need to tell your insurance company ? I can understand if your car visually looks like its been modified, but engine management software ? I'm not so sure. What insurance company do anyone know that driven a crashed car to see if they think its quicker than standard ? how do they know how quick a standard GTI is and odds on, if you have stuffed a GTI its not going to be driven anywhere.
A simple check on the ECU will tell them you have software there that shouldnt be there.
Its just not worth it especially as you have justified a mere 35bhp @ ?800 is good value when you take into account that its a ?20K car and your warranty stays intact.
Now imagine you take the insurance short cut route to save ?100 or so and then find its void and you have a ?20K lump of worthless metal.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts