Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have been almost succumbed to the forbidden temptation that is the new GTI. I was just wondering what everyone considers to be essential options for it (ok, essential is a bad choice of word but you get the idea).

I was thinking about 18's for def, winter pack with heated seats etc, electric mirrors, parking sensors and side airbags.

Not sure about the sound system, armrests, cruise control etc etc

Also DSG sounds great but not sure about the paddles etc.

Any thoughts would be cool

·
Registered
226 Posts
IMO the only options worth having are: 18" alloys, 6 disc changer and I would go for the DSG.

Other than that, the rest are unnecessary.

BTW "Side Air bags" are part of the standard kit in any MK5

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah definitely. I dont want to be thinking in a few months time when ive got money burning a hole in my pocket "I wish id got a disc changer"

BTW anyone know if the disc changer is standard or supports MP3

And i meant rear passenger side airbags (they seem to be listed as an option)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Quote: posted by Uzi9 on 26/12/2004 00:51:37

And i meant rear passenger side airbags (they seem to be listed as an option)

how much is life worth? if i worked in vw and was a family man i would have made this standard!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know ianhg, its despicable. they charge about ?200 for them. the price difference to them must just be a few quid. i feel that the 500 extra you pay for the 5door should be slightly higher and include the rear side airbags (say 550-600). My options list is getting bigger...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Personally I would have them in this order: Xenons, Arm Rest and Changer, 18's (the reason this isnt first is that these can be bought after purchase if funds dont allow) and then DSG (the reason this isnt higher is that there have been some doubts raised as to how the gearbox will handle higher than OEM torgue if you chip the car. If you dont intend to chip it then you should be ok).

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Also, apparently the leather looks really poor quality. Therefore I would either go with the standard seats or wait until the recaros become available and then see what the situation is. The reason i also left off the sat nav was that this can be bought much cheaper after purchase.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agree about the wheels and the satnav. Not sure about xenons. Seem a little expensive. You guys feel they are worth it? Is it purely about looks or do they make a big difference when driving etc?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think 18s are the only essential option. After that, for me, I needed folding mirrors (narrow garage) and a sunroof for nice fresh air in the summer. The more options you add, the more you'll lose in depreciation - you never get their value back!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote: posted by TurboTrev on 26/12/2004 14:56:20

I think 18s are the only essential option. After that, for me, I needed folding mirrors (narrow garage) and a sunroof for nice fresh air in the summer. The more options you add, the more you'll lose in depreciation - you never get their value back!

An alternative view?.....simply choose the options that will enhance YOUR ownership experience, then maybe consider (a little) what enhances the resale value of the car depending on the time you intend to keep the car. For example keeping the car for 12-18 months then the demand for the GTi will still be considerable and will mitigate for a low spec car, however if keeping the car for say 2-3 years then the spec becomes more important. As a rule forget about getting your money back on options vs depreciation simply because its an unrealistic expectation, they just enhance the attractiveness of the car at resale time, hence you could argue more options increase the likelihood of a sale at resale time.[;)]

And finally there are options that will add value to your car i.e. mitigate positively for depreciation such as larger alloy wheels (common) depending on the emerging spec profile of the Gti's. If for example 80% of all GTi's s elect larger alloys then in the secondhand market those cars without this profile will attract a lesser price. The contrary is also true (eg: garish colours)

It really is a personal choice and revel in the fact you can make those choices.[;)]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The only extra that you can add a couple of extra quid to the price when selling are leather and maybe climate.

Xenons are really up to the individual, I could live without them but I'd prefer not to. They do improve the light for you in all aspects of night driving whether that's rural or city. They do also look cool but that's not the point of them.

I think parking sensors are a waste of time in a car the size of a Golf.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I think all it needs is the centre armrest and cruise control if you do a lot of miles.

DSG is great if you want it but it will still be a great car without.

A lot of the options will be money down the drain if you are looking at decent re-sale. The car already has a lot of "essential" things included.

Pick a good colour as well, this is probably even more important on the GTI. Something like black, silver or red will be best for re-sale.

To JMqueen who said the leather was poor looking, I think I've only seen one person who said this, loads of others said it looked good. Including it will certainly make for a desirable car but you are unlikely to get your money back on it.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Just on the leather, I've been told by a stealer that over two years from new you can expect 40-50% back on what you paid for the leather.

I have heated leather on mine and sod whatever it costs/what you will get back, it's bloody gorgeous on a cold day/night/morning.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn you, damn you all to hell [V].

My options list is expanding all the time and there are some options i havent even considered yet. This is painful. My current car is worth about 4500 and i can easily add options to the GTI that amount to more than that. At the end of the day my current car is a nice drive (ok, its a 1.4 but it is a lot better than a lot of non-dubs)

I resent paying ?450 for 18s actually. Its fine if i get to keep the 17s as well but they are actually costing a lot more than ?450. Ive seen the cloth interior and its much better in the flesh but Im still really tempted by leather. Other than leather, xenons are my only other real 50-50. I really want them but 750 seems steep.

I did feel better when i went to the audi site and configured an a3 - Man, Audi are a complete ripoff for extras! I could quite easily double the cost of the car (well, almost) without even going that crazy.

I hope I can get a good discount after the new year when no-one is buying cars.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i have ordered my car and got a bit carried away with the ticking of boxes, leather, 18's and DSG were a must for me, one of the reasons i wanted the car was for DSG, i went for folding mirrors, not much cost and winter pack, high line computer, not that the dealer had any idea what it was but only ?45, turns out you can change the obc readouts from metric to imperial !, sounds like a waste of ?45 now. i also went for arm rest which is a nice addition with DSG, the only real thing i didn't go for was satnav, i have a system in my stereo that is better. The only thing i think people will want when they by second hand will be leather and maybe the wheels, not sure i would risk not getting leather, does anyone know if the dsg will have paddles, the press cars did but the dealer says not ?. I have had a few bmw's before and have regreted not ticking more options after i had taken delivery, so this time i got everything i thought i would want, appart from highline obc [:D]

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As far as i know, i think you have to tick the ?515 multifunction steering wheel option to get the paddles for DSG (if you want them - i do) and cruise control as well. Although it isnt really that obvious. Doc, did you get any discount at all?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Xenons are a waste of money IMO. I didnt like them on the R32!

Satnav is also a huge Con. Buy a map for 5.99 from the local garage, and use www.streetmap.co.uk or www.multimap.co.uk at home on the PC [;)]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts