Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone else looking at a remap of their PD140:

1) Revo have the ability to flash the ECU but are waiting to sort the ability to do it up the serial port with the ECU in-situ. Expected to be available at end of 1st 1/4 of 2005.

2) Superchips offer the remap but need to remove the ECU and direct flash the EPROM. No hardware changes. Money back if not happy (less the labour cost) & will restore original map too.

......so far, Superchips are fave (not much competition yet!)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
so both REVO & Superchips need to remove the ECU to flash it. This has no affect on the outcome, it just takes longer than using the serial port.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Has anyone any tried a tuning boxes? I fancy the idea of being able to remove it. Does it show on the vw diagnostic computer that somthing had been fitted.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Quote: posted by JMcQueen on 23/11/2004 16:05:41

Any ideas on what figures Revo are looking at?

I asked Revo a while back, they told me they have a chip in developement, but they aren't going to release figures until closer to release.

I think I'll wait 6 months or so. The tuning companies will have more to offer then as it'll be the start of the busy summer shows period.

In the meantime... Quaife differential, Brembo brakes, Milltek exhaust... [:D]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Superchips in Dublin told me they can do the 2.0 TDI through the serial port?

Wouldn't go down the tuning box route, lumpy idle, all over the place torque curve, a chip is prob ?200 more but well worth it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Foxy - didn't you used to have a box fitted to the MKIV? You were pretty pleased with the results of that I thought?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've been waiting for the REVO code for a while now, decided on a tuning box around 2 months ago now while waiting....

Overall, a definite improvement. Obviously a little more smokey but the car revs more freely and feels more like my old anni PD150. Personally I?m a little disappointed with REVO and APR, they both seem to be dragging their heels on this remap, especially when superchips, oettinger and MTM all have upgrades available. I will concede that these are hard programs or replacement chips and that the newer ecu's have a better encryption which may be causing some issues, but come on guys the 2.0 unit has been around over a year now?

Let?s just hope there worth the wait?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tuning box was initial thought but I have decided (i think) that for the duration of ownership i'd go for the remap.

Superchips will put the original map back if requested, and leave no trace........

Revo can't do that apparently......though i stand to be corrected.

@Irish.....i spoke to Superchips HQ today and it's an unoquivocal answer - they HAVE to take the ECU out (but not open it) to re-program it.

@MOB.....AMD? whodat?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Quote: posted by jasew on 23/11/2004 20:39:49

I've been waiting for the REVO code for a while now, decided on a tuning box around 2 months ago now while waiting....

Overall, a definite improvement. Obviously a little more smokey but the car revs more freely and feels more like my old anni PD150. Personally I?m a little disappointed with REVO and APR, they both seem to be dragging their heels on this remap, especially when superchips, oettinger and MTM all have upgrades available. I will concede that these are hard programs or replacement chips and that the newer ecu's have a better encryption which may be causing some issues, but come on guys the 2.0 unit has been around over a year now?

Let?s just hope there worth the wait?

Do APR do diesels? Didn't think they did.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
We've got the APR code for the 1.9TDI's and are currently testing it, the 2.0 TDI code is imminent from APR, but for the time being we are using Dualsystem.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Ade, Am I reading the Dual system correctly. Do you send the box out to customers to install the software themselves, and is the software completely reversible? ie. No trace for dealer etc. once reversed? I would assume that the uprated software can only be used by one car at a time, but is the box transferrable to another car? If it can, it's much better value than the usual porting upgrade. Your website shows units for the PD engines, but not for the new 2.0 diesel. Have you got any figures for that one?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AFAIK, nobody has marketed their systems which flash via the OBD port YET.....

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi,

The dualsystem one (not yet avail for public as yet) - we send it out to customers - they load their original map to the unit - customer posts unit back to us - we upload one to the unit specific to their vehicle and post the unit back.

Again untraceable once reversed back to regular map, can only be used in the specific car it was coded for.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Quote: posted by awesomeade on 24/11/2004 13:45:34

Hi,

The dualsystem one (not yet avail for public as yet) - we send it out to customers - they load their original map to the unit - customer posts unit back to us - we upload one to the unit specific to their vehicle and post the unit back.

Again untraceable once reversed back to regular map, can only be used in the specific car it was coded for.

Sound like the AmD OneClick system that Ianhg had on his car.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, it's a proprietary third-part piece of hardware that some tuning companies buy-in.......

.....AmD?? Naah, still dunno whodat!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts