Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a bit of free time this evening so thought I'd fit the Dension kit.

Here's a step by step guide to installing it.

The parts you'll need:

iPod

Dension Ice>Link Plus VW Kit

Brodit Proclip

Posted Image

Here's what you get with the Dension kit...

Posted Image

The tools you'll need:

Torx bits

Screwdriver

Small flathead screwdriver for prying

You need access to the rear panel of your headunit to fit the kit, so to start take a look at the upper centre air vent (the big one.) You'll notice a small black rectangle sensor; this can be pryed off. Remember that although a lot of these parts may seem stiff they are actually quite fragile, so be careful when prying.

Posted Image

Once you've done this you are free to pry the rest of the vent away.

Posted Image

Now if you look towards the back (closer to the windscreen) of the exposed compartment you'll notice a screw. Use the appropriate torx bit to remove it, then remove the remainder of the vent housing.

Posted Image

You'll now notice two more screws. These hold down the upper dash cover. Unscrew these (always remember to stow the screws somewhere safe, as these things always go missing in cars - too many nooks and crannies)

Posted Image

Now you can remove the upper dash cover. Use the flat head screw driver to unclip the back three holdings, then you can pull the cover off.

Posted Image

Once you've removed the upper dash cover you'll see two more screws. These hold the lower dash cover in place, remove these as well.

Posted Image

Gently pull the lower dash cover, applying equal ammounts of preasure to both sides. The metal clips on the reverse are poorly stuck on so they can actually come off, while staying clipped to their holding mounts (great VW quality! nothing a bit of superglue can't fix [;)])

Posted Image

You'll notice at the bottom under the AC controls four metal rectangles - these are the holding clips that actually stayed in place instead of coming off with the dash cover! Oh well [:p]

Remove the four screws that hold the head unit in place, so that you can bring the HU forward.

Posted Image

I decided to run the cable down from the headunit and exit it into the cabin by the passenger footwell. To do this I needed to remove the gearstick cover (pops out quite easily). You'll then see two silver screws holding the ashtray compartment in place; if you remove these you can pull the compartment out. You may need to unplug the cable for the cig lighter underneath, so you can get enough clearance.

http://www.gttdi.com/guides/dension/9.jpg

Next I fed the cable through a gap from the footwell to the inner dash.

http://www.gttdi.com/guides/dension/10.jpg

I then fed the cable up to the top of the dash so that I could connect the dension kit to the back of the headunit. Remember to attach the grounding wire otherwise the unit wont work.

http://www.gttdi.com/guides/dension/11.jpg

After testing the unit I put the dash back together. I screwed the Dension cradle to the Brodit Proclip, which simple clips into place next to the stereo.

http://www.gttdi.com/guides/dension/12.jpg

The results? [;)] A great sounding setup [:D]

You can control the iPod from the headunit, including mapping playlists to the CD1-6 buttons. The visuals on the iPod screen change to a unique Dension setup to display options and track info.

As soon as you switch to CD changer mode the unit powers up.

Installation requires about 30-35 minutes.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote: posted by mags on 06/02/2005 09:10:48

Kuni, does this set up mean that I cannot use the 6cd changer I have in the armrest?

Unfortunately yes [:(]

Although saying that, I'm sure I saw a changer control box recently, where a user could have two CD changers plugged into this little box of tricks, and one lead going to the HU, then all you'd have to do is mount a switch somewhere. (IE, use one of the blanks next to the disable traction control button [:D])

·
Registered
40 Posts
I haven't taken delivery of my Golf yet, so do you know if you can run the wires from behind the headunit into the glovebox without cutting anything? I'm guessing you can still use the unit without having to touch the iPod?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Many thanks for posting these instructions ! Saved me bags of time.

Have just fitted ipod using dension dock cable into glovebox connected to an RCD500 with soundpack - sounds ace and can still use the integrated cd changer.

The cable fits through a gap at the top of the glovebox - no dismantling of glovebox required.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow great guide!

So just to clarify.. I am getting a Golf GTI Mk V in Australia in September. It should have the Gamma head unit. So it sounds like I can plug my ipod in to it, and still have the option of using the front loading CD changer?

Is there anything special you have to do to be able to do that? Or does the headunit just cycle through Radio -> CD Changer -> External CD Changer (ipod)?

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just out of interest, which Brodit Proclip did you use that fits so neatly next to stereo? I want one to put my mobile in.

Cheers, Stuart

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I fitted mine on Friday (took 35 mins). The guide was very useful.

I wanted to make sure that the iPod was not on display, or the holder as I think it ruins the look of the dash, plus is very tempting to thieves. I also wanted to make sue that I used the docking station rather than just a loose cable.

So this is what I did.........(sorry about the terrible photos, I was in a rush and it was dark)

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see it is in the shelf on the dash. The docking station is a tight fit, so it just jams in. In the future I may use some sticky pads to really hold it in place if it ever moves. The only drawback is you cannot see the screen, but I don't think I will miss that.

My other option was to put it in here.....

Posted Image

If I am not happy with it in the glove box, I may move it into the cubby and build a proper surround inside to hold the docking station.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Many thanks for posting this guide. I am waiting the delivery of a MK5 GTI sometime in September!!! I am sourcing the components for installing my 60gb Photo ipod and was just wondering where you purchased your adapter and bracket from? The bracket in particular is a minimal design which was the type I want - I dont want anything too large sticking out of the dash!

Cheers

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi guys

Great writeup. I have just bought an 04 Golf MkV 1.9TDi SE. I am going to install a Nokia Cark-91 phone kit at the weekend. The people who I bought the mute lead from said to be careful when taking off the housing with the heat/blower vents in because if you disconnect the "passenger off airbag warning light" cable, this airbag warning light will stay on and you have to go to the dealers to get it turned off. From your write up it seems that you didnt have this problem. Can anyone shed any light on this? Also is there room behaind, or down the side of the stereo unit to hide the 'connection box' for the phone kit. Sorry for so many questions, bur I've always had BMW's and so know how they come apart, I'm new to VW.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I did not unclip the cable, I just moved the vent out the way whilst still plugged in.  There is plenty of room behind the stereo for your connection box, in fact you could put quite a bit of kit in there if required.

·
Registered
30 Posts
After considerable effort i managed to get the radio out and install the dension ice-link into my golf. I then drove to the pub with effering working fine. I was well chuffed.

When i got back into the car I turned the radio on and s elected the CD changer. Nothing. The ice-link isn't working. The only theory i have at the moment (and i welcome others) is that the grounding wire has come loose. How did you guys attach it?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Just started this, and I've found an important difference with my car, which doesn't have climatronic. These cars don't have the sensor, or the large top vent, but a dash top tray instead. I set off thinking the tray would be held in by clips along the back. Well, it is, just one at each end, but there are also two T20 screws under a rubber mat in the bottom of the tray. I found these just before I started to get brutal. Could have done a lot of damage! Stuck now, as I need a shorter T20 screwdriver, but it looks like the rest will be the same as KuniD's, except that the upper dash is held in by only one screw, instead of the two shown above. Will add some photo's, if I get the chance, but follow what I've said and you won't go wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed my adapter, and it sounds great. I have trouble using the dension UI, so I just use the iPod UI, which I like better anyway. I do have the top vent, but I don't have digital controls. The sensor wasn't wired. I also didn't know where to attach the ground wire, but I ended up just wrapping it under a screw on the back of the radio, as the case of the radio is already grounded. I used the panavise mount instead of the proclip, because I'd rather have a metal mount. Thanks for the guide!!!!

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 43 Posts