Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’ve just purchased a mk4 Golf V6 4motion. It’s in good nick, with a few problems here and there, which I’ve noticed.

I’m very new to this, a friend suggested trying online forums. Basically I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me, I want the golf to be a project to work on. What are the things I should do, to ‘try’ and get it performing as it did straight out the factory mechanically i.e. which bits definitely need changing/updating, as I’m not convinced it’s has any work done on it for a while. Someone suggested I get all new bushes? Stuff like that? And budget friendly repairs to start please!!! :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Welcome.
Loads of information on this forum.
Start looking through member rides section to see what people have done.

you'll need VagCom to look up and clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes

replace
  • clutch pedal (and clutch position sensor)
  • brake vacuum hose
  • lock cylinder
  • coolant pipe / thermostat housing / thermostat
  • engine oil cooler
  • filters (oil, air, cabin, fuel)
  • accessories belt, tensioner, water pump, power steering pump
  • haldex filter
  • fluids & oils (engine oil, coolant, transmission, power steering, haldex)
  • spark plugs
  • engine & gear box mount and dog bone
  • both gear Cable Shifter Cable End Catches
  • brake rotors & pads
  • suspension (leave rears to last)
  • head lights
  • air con flap motors
  • air con black foam fix
  • driver door lock module
  • head unit, reverse camera

I've learnt heaps over 2 years and enjoyed myself.

But it all comes at a cost (financial & time)

You'll need a place to work and tools.

Even better if there's another car you can drive while this one is in pieces.

There's heaps I'm yet to do, including:
  • coolant pipes & connectors (should have done i when I replaced the coolant pipe)
  • prop shaft joint (donut / coupling / flexible disc / giubo)
  • air con compressor & dryer (& regas)
  • new leather
  • wheel repair & repaint
  • paint job

My 2003 V6 Bora journey is here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome.

replace
  • brake vacuum hose
  • lock cylinder
  • engine oil cooler
  • fluids & oils (engine oil, coolant, transmission, power steering)
  • spark plugs
  • brake rotors & pads
  • head lights
  • air con flap motors
  • air con black foam fix

• coolant pipes & connectors (should have done i when I replaced the coolant pipe)

Welcome.

replace
  • brake vacuum hose
  • lock cylinder
  • engine oil cooler
  • fluids & oils (engine oil, coolant, transmission, power steering)
  • spark plugs
  • brake rotors & pads
  • head lights
  • air con flap motors
  • air con black foam fix

Thanks for this, this is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for! :)

·
Registered
11,259 Posts
the only way to get a vr6 to run as it did when it was new is to replace all bearings, piston rings, all seals, all gaskets, chains, chain followers, sprockets, spark plugs, coils, all suspension parts, all drive parts, brakes all round including the disks, clutch & flywheel, clutch pedal fix or replace and a flush of the tank.... than you do the fresh fluids and filter service

it will be expensive and more of a restoration... and when you do the maths.... you can get a bmw m3 e36/audi s4 in good condition for the costs of all those parts... and that is without the hours a garage would charge to actually do the work, factor in a respray and we are talking m5 and rs4 money... just saying

i did it myself to and when i did the maths....... well i could've bought a pristine Nissan S15 R at the time.( this was in the 90-ties and already owned an bmw m3) so just keep in mind you are doing the car for yourself and don't care about the costs... that is the only way to deal with that ;)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi, I’ve just purchased a mk4 Golf V6 4motion. It’s in good nick, with a few problems here and there, which I’ve noticed.
And budget friendly repairs to start please!!! :)
🤣 Budget friendly! :ROFLMAO:

Sell it. Seriously. I am not kidding. No one uses those words in the context of owning one, unless your budget is big. Even if the car has been looked after you can still up end up smacked with something brewing you had no idea about, unless the person you brought it off was a very good liar...

By now at this age, it will have a host of issues which need resolving. Electrical, engine, emissions, door locks, steering, heating, cooling, and suspension being the main culprits. Thankfully rust is near the bottom of the list. If you do this as a project it shouldn't be a task as loads of parts are now either 2nd hand (high mileage breakers) or aftermarket (iffy quality) or custom made (expensive). New OEM parts since summer last year have become increasingly rare, so I wouldn't rely on that if your car is a picky b*tard about aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
Golf V6 4Motion
29 Posts
I purchased my golf v6 4motion in May last year and have been in the process of restoring it to original condition with a couple modifications here and there. Bought it on an eBay auction for £1440 and it had just had a new clutch and timing chain done as it had hit 110k miles however the fans were not working properly, there was a few oil leaks and it stunk of **** lol.

First jobs were full inspection, full service(all fluids and filters), all new spark plugs and coils, rocker cover gasket, crankshaft seal (wasn't replaced with clutch so was leaking), new crackpipe and thermostat, crankshaft pos' sensor, fan mod+control relay and a good few hours worth of an ozone machine + steamer to get rid of the smoke smell

Since then I've done pads and disks all round, sanded the paint back and polished for 'showroom' finish, new radiator, refurb alloys, exhaust gaskets, rear callipers rebuilt, front arm bushes, dogbone bush, rear trailing arm bushes, new battery, new boot handle assembly, both track rod inners and ends replaced, interior trim respray, fuel pump refurb and some general wiring fixes.

Probably missing a few things and I've also left out any modifications to parts that were in working order. I've done all of the work on the car myself and had access to trade prices on car parts through my work. If I was to estimate how much I've spent of refirb items alone I would say its no more than £1500 probably a few hundred less.

There's a couple things I still want to do including a full engine teardown and rebuild (inspect all parts and replace any faulty) for peace of mind, but I'll get to that another time.

My biggest problem money wise is the cost of fuelling the car, it absolutely guzzles through my student budget lol. Also can be hard to resist the urge to "replace this since I'm in here already", that can easily double the amount of money you'll spent on this car.

Also if you have access to a proper lift for the car it is an absolute blessing. Don't get me wrong I love working in my home garage and pretty much every job is possible with some axle stands and a jack but jobs are much easier and more comfortable from under a lift especially with the limited space in the engine bay making jobs more footery.

Hope this can give you at least some kind of an idea into owning and restoring one of these cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts