Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a Mk4 Golf GTI PD150, 2002 (52) which i have had from new. I have stored it poorly for several years, and as you can imagine, a few issues to resolve.
The biggest current issue is that the steering lock is stuck and therefore can't turn the key through to ignition. The steering wheel is locked, therefore i cant remove the steering wheel to get the lower cowl and remove to see anything.
Ive tried the paper clip in the ignition, to remove the barrel, but cant turn the key enough to release? Will i have to just bite the bullet and break off the lower cowl and is there an easy/ safe way to do it and just replace later? OR is there a common issue that stops the lock from releasing? AND (maybe a daft question - sorry) do you need the battery connected? I disconnected it to stop any jolting from setting off the air bag!

TIA

Paul

·
Registered
249 Posts
I feel your pain having just resurrected our 2002 PD130 which was also stored badly. We had a stuck gear shift, it was full of water, springs snapped, etc, etc! Unfortunately, I can't help re the steering lock as we didn't have that issue - hopefully, someone will be along soon to help. Have you tried lubricating the ignition switch? Presumably it's the ignition switch not turning which means the steering lock won't release? I'd possibly try silicone lubricant spray. I use it on our house locks which get stuck due to us being coastal - you need to spray the lock and key liberally and keep inserting and removing it so that it gets right into the lock. I don't think the battery needs to be connected to release the steering lock, I think it's a mechanical thing, but I could be wrong. Good luck!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rgm36 - Tried lubrication, been liberally applying for a few weeks! The key moves around, but just doesn't get to a point where it releases the steering lock! So frustrating as i want to see if the engine will turnover!! Its going to be a love hate relationship with this haha. I've had it from new, my first car i ever bought and a limited addition so has sentimental and some historic value to me. I'll keep plodding on.... thanks for your reply.
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Cloud

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The coil is just for the immo, battery is not needed to release steering lock.

As said by Adam, likely just the steering wheel needs to be turned a little more than expected to allow the key to turn.

Stand outside the car and rock the steering wheel left and right while turning the key, you can put more force on it that way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The coil is just for the immo, battery is not needed to release steering lock.

As said by Adam, likely just the steering wheel needs to be turned a little more than expected to allow the key to turn.

Stand outside the car and rock the steering wheel left and right while turning the key, you can put more force on it that way.
I've tried small amounts of pressure, to lots of pressure (standing outside as you suggested), and with the car jacked up at the front to lighten any load on the wheels/ axle - still wont get past the lock..... its so frustrating!! I give it a go most days just hoping the MK4 fairy has come down to lend a hand, but just wont budge!

Can you even remove the barrel without the key going past the lock position? I tried a paper clip and key to jiggle the barrel out, but that didn't work either....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts