Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, what a god awful task!!!! I removed mine yesterday, and what a fiddle. Drivers side no where near as bad as passenger side.. mainly due to the stupid location of the side nut on the passenger side (drivers side has a plug instead)

Anybody had these difficulties, and is there a guide or best practice as to how to fit, and unfir the rear lights on the Mk4?

[:(]

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Had to take mine out to get the bumper off. What a pig. I ended up inadvertantly snapping off the clip on the passenger side as I did the drivers side first and thought it was the same.

Overall bad design I think. Something as simple as getting the bulb holders out can turn into a major wrestling match.

NOT a difficult job but it's one of those that is very difficult to describe in text or even with the help of photo's. How can you describe what level of force and where to wiggle thing's in text ? One of those jobs that once you've done it, you'll not make same mistakes again but by that time it's to late (busted clip / peg for me).

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I nearly did exactly the same thing yesterday... somehow you gotta reach that tiny little nut in that tiny little hole, behind the carpet on the passenger side.... madness!!!! [:D]

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Did not find this job to be too bad when I changed my rear lights. However, I used a little blue tack in a socket to hold the nut in place so that it would not fall. It worked out OK with a small socket driver (the kind of thing that has a screwdriver handle and can take a variety of bits). Without one of those it would truly have been a major PITA for me.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Quote: posted by evilhomer on 23/11/2004 02:15:09

God damn it i lost the nut... someone pass me a magnet.[V]

if you look at the bottom of the panel you should be able to fish it out from there i did

·
Registered
63 Posts
Its utter madness! you would think Zee Germans would know better. the person who designed the fitment of those rear lights should burn in hell.

The first time I changed my rear lights a year ago i didnt expect anything more than a 8mm socket and about 5 mins. It took me about 2 hours, some lost nuts, some blu tack, a screwdriver socket set and lots and lots of foul language! oh, and i broke the clip off the passenger side where that stupid little hole under the carpet is and nearly cracked the lens as well...

I now need to do it all again today to fit some Hella RCCR's... im thinking of just driving to Audi and getting my mate to fit them for me because it simply is that much of a pain.

and has anyone tried to change a passenger side front indicator bulb?? i recently put silvervisions in mine and was swearing at volkswagen again!! its just stupid, you cant get your hand in and practically have to take the battery out. things are set to get worse with newer cars. the mechanics i know at Audi have just been sent on a "New A6" mechanics course and one of the points was that to change ANY front bulb in a new A6 required the removal of the front bumper and cost the customer ?65 plus bulb.... but dont worry... to change a rear tail bulb you "only" have to remove a "few things" and it should only take about a 1 hour to change a tail bulb. what a complete joke and the expensive laugh is on the customer.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Looking forward to seeing these lamps on your motors boys!!

Granted it's not the best design of lamp fitment but it isn't that difficult? Maybe it's just because I work with lamps all day but the MK4 golf has better lamp fitment than some newer model vehicles!!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Have to say that fitting bulbs to the front lights is a PITA but it can be done with a little practice. The rear lights are fiddly, and while I dreaded dropping one of the nuts, I don't think it is especially difficult with the right tool. Those comments from someone who is also from the school of little patience with a distinct propensity to swear at the car and curse its designers.[:)]

·
Registered
51 Posts
BLUE TACK, BLUE TACK, BLUE TACK, BLUE TACK, BLUE TACK, BLUE TACK, BLUE TACK, BLUE TACK, BLUE TACK................

It's FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
i jumped into this 2 feet 1st...

and fell flat on my face!

the passenger side was with out a doubt the hardest to do

but i did manage to scratch the drivers side bumper when pullin the light to the side [B)]

oh and...

DONT FORGET TO CHECK ALL THE SEALS ARE IN PLACE

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just swapped my lights for some Lexus style cluster, had a mission to take them off. theres 4 bolts holding the light on the passenger side and only 3 on the drivers.

the hardest one is the one in the lower corner of the light, but I ges if you take ure time u won't break the light like I did in frustration.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Go wash your mouth out after language like that! There are quite a few on here who would say that breaking a Lexus light is a result [:D]!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Chewing gum (chewed) works pretty well with a socket driver too!

Oh and I found a kebab skewer quite useful for fishing out the nut I lost...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had to remove mine on my old Mk4 Golf to change bumpers, had the R32 kit on it.

I snapped one side too, ended up having to buy new lights for rear but if your careful you should be able to do with a long reach socket, 8mm/10mm If I remember correctly was a couple+ years ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts