Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a mk4 with 17" LMs and a 30mm drop and the car seems really low, I cannot go over speed bumps without hitting, I cannot actually get into car washes and car park bumps make a horrible noise as if the under carriage is going to fall apart!

I have quite a large gap between arch and wheel and want to slam it but I believe even at 50mm which still wont be enough the car will scrape on anything and everything. All of my mates have said they have yet to see a cars underbelly look so low on something dropped so little.

Should I be worried about something or is this standard?

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
sounds a bit off to me, shouldnt be hitting speedbumps on a 30mm drop. my golf doesnt hit any speed bumps, apart from the ones near my work which are almost double the hight they should be. maybe your comming at them too fast?

another thing it could be is something might be worn out, like bushes. get the car in the air and check for any movement that shouldnt be there.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the replies guys, I know what u mean about going to fast but I have started to really slow down and change the way I drive. I have my mot this week so I will check the bushes.

Not 100% sure on tire size believe the wall reads 205/40 if that means much?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I am only lowered 35-40mm and mine seems incredibly low to the ground for such a small drop too mate im on 17" too and 225-40-17 tyres too so the profile is the same as you . I have to go over 2 speed bumps at once one the horrible ones that theres 3 off in the middle of the road, or a normal bump i have to go over long ones REALLY slow or the really short high ones i go over diagonal (not sure why, seems to help) otherwise i scrape on everything, it took me a while to get used to as i was used to driving at a standard height but once you have the hang of it i can get over anything without scraping you just have to know how to and you best start getting use to having angry people behind you as you block up the road going so slow over them or waiting for a gap in traffic to go over two at once ;)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alrite cheers guys, ive been taken it easy for a while and havnt scrapped for a good while because of being careful!

I just wanted to know if there was something wrong with how low it was for 30mm but im glad other people experience the same thing!

Cheers for the answers guys!

·
Registered
14,780 Posts
I am only lowered 35-40mm and mine seems incredibly low to the ground for such a small drop too mate im on 17" too and 225-40-17 tyres too so the profile is the same as you . I have to go over 2 speed bumps at once one the horrible ones that theres 3 off in the middle of the road, or a normal bump i have to go over long ones REALLY slow or the really short high ones i go over diagonal (not sure why, seems to help) otherwise i scrape on everything, it took me a while to get used to as i was used to driving at a standard height but once you have the hang of it i can get over anything without scraping you just have to know how to and you best start getting use to having angry people behind you as you block up the road going so slow over them or waiting for a gap in traffic to go over two at once ;)
if you are on 17" wheels, you really should be on 45profile tyres.

also, if you are still on springs and shocks, it will still be abit floaty drive so going over a speed hump and even a moderate speed, you may bottom out. going for coilovers will stiffen the ride giving less chance for the bounce on each bump in the road and wont bottom out

also, could it possibly be an issue with engine mounts dying out and/or dropping?

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
As Hamidi pointed out your tyre size seems to be a bit small.

Im assuming that all Golfs run wheels which have the same circumfrence, thus using my tyres as an example (225-40-18), the mid-point of the alloy to the ground is 31.5cm's...with you using 205-40-17 tyres you are effectively lowering your car just over 20mm as the distance is now 29.45cm's.

By changing to a 205-45-17 tyre you will still have a smaller cicumfrence than from factory, and will still be over 1cm lower than from factory (a distance of 30.475cm's from mid alloy to floor) but will effectively raise the car 10mm which will potentially aid.

(Well thats the theory anyway...)

·
You ain't seen me, right?
3,778 Posts
also, have a look at your mudflaps, might be these catching (front)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts