Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mk iv golfs are going up in price. my car has gone up 400 on a private value since last month. and the mk4 is the most popular used car search on whatcar.com

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's great news, I'm looking to sell my mk4 soon and was a little dispappointed whilst checking Autotrader a few weeks back, saw similar cars going for £4500 when I had only bought it a year earlier for £6500!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did my details. 2000 W reg 1.6 8v se    46400 miles and private came back with 4990 or call it 5k. with my extras and a 2year 7month warranty on it i could fetch much more maybe

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
i did my details. 2000 W reg 1.6 8v se 46400 miles and private came back with 4990 or call it 5k. with my extras and a 2year 7month warranty on it i could fetch much more maybe
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you will never reach 5k on a W reg 1.6 8v. As for fetching much more, doubt it.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'll get 5 k easily if i sell now

and the website is autotrader and you will find the whatcar valuations chart

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
i'll get 5 k easily if i sell now

and the website is autotrader and you will find the whatcar valuations chart
LOL ok. You try it, let me know when you have succesfully, 'easily' sold it for 5k or above!

I couldn't shift a Y reg 1.8T with recaro's and in mint condition, allbeit with double your miles for much more than 4k. Many have the same problem. Mine was 'valued' at £5300.

After 8 months of trying to sell, let it go for £4100.

It's not just me having encountered problems selling either. People looking for 1.6's are also looking for a bargain, they are looking at peugeots, fords etc. If they are looking for a 1.6 they want cheap.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it doesnt have ful service history but it does have everything you could want in a car and i think the warranty will be a major selling point

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
it doesnt have ful service history but it does have everything you could want in a car and i think the warranty will be a major selling point
I'm not trying to be nasty or anything like that, but just telling it how it is, from my own experience, experience of others on here also.

A 6 year old car, not a full service history, 16 8v, which was probably worth 14k new, is not going to sell now for 5k or above. Extra's do not make a tiny bit of difference to the price, it's something you look for as a buyer if you want them, but dont mean you pay more for them, exception being leather seats.

I've done a proper valuation for you, using a proper and respected valuation guide. You'd be lucky to get 4k, especially without the full service history.

Make sure your sitting down. May be 3 door not 5, but here you go:

Vehicle summary

Volkswagen Golf SE
1.6 Petrol 5-door Hatchback
5 Speed Manual Front Wheel Drive
Year: 2000 W
Mileage: 48,000

Estimated value of your car

Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition:
£3890
Average condition:
£3450
Below average condition:
£2980

It's not such an easy 5k!!!!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Noone not even warranty direct will honour the warranty without a full service history and as graham said .. ignore those valuations... the best test is check autotrader for exact same cars .. ring them after a week and see if there sold.. bet they wont be? or if they have its been for massive knock down.

hell my w reg 4motion with a full hit of extras is only worth 5.5 to 6 k ... a 1.6 wouldnt get near it

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'd agree with Graham on this one, a quick look on Autotrader shows dealers are charging £4995 tops for 1.6SE cars between 2000 and 2001 so you could get a Y plate for this money with FSH from a dealer and in a more neutral colour. They might not have all the extras yours does but they seem to be coming in with the usual SE spec with 6 disc changers and sunroofs on some. The lack of a FSH will knock about £500 off the price you can get for yours against one with a FSH.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I got my 1999 1.8T with full vw history and a 1 year warranty with only 45k on the clock for £5250. Pretty good i thought, cant see how you would get 5grand for yours mate no offence.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been looking to buy the right MKIV for over 3 months now and I've
seen prices going down not up. I think the valuation check is wrong.
Look at what you can buy on autotrader for 6 grand and under (make them
an offer) and you'll even see some V6 4 motions.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
im just going by what the valuation check said
Follow my valuation, honestly. What car, parkers etc are crap, you never get anywhere near that kind of money.

Its just you said 5k would be easy. Easy if it was a different car maybe!!

My valuation is from the glasses guide. Knock off a couple of hundred at least for the lack of full service history. If you part echange it, knock off a lot more, dealers don't like cars without FSH as they are notouriously hard to sell on to the public.

You would need a private sale really, and thats gonna net you less or just about the same as trade in price.My thinking would be £3800.

Andy made a good point about the warranty, the lack of service history makes it null and void. All warranties require servicing.

·
Registered
207 Posts
one of my mates just bought a bora v6 4 motion for £5000. only 55K on the clock too (no leather though, very low spec)

another mate just sold his 51 plate GTI 1.8T for £3400.

Prices are low, very low.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
my black golf 1.4 2003 53 reg 13,000 miles on it perfect condition i bought it for £7,500 from a peugoet dealers and vw offerd me £7,995 for it. so they could sell it for about £9000 on the for court but i have now put 16,000miles on it and whatcar sed my value is £7500 so what i bought it for basicly

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
one of my mates just bought a bora v6 4 motion for £5000. only 55K on the clock too (no leather though, very low spec)

another mate just sold his 51 plate GTI 1.8T for £3400.

Prices are low, very low.
thats about right.. they are very low... unless its a dirty diesel and then super high.....

·
Registered
920 Posts
went to get a trade in price on my golf diesel the other week its a 1.9 tdi pd yr 2000 144000 miles x reg was offered £4500 don't think that is too bad for the mileage ?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts