Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to sell my Golf PD150 and get a BMW 320D, I love the golf but would like something a little bigger. How much should I expect to sell my golf for? Its a Metalic Black May 2002 model PD150, Heated Recaro Leather seats, Xenon headlights, winter pack, climate control, criuse control, tinted windows, 34,000 miles, new tyres, full service history, it is a UK car not a import, its been very well looked after and in mint condition.

Thinking of advertising it on this site, Ebay and autotrader can anyone suggest anywhere else?

Also what is the general feeling of the 320D, I searched and it seems to be that they are considered slightly better than the VAG diesels? Any clue's where to find a good secondhand one?

Thanks

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have driven an early 320D(136bhp version) and wasn't impressed. It was very reluctant to accelerate from stationary and didn't feel as quick as a 130TDI Golf under any condition. The 150TDI that I drove would leave this 320d standing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a 136 bhp 320d and like Matt says its slow from stationary but once its moving it goes well and would leave many a hot hatch standing.At the end of the day its a much heavier car than the Golf.Is it high performance what your after?If so go for 150 bhp 320d which is slightly better or the 330d sport.You could even go down the tuning box route or chipping if performance is what you want.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a 330D Sport which is fantastic (soon to be replaced with 330cd)-I have driven the 320d recently in the 150 BHP form and that too is a great car if you can stretch to the couple of grand difference between the 320 and the 330 then I would definately go for the 330.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You can order now with a delivery date of April onwards, if all the reviews I read last year are true then its going to be a very nice car. Was also thinking about an X3 but the 3.0 D is'nt out at 1st delivery and not to sure about the looks without seeing one in the flesh.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replys, its not so much performance I'm looking for I want something bigger than my Golf although it must be fairly quick! It would be the 150bhp 320 I'd look for, the 330d sport would be a dream but its out of my price range and insurance would not be good as I'm only 24!

What kind of price do people think for mine? I've looked on parkers and 12 - 13k would be right for a standard car but mine has the recaro's, xenons etc would 14,000 possibly 14,500 be about right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just to update, I test drove the 320d 136bhp version the weekend and that was far too slow, it was a SE model and did not even have a CD player??!! I'm going to try a 150bhp and the 330d to see what I like.

The dealer offered 14k for mine which I though was ok for a dealer.

·
Registered
895 Posts
i had a test drive on the 150bhp 320D Sport and the car felt a bit reluctant to accelerate, not as willing as on the PD150. i also noticed there's a lot of cabin vibration (on gear knob especially) when idling.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well you have to remember the BMW will weigh a lot more than the Golf so that will slow it down.Now i have got used to mine i know the gears better and what you can get out of each one.The clutch also takes some getting used to for pulling away quickly.I wiped the floor with a Pug 306 Turbo D the other night.He kept tailgating me so i left him in my smoke [:D].Definate boy racer with under car neons and window washer lights.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I agree with Kev; the clutch does take some getting used to. The biting point is harder to detect than in my Golf so smooth gear changing is harder.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I test drove a 330d Sport 2001 model the weekend and was very pleased. The car felt excellent around corners and was a much quieter, smoother ride than my Golf. It still did not have the sporty feel of the Golf but as many have said its a heavier car and I think it just did not give the same sensation as the Golf but is faster really just not very aparent.

I did really like the car though and have decided to go for one, dealer offered 14k for my car just as the previous dealer did.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Just on the 320D - Auto Express tried it against the A3 PD140 and the Golf with same engine and they were both quicker.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I've got the 150bhp engined car, it's a superb motor with 16v common rail system etc (you probably know more about the spec than me!) A friend (who works for BMW) has a 330d Sport auto, his comment was 'mine doesn't feel that much different'. I agree with him the 330d is a beast (and don't be deceived by the 'feeling' of speed) and just awesome with a chip, but it's just not the head and shoulders difference you'd expect.

IMHO the 3 series is just as fast in the real world as the Golf. If you want a bigger car and can afford a 330d then go for it, if not and cost/economy is a major factor then the facelifted 320 will be just what you need. Let's face it you can chip/tune the car to over 190bhp (according to some[;)]) and then the difference to a std 330 is negligible.

HTH

R

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dean, a UK Dealer PD150 with the all important must have goodies that yours has makes it very desirable. I would have thought advertise it for ?14,750 and make ?14,000 your bottom line. I looked at a 320d before purchasing my VW but was put off by the cost of the extras and how much didn't come as standard. The 320d is a great drivers car though and has excellent build quality. A good tuning upgrade will give you 330d performance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts