Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I?m thinking of buying an OEM Sat Nav unit. I?ve already got the triplex roof ariel and the FIS instrutment cluster.

What are you opinions, to get one or not. I do like the OEM look.

Cheers

aRd

·
Registered
259 Posts
Go for it, i love it. Ive had a PS2 pluged into it for a while now as a DVD player too, and its great. Im now looking into getting the OEM TV tuner as this can be controlled from the Sat Nav unit making this very easy to have! If i were you id go for this too...

Wez

·
Registered
V6 4Motion
901 Posts
But do you use it for Navigation ? [;)] I have been thinking along the same lines - a TomTom or similar would be a more sensible buy but the OEM look is much better IMO. I haven't been able to justify getting one (at ?600 or thereabouts) becuase I hardly ever go anywhere unfamilar, I think I'll spend the cash getting it remapped at Jabber instead.

Incidentally I thought you only needed the antenna to go behind the dashboard what's an FIS instrument cluster ?

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Ard, if youve got a FIS cluster, i would definately go for the OEM satnav as all the directions and cd/radio data will be displayed there as well, it looks wicked, ive got the FULL FIS cluster as well but need to get it fitted, OH , have you got a FULL FIS display?, ie FULL HEIGHT, or only half height?, and whats an oem triplex aerial doing on your car anyway, did someone pinch the oem satnav before?.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all

I retro fitted a full height FIS cluster panel, its is good at the moment displays the radio station, cd track etc. Triplex aerial I also retro fitted. I wanted to use that for my mobile aerial, keeping it OEM

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quote: posted by R44MS_K on 12/01/2005 08:54:42

can an FIS be fitted to a non FIS dsah?

If you are asking if you can remove the computer display from an existing cluster and put in a full height, I think the answer is yes, but it is very very scary and difficult, but everyone has reccomened me to change the whole cluster, but at the moment, I cant find one for my car.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ram,

ofcourse FIS can be fitted to old style dash, send me you cluster part no, use vagcom to read it. I'll tell you which FIS cluster will work. I know someone on this forum has two different FIS clusters for sale, these are rare to get hold.

I've done quite a few swaps

aRd

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote: posted by RichieDan on 12/01/2005 09:26:33

Quote: posted by R44MS_K on 12/01/2005 08:54:42

can an FIS be fitted to a non FIS dsah?

If you are asking if you can remove the computer display from an existing cluster and put in a full height, I think the answer is yes, but it is very very scary and difficult, but everyone has reccomened me to change the whole cluster, but at the moment, I cant find one for my car.

NO you can't remove the computer display in your existing cluster and replace it will a FULL one.

The electronic for both completely different.

Change the whole cluster. Did you find out the part no of you cluster RichieDan

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
R44MS_K, you need to ask Andyturbo, they're in the classifieds.

hz2921 best if you ring Tom for a price, its depends on the length of warranty etc. Tom will look after you. I thought you bought yours from him

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
also it depends if they non can bus one you need, these are rare. I guess you'll need them

for an early car

the part no will be like 1J0 919 941C if for a TDi

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only set of non can FIS clock I know of sale in the UK are by AndyTurbo, a forum member

Ram otherwise start searching german ebay. Thats a risk to buy from and non can bus FIS are hard to find.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts