Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Just wondering if you could clarify something for me.

What I am looking into is whether VW offered the mk4 1.8T GTi with a choice of leather. The basic jist is that I am looking for is a 1.8T GTi, (2001 onwards 180bhp) but have set my heart on a black one, but I want the cream/beige leather in it. I have been scouring Autotrader/Ebay/the gallery on this forum etc and don't seem to be able to find anywhere a 1.8T in black with the cream beige leathers.

I have seen it on the V5, and obviously the V6 4Mo, so was just wondering if anyone knew if they ever did offer this combination to customers on the 1.8T from new?? I currently have a V5 (170) in silver, so don't really want another one, I would like a V6, but don't think I could hack the costs, so really I am looking for a 1.8T, but am I barking up the wrong tree with this spec on this model??

Also, am I right in saying that there were 2 types, the 'smaller' Recaros as it were with the smaller bolsters without the embossed Recaro logo, and the ones with bigger bolsters and the logo branded into the seat?

Many thanks

Baz

·
Registered
829 Posts
I'm fairly sure I've seen black GTi's with beige leather
interior. I'd be surprised if they didn't offer it when it was
available on other models. RE the leather seats, you can either
get the standard sports seats with a bit of side bolstering, or the
embossed Recaro sports seats with even more bolstering.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Someone local to me has a metallic black V reg 1.8T with cream leather. I assume it was a factory fit. My '99 black 1.8T has black Recaro leather. I believe all Recaro seats (including leather) were phased out in 2001 on the 1.8T's and VW put in their own version - including their own leather seats. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for your help guys

I guess I will have to continue the hunting to see if I can find one. Its only an idea at the moment as i'm happy with my V5, but if the right car comes up...

At least now I know I am not hunting for a car that doesn't exist!!

Cheers all

Baz

·
Registered
829 Posts
At least now I know I am not hunting for a car that doesn't exist!!
Just to be sure I'd go into a local VW dealer and speak to someone who
looks like they know what they're on about. They have access to
all the old options booklets so should be able to check for certain.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been to my local dealer but they were as usual about as helpful as an ashtray on a motorbike. If its a query on your car ie one like this it seems they weren't interested. The only way to get their attention is to say you have 20k in your sky rocket and want to order a new car...

That said they were busyish at the time, and maybe I got the wrong salesman at the wrong time? Or is it that my judgement that all VW salesman are quite snobby is truthful??

Even the chap in the parts department who does the back counter said he wouldn't know and he sees the cars in and out everyday...

Might be worth another crack when I am down that way next

Cheers for your help mate

Baz

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I am pretty sure this was an option, but its not a popular mix, you tend to see more blues with the cream and black cars generally with the black leather. As for Recaros, you would need to find a early 2001 car, as they changed that year. How about just getting one with black leather and doing a DIY swap to cream (if you can find some), just a thought.

I have to say, I havn't ever seen a Black MK4 with cream leather and took 3 months to find my blue one.

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Black 3 door Gti came with cream/beige leather from the factory, its
a great colour combination, i have just changed the seats in it for
some reacro's in beige for added pleasure :)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Beige was an option my sister has beige leather sport seats not as comfy as the recaros though , if it doesnt sat recaro on the seat they are not recaro,they are sport seats.alot of garages and sellers will tell you seats are recaro when they are not.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers for all your help guys. I will retry my local dealer soon see if they can be a bit more helpful, but it sounds like a car with this combo does exist and they are out there, albeit I will have to do a bit of hunting.

As for the interior swap, I really cant be asked with an interior swap, both the sourcing, getting and installing. Can't be asked with all that anymore!! Plus it seems that a set of decent cream leathers goes for over ?1000 with the door cards. Plus, I think I'm right in saying that the bottom parts of the dash and other bits are beige too so I'd rather just keep looking for the perfect car thats the way I want it out of the factory!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Beige/ black/ Recaros where options i think. I still have the options book somewhere. Got my Black GTi in 2003 with black VW leather seats, which was an option.

The recaros are an option too, more expensive than the VW made ones (without the logo).

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm guessing that the black with cream leather is a rare spec to find, especially with Recaros. There doesnt even seem to be many 4Mos about with this spec.

The hunt goes on. Like I said there is no rush and I would have to have the cash waiting so I could move on a car if I did find one, which would mean either selling mine and buying a banger for however long it might take, or chancing finding one at a garage/dealer and paying top whack on top of a rubbish p/x on mine.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have actually spotted the perfect car on Autotrader.

2002 52 1.8T (presumably 180?) in black with cream leather. 59k with FSH. Immac. Up at ?7495 ono, which seems a good price regardless of if it has the Recaro leather or not.

There are also a couple of 5drs about, and even a 2.0 GTi with this spec!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
According to my brochures; these were the interior options on a May 2001> black GTI 1.8T:

Black & anthracite, Black & red or Black & blue cloth VW style sports seats.

Cream leather, Black leather or Grey leather VW sports seats or Recaros were available as options.

Other GTI models and V5, V6 were also offered with cloth sports seats.

Black GTIs with cream leather interiors are certainly rare; I've had 3 black MK4 GTIs and when searching for them I spotted hardly any with the cream interior.

Regards the 1.8T in autotrader for ?7495; I would almost bet my car on it being a 150. Either that or it's bargain of the year; 180s are very rare hence they command quite high prices.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Many thanks for delving into the brochure Matt, its much appreciated.

Not overly fussed if its a 150 or 180 as it would be remapped anyways. That price does seem very good either way.

Just keeping my eye out at the mo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts