Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how small? might get the GF to give it go but failing that  i heard it's a right pain in the arse to do

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The first time I changed lamps in my stock GTI headlights it took me 45minutes.

I've since upgraded to Xenon headlight and due to the ballasts on the rear and
FMIC piping its almost impossible to change them in situ so its a
bumper off job.

This takes around 30 minutes and a damn site easier than fiddling around and cutting your hands to shreads!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whats xenons? is this a different bulb or whole lamp unit. i am sure it's a bulb and have seen it befroe

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
whats xenons? is this a different bulb or whole
lamp unit. i am sure it's a bulb and have seen it befroe
A new set of headlights with xenon bulbs which require a ballast and an ignitor to strike the bulb.

The 'xenon' bulbs on ebay which fit into standard headlights aren't the same.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well i'm totally confused because i've done both sides before and neither took me more than 10 mins. Maybe i just got hands like a woman. lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also found out my rear brake lamp on the same side isn't working. are these limked off the same fuse or anything.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I don't think so, if that was the case, then when one blows, it will blow the other and that doesn't happen.

But brake light connections on MK4's are dodgy at the best of times... I can't tell you how many i've seen with one brake light working, or one dimmer than the other. Just clean the connections with some contact cleaner, or gently prise the connector closer to the bulb terminal for a better connection!! [:)]

·
Registered
47 Posts
...either that or you're Paul Daniels?!

You've probably got an early Mk IV - as there is no space at all between the passenger side headlight and the battery box on my Anni.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It is a pain I agree! Take the plastic battery cover off to give yourself a bit more room. I've managed to change side light bulbs, indicators and dipped beams without taking the bumper off. Indicator on the battery side was by far the most difficult, had to get my mum to remove it cos her hands are smaller but managed to get it back in myself with several minutes of loud profanity!

But yeah, if you can be bothered, take the bumper off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
....or even easier, when having called out VW Assistance mention to Mr VW Repair man the problem with the bulbs and accept his kind offer to replace the bulbs for you - took him 15-20mins to change ALL 8 bulbs!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thought it would be a ten minute job to change my bulbs to the xenon upgrade bulbs ive purchased. Boy was i WRONG!!

Its an absolute P1SS take, i managed to get the dipped beam out when trying to replace it i gave up... thought it was just me... so now i have one side working and one not...

You have to take the bumper off?? WTF

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lol, mods always take about 5 times longer than you anticipate! You should be able to do this without taking the bumper off and removing the entire headlight though. Its just a bit fiddly. If I remember correctly the dipped bulbs have a metal clip holding them in place so you'll have to feel around to unclip it then the bulb should come out easily enough. Apparently removing the bumper isn't too difficult so if you've got the time and have given up doing this the 'quick' way then take the bumper off mate.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry, I worded my response badly. You're right, you can't take the headlight unit out without removing the bumper. It is however possible to replace the bulbs without removing the headlight unit. Hope you get it sorted anyways mate. If you haven't already done so, you might wanna change any other bulbs (such as indicators) whilst you have the unit out to save future grief!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
first time i tried it took me about 1.5 hours to change to bulbs without the bumper off - haha - how hopeless am i!!!! [8-|]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Buy your bulbs from Halfords then take advantage of their "Fit it for ?2.99" (or was it ?4.99) offer. Then watch them curse... [:p]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts