Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, how much am I looking at paying for a new water pump? I have read somewhere that ?35-40 is about right?

Is this correct??

Havng a coolant problem, thermostat replaced already, diagnostics .. current quote is ?156 for work carried out.

Think they said ?200 with the water pum, though I am now panicking thinking they said an additional ?200 for the water pump ...

Any idea what is more likely the figure??

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sounds like your water pump,they have crap plastic impellers that break up !!!.i paid ?23.50 for the pump from gsf and it had a brass impeller.Have u had your cambelt changed ?? as it would be a good time to get it all done,parts ?135 inc water pump and i got it all changed at a local garage for ?90 cash.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what the engineer said, something about the impellers.

cambelt hasn't been changed, apparently doesn't need it until 120K. (my car is currently 65K) Been fully VW serviced though so expect it to be ok.

So do you reckon ?35 is about right for the water pump then?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update .. the stealers did want ?175 labour to fit the ?25 part. As a result, I am buying the part from them only and will fit it myself.

Unbelievable labour costs ...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
they're a pain in the bum to fit...everything has to come out, which is why it's worth fitting the cambelt/tensioners at the same time! Good luck doing it yourself! [:)]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers ... just refuse to give a stealer another ?175 on top of the ?175 I already owe him for a problem he has not fixed yet ...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well considering I have now got my local garage to do it for ?60 then I think saving the ?115 by taking it out of the stealers is pretty good business on my part ...

·
Registered
131 Posts
dont know nothing about the petrol GTi's but if u only got 65k on the clock dont u have a cambelt changed at 60k..if so why didnt u do the water pump at the sametime..i would if the motors i got ...needed it ..piece of mind...?300 carlos thats a good price .but i got a diesel so wouldnt know ..maybe be different but sounds good price

·
Registered
280 Posts
It really makes sense to get cambelt and tensioners changed while ur getting the water pump done for 2 reasons,1 no extra labour cost to speak of so why pay it all out again in maybe a years time and 2 peace of mind.You would be mad not to and i 'm sure most people on here would agree with me.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Do it! Change the belt & tensioner. 120K change - no way. Way to long. I always change mine about 50-60k, much cheaper this way and piece of mind.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
if it's on 65k.. do it now ! and do the water pump and the tensioners and associated bits at the same time. I asked to look at my water pump when mine was done the same time as the cambelt last october and VW wanted ?35 for it.. the old one ! .. if not it gets remanufactured.. so the one you get will only be a reconditioned one anyway !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers for the advice guys ... got the cambelt and water pump done at my local garage for ?88! (I had bought the water pump separately)

Seems I got a pretty good price ... car is running perfectly now..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the black plastic at the back was cracked into 2 pieces ...

Stealer still gave me money back for it right enough ...

·
Registered
487 Posts
That's a good price - Unfortunately I was too late with mine and blew the head gasket [:O] - Luckily it was under warranty [:)]!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts