Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do I start!

I have a good mate from work who is into his VAG cars and has a 1.8T Golf and is going to change it soon. Being a convert to TDis i have been trying to sell the benefits on having one over sticking with the petrol engines and offered to let him drive my car as a bit of a test drive. I warned him to take it easy, and he did, he knows what i'm like.

But... a little bit too much of the go go pedal over a tiny hump back bridge had it in the air; all four wheels left the ground, and it landed with the most awful sound i've ever heard[:(]

The undertray and side panels are finished, and the tray had a hole in it where the gearbox nailed the tarmac. Its got marks on it from that and I can't suss if the drain plug, situated at the same place in weeping. Front valence is finished too, as all four mudflaps are, bottoms scraped an it landed.

Even the rear window sunblind is bust, it now won't roll back in!

Sump is ok, and it seems to drive straight and true without wobbles, but i'll get it all aligned up to be sure.

So then; what else could be damaged? I'll have it at the dealers tomorrow for a check to see whats going on, but what bits hidden away will need a cursory check for fitness? I know the intercooler pipes will need a look as will the gearbox but what about suspension parts and the steering bits?

All respect to my mate though, it was an accident and straight away he said he'd be at mine tomorrow morning to come to the dealers to get it checked and pay for the damaged bits, so I'm (suprisingly) not mad at all.[:O] If he'd been driving like a prat i'd have had something to say but these things happen-must be chilling out in the old age lol!!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Sounds strange the your sump survived though, as I had exactly the same
senario with a hump back bridge and my V5, only damage was the sump
though.

I even managed to drive from around 20 miles before the STOP warning came on the MDF.

Posted Image

Look at the strange shape that was left by the oil on my sump, freaky or what !!

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did only your sump bite the dust? did any other of the mechanical components need replacing or checking?

Hows the car been since?

·
Registered
123 Posts
lol at rfsteel pics [:D]

My sump went just 1 week of getting my golf, went over a kerb at a funny angle. Costed about ?190 to get done.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Did only your sump bite the dust? did any other of the mechanical components need replacing or checking?

Hows the car been since?
Just the sump was replaced, cost around ?230 with long life oil at a dealer.

Since then I'm have the standard suspension replaced with coilovers and
it's had Eibach ARB's and Powerflex bushes fitted, along with 2
longlife services and nothing else as come to light from my mishap.

The only thing I have done, is invested in a DieselGeek sump guard to prevent the same thing happening again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I believe the sump on the V5 sits lower than on the other models which might explain it hit.

That Dieselgeek plate looks nothing like the one I got from them some time ago. I think the one they supplied to me was a standard VW item with two arms extending from the sides. Mine was also painted black and had a corrugated surface.

In terms of the original question, I would check all mounts and the shocks and then go for a full four wheel alignment check to ensure everything is as it should be. Hope it's OK.

·
Registered
287 Posts
that's nothin.

When I were a lad (back in the day and all) my mate and I used to see how much air we could get going over a hump back bridge that leads into a car park. We used to go into the carpark first to make sure no-one was in there, then reverse the 600 yards back up the hill, then floor it. The best was a clear 6' in the air. That hurt on landing. Only damage to the car was the stereo fell inside the dash!!!

Great laugh. He had a D reg Nova and I had a mk2 Fiesta.

Only problem with goign to VW is of anything has a scrape on it, the report will say "xxx is damaged - needs reqplced, xxx is damaged - needs replaced etc etc etc "

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
6 feet? wow - that's a lot. I thought heights like that would finish a car off once and for all.

~ Maxie
It did to a 306 we had a work. One of my colleagues with me in the passenger seat decided to jump a bridge. The car grounded noisily and we were left with a written off car in deepest darkest Wales. It was a long journey back by the AA. It was the electrics that got the car written off, not the broken sump and suspension.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
KL_18 and MikeTDI,

All the info you need, including the differences between the two types of plate, can be found here

http://www.dieselgeek.com/panzer.php

Some of the comments made me laugh though - "An integral three-point stress ?bar? at the rear of the skid plate stiffens the somewhat under-reinforced rear suspension subframe and eliminates the need for costly aftermarket lower stress bars."

I was the one who told Jim that the original steel plate did the same as the lower S3 bar. Next Dieselgeek starting selling S3 bars. Now that they have their own skidplate, they quote that you don't need to get a lower bar. In addition, at about 15UKP for the S3 bar, it's hardly a costly mod.

Please note I am not criticizing Dieselgeek, just having a laugh at some of the comments. I had very good service from them when I ordered mine and got the impression that Jim is very thorough.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
rfsteel may I ask how much the guard costed you?
As pope1 has said, all the prices are available on the Diesel Geek
website, and the postage for this item, which is Ali cost $105 for a 3
day FedEx service from the US.

As has been mentioned before, the service recieved from Jim and Diesel Geek was second to none.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its been to the dealers, and luckily got a clean bill of heath mechanically.

?300 of trim/undertray for the front, fitted Monday.

Four wheel align done at Awesome on wednesday, as well as another inspection.

And the headlamps will need to be realigned too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lol just brought back memories of my "fight" with a 3" temporary ramp
at roadworks down my way, i hit it at 50mph and smashed the sump clean
open, ripped the plastic engine tray clean off, damaged ma engine
mounts, killed both front suspension arm bushes, damaged engine
electrics and finally was billed ?1300 for full engine rebuild as
engine siezed immediately 50yards down road lol !..... only concilation
was they changed my long overdue cambelt and re-bored the lump to
1.7ltrs! Hows that for a lesson on approaching poorly signposted
roadworks on a dark remote road !!!!!!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts